Author Topic: Serrated or straight edge steak knives?  (Read 16403 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Serrated or straight edge steak knives?
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 12:07:43 PM »
Before you throw away or not use those serrated knives, you might want to look at having them sharpened or purchase a sharpener that does both straight edge and serrated knives. I bought mine on Amazon.com and for a very reasonable price and sharpened my serrated knives and result was better than expected. I figured that if it did not work, I was no different than before I started. Now, I am much better off and get a nice smooth cut with these knives. They actually perform better than new.

Don't cut your self. I always touch my self on the finger to feel the blade. Didn't realize how sharp they were and and cut myself with hardly any pressure at all.

Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener - $25.99 - with Prime it ships for free in 2 days. It received a rating of 4.4 out of 5 with 1330 reviews.

Ed

Ed that is the exact same knife sharpener I use and it works really well but I did not know it can sharpen serrated knives.

Read the description on Amazon and reviews plus direction book.  Works for me.

Ed

Cool thanks.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »
I don't care , when i do a steak i cut it with a fork. ;)
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 09:26:37 PM »
Cabela's opens it new store here (the only one in GA) Thursday morning and they carry the Worx knife sharpener.  I've look at its Orion (or something like that) model on YouTube and it seems to be a great one.  I'm thinking about getting it.  It's around $140 and you can sharpen just about everything with it.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 10:15:59 PM »
I think that part of the equation in selecting a sharpening system is:

1. Japanese blades or Euro style?  Each have a different angle for sharpening. Choosing the sarong angle for your blade will - at best make it harder to sharpen - or remove so much metal to correct - that it reduces the life of the knife.

2. Cost of the knives you plan on sharpening. If you knives are moderately priced knives - then there is not so much risk. If your knives are very high quality, and thus - high in cost...I would not trust them to affixed angle electric sharpener. There are too many good professional sharpening services available. They are not expensive - and there is typically a guarantee of quality work by the sharpening service.

3. If you REALLY want to sharpen knives on your own as part of the craft of cooking and - if the lives are fairly pricey ones -  you may want to consider the Wicked Edge system, or a V-Sharp Classic III - or KME - or even an Apex system. These are all adjustable angle, repeatable process manual sharpeners that can create "shaving sharp" blades. Of course - they depend on you to read, practice and gain skill. But they do simplify and accurize the task .

Really - there may not be one "best" answer.  You may have knives that you sharpen on an electric. And - you may have some that you have a professional sharpen for you ( Williams-Sonoma stores always have a service  for this.)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 02:23:52 AM »
... Choosing the sarong angle for your blade will - at best make it harder to sharpen - or remove so much metal to correct - that it reduces the life of the knife.

I've always found that the sarong angle is important but must be considered in conjunction with the quality of the sarong filling. Given those variables, the blade angle tends to take care of itself.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Hub

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »
Got rid of serrated ones. Straight edge cuts better and can always be touched up with a steel.

True, but:  A really good (read that moderately expensive) serrated steak knife will not become dull from contact with the plate or other cutting surface like a straight edge knife will.  It is the cheap ones that tear meat.  I have both kinds and appreciate them for what they are.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN