Author Topic: For those who own a Traeger pellet grill  (Read 3865 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
For those who own a Traeger pellet grill
« Reply #-1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:54:02 AM »
I had issues with my Traeger hopper that I use for the SRG pellet pooper.  Seems the temp would not go above 250 no mater what the setting (I use the standard 3 way controller)

I timed my auger to see where the issue was and found a bad controller.   Here is the rotation speed and timed amount for this controller per Traeger. 

The auger should make one revolution in 36 seconds. On the smoke setting the auger should run 1 minute on and 3 minutes off. Medium it should run 2 minutes on and 2 minutes off and high the auger should not stop.

Posted incase someone may need this info.    It was very helpful to me
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:23:56 PM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: For those who own a Traeger pellet grill
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:42:38 PM »
Thanks Tommy! I switched my controller but still have the 3 way for a back up. Great info to know!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:23:17 PM »
Salesman from Traeger has been aggravating me to death to buy a Traeger.....after much reviews I don't think I'm interested ....thanks Tommy. Hope your legbone is doing better.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »
This is a fairly common ailment for the old "3-speed" controllers.  Easily fixed by upgrading to one of the newer Traeger or Ortech controllers or, better even yet, a Savannah Stoker.

Note to jjjonz:  The new Traegers are worth the price but if you can find an older American made one either NOS or gently used, you'll have one of the best cooker bargains in the world.  Basic pellet cookery at a minimum price.  Don't jump in without knowing what you want, though -- read my Pellet 101 articles in my section if you haven't already.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »
Seems like Traeger used to be THE premier pellet cooker...are they made offshore now?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:37:05 PM »
This is a fairly common ailment for the old "3-speed" controllers.  Easily fixed by upgrading to one of the newer Traeger or Ortech controllers or, better even yet, a Savannah Stoker.

Note to jjjonz:  The new Traegers are worth the price but if you can find an older American made one either NOS or gently used, you'll have one of the best cooker bargains in the world.  Basic pellet cookery at a minimum price.  Don't jump in without knowing what you want, though -- read my Pellet 101 articles in my section if you haven't already.

Hub

Thanks HUB for the info....
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »
I hope I'm not speaking badly but when I first started out I was killing my cooks with the 3 way controller but not in a good way. When I upgraded my Traeger my cooks changed.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »
One thing to remember is the basic 3 way controler is all I need cause the SRG chamber keeps the meat from drying out so temps are not that big of a deal.

My temps run 225-235 on "smoke"  265-285 "med"  450+ on "High"  so it's just right and no need for the temp sensor
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:17:53 PM »
Salesman from Traeger has been aggravating me to death to buy a Traeger.....after much reviews I don't think I'm interested ....thanks Tommy. Hope your legbone is doing better.
L
Let's be honest ... You're a Weber man!
Buy a WSM it's the easiest smoker on the market!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »
L

It is a different smoke and different flavor. I love both charcoal and pellets. Sometimes I prefer one, sometimes the other.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 07:15:21 AM »
The controllers that are used by Traeger are not exactly state of the art. They have a low fail rate but do fail. But they are not super expensive, easily obtainable, and simple to install. And Traeger is always good about parts replacement during their warranty period and even after.

The Traeger units are not bad units but not of the quality that the old American made units are. But honestly there are not a lot of things made in the US any more. They are a good entry level pellet grill and get the job done. I believe that Rec-Tec is made offshore and people are happy with those units.

I started out with a Traeger. That little unit sold me in pellet cooking. I would have never purchased a Memphis if it was not for Traeger so in a way Hearthland should thank Traeger for allowing me to experience pellet cooking.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »
Seems like Traeger used to be THE premier pellet cooker...are they made offshore now?

Made in China now.  "Old" technology but can still be a good value.  Memphis, MAK, Yoder, Rec-Tec, Fast Eddy, etc. are higher tech with much more accurate controllers.  BUT -=- it's the cook not the cooker that produces the groceries  ;D

I own a Memphis Advantage which is deadly accurate, well insulated, and efficiently laid out for space utilization.  Love it.  I also own a new old stock American made Traeger Texas which is built like a brick outhouse but has a 225 "out of controller" that provides me some entertainment from time to time.  Love it, too!  Both cookers have their place in my arsenal and I have my favorite ways to use both.

I also have a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Weber Performer and a little Weber gasser.  One can never have enough cooking machines  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:06 PM »
L

You are pretty much right LA.....had a Double chef that cooked like the wsm....had to sell it to make space for the Performer...I would probably have to sell the Performer to make space for the pellet grill.....I would come closer of giving away a grand young'un than doing that.....lol
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx

Offline branson

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »
I started out with a Traeger lil tex elite but got tired of the little issues that plague Chinese quality.(or lack of)  I learned a lot about good food & did a lot of research and then bought a Grid Iron made in America from Blaz'n Grill Works. I really enjoy cooking when the grill works perfect everytime.