Author Topic: Traeger P settings  (Read 4147 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Traeger P settings
« Reply #-1 on: March 22, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »
Here is some good info for those of you with a Traeger with a digital controller. This was copied from Traeger on Facebook...

Read the following. This is how your Traeger keeps its temperature when not on the HIGH setting. It works just like your thermostat in your home. When this setting is correct you can cook in the Frozen Tundra. Reference picture at the end.

P-0 15 sec on 45 sec off
P-1 15 sec on 55 sec off
P-2 15 sec on 65 sec off
P-3 15 sec on 75 sec off
P-4 15 sec on 85 sec off
P-5 15 sec on 95 sec off
P-6 15 sec on 105 sec off
P-7 15 sec on 115 sec off
P-8 15 sec on 125 sec off
P-9 15 sec on 135 sec off

When you set the controller to a specific temp the auger runs continuously until that temp is reached. Then the controller goes into smoke mode based on the above table.
When the grill's temperature drops 3 degrees below target temperature, the auger will run until the set-point is again reached.
When the 225 controller reaches the set temp it starts the smoke mode with 15 sec on. That's why it has such large temp swings.

Example P-2 on 15 sec - off 65 sec.

When the controller reaches the set temp it starts the smoke mode
with the off setting.

Example P-2 Off 65 sec - on 15 sec.

To change the setting peel off the sticker next to the display that says CALL SERVICE. Use a paper clip and insert it gently into the opening. There is a small button you will push and P-2 will be displayed. Simply continue to push the button until you reach the desired setting. P-0 will provide the quickest recovery and is perfect when the temp outside dips down around 32 or below. Look at the picture for a reference on where the hole is.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:31:41 PM by muebe »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Traeger P settings
« on: March 22, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
Mike, I believe these settings also work with the Ortech controller. That is what I put on my Traeger Junior
and though I haven't set a timer it looks pretty close to these settings at the different levels. Of course I normally
don't go any higher than P-5 or P-6 at the most.  Thanks for posting this information.

Mike
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
I have the 225 "Out Of Controller" and find that the p setting, as you say, is entertaining and slow to respond.  Luckily I don't cook that much in low, low temps.  One of these days I'll modernize and get a Savannah Stoker but I keep spending the money on meat  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 12:28:45 PM »
I have the 225 "Out Of Controller" and find that the p setting, as you say, is entertaining and slow to respond.  Luckily I don't cook that much in low, low temps.  One of these days I'll modernize and get a Savannah Stoker but I keep spending the money on meat  ::)

Hub

Agreed. Mine has gotten better with time, and as long as I step up the temps one click at a time, then let the temp stabilize before moving to the next higher setting, it tends to stay within a reasonable range, 25° either way of set temp. I mostly use it for higher temp cooks, 275° & up, which seems to keep it happy. **Thanks to both Hub & Muebe for these helpful tips.

I did try to turn it down to 180° recently to hold something for a while, and I let it stabilize for 20 minutes. During that time, it spiked to over 300°, which is what sparked my love/hate relationship with this cooker from the beginning. Can't afford a SS yet, so I will keep cussing it um.... working with it until I can get one.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:33:01 PM by tnjimbob »
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen