Author Topic: Yoder YS 480, Mak 1 Star, Rec Tec or CookShack PG 500 or Memphis Select? Please  (Read 22560 times)

Offline valpochooch

Hi there,  I'm new to this forum and excited to hear your responses!  I'm in the market for a new pellet grill and here's what I know about the ones above:

All of these grills have rave reviews.  I'm going to be doing grilling and smoking, but the main reason I'm getting a new pellet grill is for the smoking! 

I know the Yoder YS 480 is built like a tank.  It is said to be a more smoky pellet grill which I like, but it has also been said to be higher on pellet consumption because it doesn't retain heat as well as some of the others.  Not sure I understand this because the parts are the thickest and heaviest of the grills I mentioned, and I figured that would cause it to retain heat.  Nonetheless, the owners of these smokers seem to be very happy with them.

People seem to have great things to say about the Mak1 as well, and it seems to be the one grill where all of the owners say, if they did it again, they'd buy the same grill.  It's built like a tank and most say it's the best overall grill out of the ones I mentioned.  It has some great features and it seems to have the most options of the 5 grills I'm researching.  I also saw it has a release to dump pellets not used during a particular grilling or smoking session.  Is this true?  On the down side, I saw a comment on craigslist about the POWER COAT wearing off.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I was also surprised to see it only had a 3 year warranty too, when the Yoder has a 10 year for parts and a 3 year for electronics.  The Rec-Tec also has a 6 year warranty and Memphis select a 5 year.

The Rec-Tec is the most affordable, and although the parts are made in China, everyone who owns one of these seems to be extremely happy with their cooking ability and with their durability as well.  On Amazon.com, they have 91 user reviews with 88 of them being a 5 out of  5 stars.  The one concerning review was that their Rec-Tec didn't provide a smoky flavor to their meat at all.  Can anyone attest or disprove this.

I know the PG 500 is also well liked by many, but I'm not sure about the different quadrants of the grill for different types of cooking.  I think I would rather use sear grates instead of having a build in section for searing.  This makes me weary about the evenness of grill's cooking temperature.  Does the fact that different parts of the grill are built for different types of cooking have any affect on temperature evenness, especially when slow cooking?

The Memphis select also has great reviews and seems to be a well built smoker as well as very economic with fuel consumption.  Everyone seems to be happy with theirs, but some of the owners from various postings I've come across say they might have gone with the Mak 1 instead, but they're still happy with their Memphis! 

Bottom line is, I could use your help and would be very appreciative for any advise you can offer.  Is it really worth paying $1500.00 for the Mak 1, when there's a great pellet grill out there in the Yoder for $1100.00?  Thanks so much!!

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
Not sure if it will help, I bought my Mak 2 Star almost 3 years ago and 100% without a doubt it the best thing I have ever bought. It's a TANK! And the customer service is second to none!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
You wrote, "I'm in the market for a new pellet grill..." so I'm thinking that you are focusing on grilling rather than smoking.  You also didn't tell us what you've been cooking on up to now.  Knowing these two answers will help us make a recommendation.

Here's what I think—I think you'll be happy with any pellet pit/grill you buy.  You'll cook terrific meals on it.  Each model has its own set of strengths and weaknesses and as you gain experience cooking on your unit you'll begin to think in terms of your likes/dislikes and what other unit(s) you'd like to have. 

Personal opinion will also enter into recommendations you get from us because not many of us have appreciable experience on more than one unit.  So here's my personal opinion—The only pellet unit I've cooked on is my Cookshack Fast Eddy PG-500.  I am glad that I chose it.  It was designed to have the four temperature zones you reference.  Many owners have become adept at using them to simultaneously cook foods at different temperatures.  I maintain a comprehensive zone temperature chart, based on empirical data, that I use for multiple-zone cooking.

I posted my opinion on the PG-500 here -->click here
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices

Bottom line is, I could use your help and would be very appreciative for any advise you can offer.  Is it really worth paying $1500.00 for the Mak 1, when there's a great pellet grill out there in the Yoder for $1100.00?  Thanks so much!!

1. MAK - Absolutely worth it. Great product. Key components are stainless. Best controller I have seen or used. Produces more smoke than any of the grills I have seen or used. All made int he USA...even the screws! ;) With upper rack  - you have 760 sq. in. of USEABLE space. MAK has more options available for their product line than anyone. The controller is upgradeable to Wi Fi control! And you will love that if you try it once.

2. Yoder.....I am a previous Yoder owner. The body of the grill - is as heavily built as they come. The weakness is the controller and software. It does burn a lot of pellets. It does take longer to warm up. And...thicker steel does not insulate better. Steel is more thermally transparent than most think. Well built? Absolutely. Just not as "friendly" as the MAK.

One you have not listed, but I would definitely recommend you look at - is the Rec-Tec. At $1000 it offers some really nice features - and a large cooking surface. Key components are stainless ( fire pot, heat deflector, drip pan  ) and a nice light inside - so you can see what you are cooking at night. And...it looks awesome!

ANY of these can be used to sear - if you buy a set of Grill Grates. I recommend them - no matter what you end up with. Example: I can set my Mak 2 star on 350F - and sear a steak. Because  the Grill Grates truly magnify the heat!

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:54:32 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
I have owned two pellet smokers. I will go with the MAK as the one I like best, set it and forget it.

As far as usable surface the second grill rack work very well.

I did have one issue with stuck pellets in both, the MAK easily removes the unused pellets for proper storage.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
Yes go with a MAK. You wont be disappointed.

Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
I don't see Blaz'n Grill Works on your list.  They make an outstanding American made pellet grill. They come in
two sizes. I have the large one the Grid Iron. I was in the same position you are in now and researched the heck
out of all the above. I have cooked on the Rec Tec and a Mak 2 and I also own a Traeger junior. For the money and
my needs I selected the Blaz'n Grill Works cooker. No remorse about not buying a "name" brand and if I had to do
it over again I would buy the same one.  Just my 2 cents.  And BTW, Welcome to the best BBQ forum on the internet!

Mike
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Pure and simple ... MAK 1 ...
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
I don't care what anyone says: Yoders are CRAP! That's why I own three different units and just ordered my fourth.
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
I don't care what anyone says: Yoders are CRAP! That's why I own three different units and just ordered my fourth.

NOTE: WE DO NOT disparage anyone's products like this. WE DO tell the truth about our individual experiences with said products however.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas

NOTE: WE DO NOT disparage anyone's products like this. WE DO tell the truth about our individual experiences with said products however.

How can this be disparagement when I own 3 Yoder Products and just ordered a fourth. That sounds like more like a testimonial to the company than a discontent. Think about it! Just because you are unhappy with their product does not mean everyone. I wouldn't spend my money on these Yoders if I were really a disappointed customer.
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
You missed the point:

We are not here to argue semantics. The OP ask for user advice about PELLET GRILLS. I am happy that you are fan of Yoder, Ed. I think they build a fine quality stick burner. None better.

But - the world is rife with user experiences that parallel what I explained is the weak point of THAT particular product. I did not SAY I was un-happy with the Yoder pellet grill. I said I owned one previously. I do like the use of respectful diplomacy on this forum - and I expect it of you as well.

Let's not do this again, o.k.?  I will NEVER say something out of context - and will trust that you will not challenge me on something you "interpreted between the lines".  If you know me at all - then you know I have NO hidden agenda. When someone asks a question, I will always try my best to answer it truthfully and fairly.

NOW - this

Was inserted to CLARIFY exactly what it says. Your post could have been confusing - as there were no emoticons ( ;D, :D, or ;) ) to explain you were being humorous. The OP is brand new here. We owe him better clarity in offering advice.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:58:15 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
I have owned a traeger, green mountain db, Memphis pro (very early model) and one mak 2 star and three mak 1 stars.  still own two of the 1 stars.  simply fantastic product.  I can program my pellet boss to smoke for 2 hours and then the grill w/ set itself to 250° until the meat ther gets to 202° and then the grill w/ set itself to its lowest setting.  can't do that w/ any pellet grill out there.  having said that I would very much like to own a Memphis advantage.  their nice.  love the all stainless. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Quote from: valpochooch
Is it really worth paying $1500.00 for the Mak 1, when there's a great pellet grill out there in the Yoder for $1100.00?  Thanks so much!!

I will offer my take on that question.

1. MAK - Absolutely worth it. Great product. Key components are stainless. Best controller I have seen or used...

I can personally vouch for everything teesquare said about the MAK in his first post!

I researched for almost a year before we settled on the MAK 1 Star, and I can honestly say I would do it again in a heartbeat!

One other major difference is the metal used in the body of the MAK 1 Star. The body is made from Aluminized Steel with a 1200° powder coat finish.  Therefore it should virtually never rust.

Every single part on the MAK grills is the best available; there are absolutely no corners cut.
And don't let it's seemingly smaller cook area deceive you. The upper grates double the capacity. The 1 Stars hold plenty of food!

What really attracted me to the MAK was that I could get into a super quality grill, and add features as budget allowed.

The MAK Griddle should be one of the first add-ons you get.  It just flat out rocks... BIG TIME!!!

So in a nutshell, do I think the MAK 1 Star is worth the difference. Yes!

That's my 2¢ and I don't even want any change back!    :D

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Ok so you are looking to jump into the pellet grill world. Good for you! You have a big list of candidates so your decision will be more difficult. First a few things about pellet grills in general and some considerations...

Cost of pellets- you might save money on a cheaper unit but will you pay more later for more pellet usage? Do you have a local source for pellets at a good price? If so than this might not be a big issue. The more a pellet grill eats pellets the more it can cost you $$$

Pellet grills for smoking- Pellets are wood and do produce smoke. Some pellet grills can produce more smoke than others. But they will not produce the flavor of smoke that you get from a stick burner. Pellet grills work by causing wood pellets to combust with the inducement of air. And by doing so there is less smoke. The absence of a flame will produce the best smoke but a flame out on a pellet grill is not a good thing. Some pellet grills like my Memphis will bellow the fan on and off to help create smoke and keep tight temperatures. This works pretty well however if you like heavy smoke flavor than a pellet grill might not provide that level you need. I personally like the lighter smoke flavor that a pellet grill produces. You can add a smoke tube that you fill with pellets and light to create extra smoke flavor to any pellet grill also.

Heavy gauge versus insulated- heavy gauge steel has it's benefits for durability but heat loss can be a problem. Heavy gauge steel can take a while to heat up causing you pellet grill to take longer to reach proper temperature. Then the energy that it has absorbed can be easily whisked away by a cold breeze. The more air movement over the metal the more heat loss. Insulated however has a thermal barrier between the inerior metal and the outside air. This barrier can be double wall(air) or actual thermal insulation(fiberglass). The outside of the unit remains cool due to this barrier and therefore heat loss is greatly reduced. Also insulated pellet grills tend to have a much higher temperature range for grilling due to being able to sustain those higher temperatures. One downside to insulated grills is that during the summer when temperatures are really hot you might find it difficult to sustain lower temperatures.

Steel versus stainless- Steel can rust. Powder coating can peel. Good stainless steel has much less of a chance to rust and will not peel. It can be a real bear to keep looking shiny however ;)

Controller- The brains of the operation. A good controller will keep solid temps and reliably keep the fire going. Some offer remotes, Wi-Fi connectivity, built-in meat probes etc. As far as controllers MAK excels in the cool factor with it's pellet boss.

Weight- Does the grill weigh as much as a mini-cooper? What if you got to move it around? Sure it's got wheels but so does a car! You push your car around! You want something light and nimble? Or is your pellet grill going to stay stationary and not be moved? Something to consider.

Ok so you mentioned the Memphis Select as one of your choices. I happen to own a 2011 Memphis Select pellet smoker. I am very happy with mine. The only thing I would have done different at the time is stepped up to the advantage.

The Memphis is quality built. The thing is entirely made of stainless! The only things that are not stainless are the electrical components and the wheels. Everything else is quality stainless. Even the unique firepot is stainless!

The pellet hopper(12 LB) is located at the front for easy loading. Why such a small hopper you ask? Well when you average 0.50 lbs consumption an hour of pellets at 225F you don't need a large hopper for overnight cooks ;)

The firepot is located at the center of the grill. Makes sense for more even distribution of heat IMHO. Also the pellets are fed up the short throw auger and slide down a chute into the firepot. Unlike other designs the chance for auger tube fire or hopper fire are almost impossible. And the hot rod(igniter) is located just under the firepot and not in the firepot like most other designs. The reduces fatigue on the igniter and allows Memphis to use a hot surface igniter like you find in a oven. Less exposure to direct heat and ash will improve performance and life of the igniter.

The hood is double wall and cool to the touch when in normal operation. When the grill is set to 550F the hood gets really warm but will not immediately burn you if you touch it. That is the insulation doing it's job.

The Memphis keeps very accurate temperatures across the board. Anything from 180F to 299F runs in smoke mode. During this mode the fan turns on and off to bellow the firepot and create smoke while maintaining very even temps. The 300F and above changes it to grill mode where the fan runs at high speed to maintain those higher temps.

The controller has a bright and easy to read display. It also uses an optional meat probe that can be programmed not only to display the meat temp but also turn the temperature down once the meat has reach it's target temp. The controller is also very user friendly and works almost the same as your home oven so practically anyone in the family can use it. It may or may not be a good thing 8)

And all that stainless is just gorgeous! It is quite a beautiful grill. Sleek and stylish. Looks great on any patio. When cleaned with a quality stainless steel cleaner my grill looks almost as good as the day I bought it.

Comes with thick stainless steel grates and thick stainless steel drip pan. Also the hood is domed for higher profile meats and has a large capacity with the option second shelf grates.

And the grease tray is located inside the cooker instead of outside where the dogs can try and get at it or it spill onto your nice patio deck. The tray slides out and uses removable aluminum tray inserts for easy clean up. Then slide it right back in. It is located down in the pit away from the firepot and works great!

I think that covers it. If you have any other questions let me know. Good luck on your decision!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:15:34 PM by muebe »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven