Author Topic: Time to take advantage of best storehouse on cooking knowledge  (Read 878 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Time to take advantage of best storehouse on cooking knowledge
« Reply #-1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »
Well, it's the  time of year, Easter, when many people cook ham for a meal.  With this in mind I thought it would be good to tap the brains of those here, perhaps the greatest collection of outdoor cooking minds on any forum, about how y'all are gonna cook your hams.

Please share your techniques for cooking a  ham on the many types of cookers we have available here.

Thanks, Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
I am pretty lazy with my ham.  I'll buy a ready to cook and throw it in the offset for a few hours then glaze it (Coke and pineapple) and crank the heat to caramelize.  Pull it at around 145.  Depending on prices, I may just buy a ready to eat and double smoke it.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Time to take advantage of best storehouse on cooking knowledge
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »
Probably going to head over to the Honey Baked store and pick one up.  ::)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »
Some things to think about: spiral, shank or butt, cooked or precooked, brined or not; more smoke or not?

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:27:06 PM »
I like spiral for the convenience, but they tend to dry out when re-cooking.  I like the butt end vs. the shank because I find it more flavorful and moister.  Prefer "ready to cook" but if the price is right, I have no problem with "ready to eat."  I can't be bothered with doing the brine.  Definitely want more smoke.  The pre-smoke has an artificial flavor to it IMO that is improved with a real wood smoke while cooking/heating.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:33:01 PM »
I am like SB if I have ham I buy a smoked one from my butcher, do it on my Traeger, maybe slather on some Molasses or Maple Syrup, start at 225 deg. and take it up to 325 to 350 and cook to an IT of 145 to 150 deg. It don't get much better for me. I usually just do a small boneless but if I was doing one for a crowd I would do one of my butchers bone in smoked hams. When it comes to ham I want a quality one, but if price matters to you; you can turn out good ham with the cheaper ones too. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 05:25:16 PM »
I am like SB if I have ham I buy a smoked one from my butcher, do it on my Traeger, maybe slather on some Molasses or Maple Syrup, start at 225 deg. and take it up to 325 to 350 and cook to an IT of 145 to 150 deg. It don't get much better for me. I usually just do a small boneless but if I was doing one for a crowd I would do one of my butchers bone in smoked hams. When it comes to ham I want a quality one, but if price matters to you; you can turn out good ham with the cheaper ones too. Don

^ What Don said!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles