Recipes > Pork Recipes

Trophy Winnin' Pulled Pork!

(1/13) > >>

teesquare:
O.k....... I will post this elsewhere ( hopefully in the right place! )
Since we are tellin' secrets ;) For my Trophy Winnin' Pork Butt:

3-tablespoons of Fine Swine and Bovine, ( you can use what you like - i just know that this one works ;) )
6-oz apple juice or vinegar -if you are going to cook it now (competition) -*BUT* if you are going to rest it in the fridge for 2-3 days first, use apple juice Too much acid  (vinegar)+ extended fridge time = mushy pork
 3-4 tablespoons of Worchestire sauce  I PREFER SOY SAUCE...but some like the other - your call

Bring to simmer - dissolving all "dissolvables" - then chill via removing from heat for 5-10 minutes then set a large zip lock bag of ice init. When ice is liquified, repeat.  (The idea is to rapidly chill the solution to under 40 F )
Pour this  thru a strainer into 2 containers  i will be used for injecting the pork-save the remaining for a mop sauce base for the pork Add the strained solids to the mop sauce base....( makes it prettier )

Rinse and dry the pork butt, and apply FSB liberally to  to pork. Allow to rest for20-30 minutes. ( This lets the pork come up a bit in temp, saving on cook tim and helps it cook a little more even. NOW- inject the solution above, at several locations, distributing all thru the meat. Add more rub to any wet spots.
If competing - put it in the smoker, and cook at 225-240F ( Some like hotter, faster....up to you - I think you run the risk of volatizing the fats, yielding a drier pork IMHO)

If doing this for non-competition cooking - vacuum bag or triple plastic wrap the butt, and place int eh fridge for 2 to 3 days. Then smoke it as above.

When the internal temp. reaches 195F - remove from smoker, and double wrap butt with heavy duty foil, then towels and allow it to rest for 1 hour if competing. Internal temp should rise to 200-205F.  If not competing then allow the pork to rest until the inter temp begins to decline down to  approx. 180F begin to decline. (This just insures moisture retention will be maximized.)

How to tell if it is done "perfectly" ( IMHO ) : Put on long cuffed fryer gloves. No other tools should be needed. Now simply work work your hands on the pork, and it should come apart as "pulled. Should NOT be "mushy" - but will be very tender. Bone should come out with little resistance.

mikecorn.1:
Much appreciated T. Will be sure to save this to use later :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeasaurus:
Gonna try this one T...I just happen to have some FS&B..... 8)

teesquare:
Most folks don't realize what the 3 day "rest"  in the fridge after the inject/rub can do for pork butts and shoulders.

Of course - it is is just not possible to do this in competition due to time constraints - but at home - we have all of the time we want - or can plan ahead for.

I have highlighted a couple of points/corrections in the recipe... Sorry for all of the corrections - i am trying to work from memory on this one...and - this week has been a little stressful, so the brain is not cooperating as I would prefer.....

T

sparky:
this is very kind.  thank you tee.  very cool.   8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version