Author Topic: Wrapping rib question  (Read 3907 times)

Offline hikerman

Re: Wrapping rib question
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »
Great input from everyone! I love ribs done most ways.....it's just some are a bit better than others!!!!  :P
Good luck Drew on your rib cook this weekend buddy!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 11:35:24 AM »
Great input from everyone! I love ribs done most ways.....it's just some are a bit better than others!!!!  :P

X2 ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 11:39:42 AM »
Although I have seen ribs cooked by wrapping them, my son does his this way all the time, I have never tried it myself until recently and it was okay.  Personally I like the bark ribs get from not wrapping them, but I won't turn down a good slab of ribs that have been wrapped.
 ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pappymn

Wrapping rib question
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »
This rib talk is making me hungry. Have not made big boy ribs yet.....
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 05:36:36 PM »

X2 ;)

X3     ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 08:14:43 PM »
When Don posted my thread he forgot the most important of that post. I am pretty sure even Sparky will agree with the missing statement.

That is a guide to help you get started making ribs. You then get to do all of the changes and tweekings that you want to make YOUR ribs YOURS!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
When Don posted my thread he forgot the most important of that post. I am pretty sure even Sparky will agree with the missing statement.

That is a guide to help you get started making ribs. You then get to do all of the changes and tweekings that you want to make YOUR ribs YOURS!!

TRuer words were never written. Experiment. Try different methods.  You have access to a wealth of knowledge from guys like Tenpoint5 and Sparky - and many many others here. ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 09:12:50 PM »

TRuer words were never written. Experiment. Try different methods.  You have access to a wealth of knowledge from guys like Tenpoint5 and Sparky - and many many others here. ;)

Yeah but MY ribs are still better than Sparky's!!! 8)
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 09:31:45 PM »
 :D :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »
OK--so I'll throw a monkey wrench in this entire post!   My 99 yr old father in law LOVES ribs, and the only day we can pry him out of his own house is to feed him Sunday dinner--more often ribs than not.   Because of church (9:00) A.M, our time is limited.   I rub the ribs the night before, wrap in plastic wrap, THEN, on Sunday morning they are put in the oven before we leave (about 8:30), roasting pan covered tightly in foil at 275.   When we get home, about 10:30, I go out, start the fire in my trusty CB940x, then when coals are ready, move them to the grill, uncovered, of course.   Add hickory chunks to the fire, which is pretty slow still, spritz them with apple cider a few times.   They form a good bark and he sits there and eats them like they were chocolate candy!   I know, somewhat out of the ordinary, but keeps him quite happy, and I have to say they aren't all that bad myself.   Prefer smoked all the way through, or the 3-2-1 method, but these are good.   

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »
Well, lets see if I can help out here since my vacation away. First off, temperature is very important and also the direct/indirect is important. I personally cook ribs around 230 degrees. I cook them roughly 3 hours open, 2 hours wrapped, and maybe 20 minutes open again. We season our ribs only 30 minutes before they go on the smoker. after 3 hours of no peaking, we lay down 2 layers of heavy duty foil. We apply our layer of rib goo, lay the ribs on top of them bones side up (remove the black bits of marrow at the ends of the bones that can poke through the foil), apply another layer of rib goo to the back, seal the first layer of foil very tightly, then the next layer just as tight. The reason we seal them tight is because we are looking to "braise" them. If there's more room for air to circulate inside, you are steaming the ribs and you get a blow out (where the bones pokes through the meat). Our rib goo contains very little liquid because too much moisture also causes blow outs. After 2 hours of indirect cooking in foil, we open them up to test their doneness with a toothpick between the bones. You want some resistance, but you don't want it to fall through either. At this point, slater on a little sauce, make sure the heat is almost turn off and just let the little amount of sauce you apply set with the residual heat left in the smoker. After this, slice and enjoy the helk out of them.
     If you happen to use a dry cooker you can spritz them, but I chose not to because our smoker holds a lot of moisture.

Offline nylic76

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »
So, bigdaddydan, what's in your rib goo?
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 07:31:35 AM »
I can't give you my current recipe because we still compete and do pretty well in competitions, including a couple weeks ago 1st place over some of the best in the country. What I will say from past experiences using Johnny Trigg's is apply a little layer of Parkay, a couple passes of honey, a little brown sugar, a dash of tiger sauce. When wrapping with this much sugar, you can easily char the meat side, so keep the temps lower and indirect. This is the most common wrap mixture trend out there that people use. Sorry I can't give out our current recipe.

Offline RAD

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 11:35:25 AM »
Doing a rack now and most times I don't wrap but I going to pull the rack and wrap with some goo, Some of Sparky, some of bigdaddydan and little of my own.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »
Doing a rack now and most times I don't wrap but I going to pull the rack and wrap with some goo, Some of Sparky, some of bigdaddydan and little of my own.

WOW That sounds like it's gonna be good, looking forward to seeing the pictures of them.  ;)
----------------------