Author Topic: Question for the Forum  (Read 3477 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Question for the Forum
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »
Since cooking space is important, one thing to consider is the actual useable cooking space (in cubic inches) and not just the advertised surface cook area.

The MAK 1 Star's seemingly smaller size  is deceptively roomy, for example.

Initially the Rec-Tec has 680 Sq. In. of surface cook are, HOWEVER...  when you take into account the round barrel style cook chamber, at it's highest point, the center (from front to back) has about 9 1/4" of head room.  Taller food will start bumping into the lid when you push it to the back or front. As far as I know they do not offer a second tier rack.

The MAK has 380 Sq. In. initial surface area, BUT is has a lot of head room (9 1/4 in at the lowest point and 12+ in. at the highest), and because it has straight-sided walls, when you add the MAK upper rack you end up with 760 sq. inches of useable surface cook area.  I hope this makes sense.

I know, for example, with the upper rack, the MAK 1 Star will hold 8 pork butts or 4 whole shoulders at one time.

BUT make no mistake, you will pay more for the MAK.

Again, not trying to knock Rec-Tec. They have a lot of good going for their grills, and their warranty is great! Just trying to give a true head to head comparison and accurate info. I hope this helps.

Cliff

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »
The Green Mountain door is more sturdy than the Camp Chef. While the Camp Chef door is lightweight it did not hinder the cooking qualities of the grill.

I do not think any of the above mentioned grills will let you down. My brother has a Rec Tec and loves it. I have reviewed the Yoder, Camp Chef and GMG and liked all of them as well. Mak is at the top of the food chain when it comes to pellet grills.....as they say....buy quality and cry once..................

Solid advice

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 07:04:43 PM »
I have a box for that SRG   :D :D :D
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »
I have a box for that SRG   :D :D :D

This member might be looking for another SRG.  ::)

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=9062.msg119933#msg119933

Moderator note: Corrected link
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:31:56 AM by TentHunteR »
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)