Author Topic: Electric smoker suggestions anyone?????  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

Electric smoker suggestions anyone?????
« Reply #-1 on: May 06, 2014, 01:30:24 PM »
Hi everyone!  I was wondering if anyone had advice on electric smokers.  I have researched pellet grills but not electric smokers.  I know the old standby Little Chief is sufficient for salmon, steelhead, or other fish but am not aware of their capabilities beyond that. 

I am curious about the Bradley or Masterbuilt (or other suggestions) for electric smokers.  It seems that there is a lot more versatility with the Bradley or Masterbuilt puck-style auto-feed digital smokers than there is with the basic Little Chief or Big Chief.  My Sis-in-law is looking for a smoker for her hubs for his birthday and the only one he has mentioned is the Little Chief based on a suggestion.  I told her I would do some research and get back to her. 

I suspect once he starts using a smoker he is going to want more versatility than the Chief smokers are going to provide and that he will surpass their abilities quickly.  I see him wanting to possible do pork shoulders and chicken as well. He is a good cook already.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
Re: Electric smoker suggestions anyone?????
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:24:59 PM »
My $ would go to Bradley.

Or

If you can swing $900 go with TSM 30lb smoker. This is on the horizon for me.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
I owned a Masterbuilt about ten years ago.  On a scale of zero to ten with zero being lousy and ten being perfect I'd give it about a four.  It had good capacity and worked sort of okay providing it wasn't too cold or hot out or there wasn't much wind.  Temperature regulation was sort of a guessing game.  They may have changed the design since I had mine.  Smoke production also required finding the "sweet spot" for the chips or chunks and sometimes I'd get too much or too little smoke.  I replaced it with the gas version of the same cooker and had pretty much the same problems plus the added one of the fire being blown out occasionally.   Gave it away.

I've since moved on to more sophisticated (and more expensive) equipment, but I don't think electric smokers are inferior for home cooking.  Some of the more popular electrics get good coverage here and seem to get some good reviews.  I'd suggest a thorough read of the posts about them here along with what's probably going to be some good feedback in this thread.  Cookshack makes some high dollar electrics, even commercial models.  Good luck!

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »
I own a Bradley and would get another but would buy a six rack instead of the four rack. 

Would also invest in a PID controller for it.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
I own a Bradley and would get another but would buy a six rack instead of the four rack. 

X2

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
smokin-it, smoken tex and cookshack all make electric smokers.  smokin-it #3 is a very good smoker. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »

X2

X 2.5 ...  Only 2.5 instead of 3 cause I own a 4 rack instead of a 6 rack Bradley ...

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline RAD

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »
I have been eyeing the http://www.smokin-it.com/category_s/5.htm #3 for sometime now. Large enough for full rack of ribs.
Love to cook and eat

Offline old sarge

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 01:29:58 PM »
I have a Cookshack 066 (in addition to an offset stick burner).  Very good smoker and I get consistent results.  But it was not inexpensive.  They are however offering an easy pay method through paypal without interest.  Doesn't make it less expensive, just easier to afford. I think you will find the smokintex and smoking-it line pretty much similar; just read the descriptions carefully (there are differences) and compare the cost of accessories. I would add looking at smoker specific sites and read the posts there for an idea of pros and cons.  You may even want to join the forums offered by the manufacturers in order to post questions. 

Good luck!
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »
I love my Bradley digital 4 rack with no mods and their customer service is the best. Many of the great members of their forum are also on here (I was invited to join by TMB who's on both) so getting help or advice is just a post away.

Offline Northshore

Electric smoker suggestions anyone?????
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »
6rack Bradley digital, no mods. 2 rack bradley, sausage maker 20 lb capacity electric and gas charcoal units for those times fast and hot needed.
Had a Masterbuilt for short time.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 11:20:48 PM »
4 rack Bradley here that is heavily modified ;)

Also recommend the Bradley. Get the non digital with a Auber controller ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »
I have been eyeing the http://www.smokin-it.com/category_s/5.htm #3 for sometime now. Large enough for full rack of ribs.

I REALLY like the looks of the smokin-it model #1.   Their budget is $300 and the Bradley spikes well above that.  I think for just two people they could certainly do turkey breasts, ribs, and small brisket and still do a knock-up job on salmon and steelhead.  Thanks for the info.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit