Author Topic: Ceramics  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
Re: Ceramics
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 08:06:26 AM »
I'm getting  a egg from a eggfest here soon.  Can't figure out if I should get a large or xl.
I have cooked on both, get the XL if you can swing the extra cash.. I have one and the cooking space is more than enough. I found the regular size was not big enough.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Vir

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 12:39:42 PM »
I got the generic version of a ceramic cook in the Akorn, love it. Still one of the easiest cookers I have ever used that didn't have a plug (my new pellet smoker). It smokes, bakes, seers and grills. If it was bigger I may have never needed a new smoker. Good luck and enjoy it.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 02:17:46 PM »
Jack, the BGE is a good one but for the price you can get other ones as large or larger for the same $$$$

But to be honest I want a Rec-Tec pellet grill before I spend any $$$ on a BGE or other ceramic grills
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 05:11:46 PM »

But to be honest I want a Rec-Tec pellet grill before I spend any $$$ on a BGE or other ceramic grills

And to be honest back...I believe RecTec will be my next grill.  Howsomever, I don't see one on the patio in the near future save for the generosity of friends like you.    8)
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 02:47:08 AM »
Good Morning Mr. Jaxon,

I think you would like a ceramic grill and they will do a great job for you with about any kind of outdoor cooking. They just cook everything  well with very little work.

I have three of these wonderful cookers and purchased the first one in 1999 and all three are still going strong with the first one at over 6000 hours of recorded total cooking time. I prefer the BGE's but have cooked on most of them.

Size will really fool you on these cookers. For example, a standard large Big Green Egg with one of my setups will cook up to 10 slabs of loin back ribs, 4 large or 6 small pork butts, 3-4 brisket flats, 2 eight pound meatloaves, 4 butterflied chickens, or 4 turkey breasts in one single load. As for the amount of people the one cooker will feed, the 38-40 pounds of pork butts will feed a nice sized (5 oz) pulled pork sandwich to about 60 (count em) of your hungry guests.

Another nice thing about the standard large size is that you can buy extra parts (cooking grids, double and triple stack racks, ceramic baking needs, drip pans, heat deflectors, etc) for it at any hardware or large box store for far less cost than the parts you might need for the larger extra large cooker. Not as much available for this larger cooker as everything is made for the standard size cooker.

I could go on forever about these wonderful grills but would hope you would go to my webpage and look up ceramic cookers on my table of contents page and see what I have done with them over my long use. I think there are about 20 articles covering about anything you would want to cook on these cookers. Be sure to read to the last article as this is where you will find my baking article. The cooker really excels at baking breads and other treats.

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps with your decision....

Dave

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 04:06:09 AM »
I love my ceramic cooker, too. Since I got it, I used my pellet grill less and less and sold it last winter at last.

I'd take a Primo Oval XL, because you can use it for direct and indirect heat at the same time, and it's got lots of space, that can even extended with stacks etc.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 09:01:46 AM »
Old Dave always comes thru with good, solid, practical advice for us younger guys thanks to his experiences around so many different cookers.

I'll be at your website minutely....

Thanks for taking the time to explain this.
<><

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 10:33:36 AM »
B T W,
Char-Griller 16619 Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker, Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
<><

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »
Not discontinued , model # changed for 2014 model.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 10:49:52 AM »
Not discontinued , model # changed for 2014 model.

Was it really discontinued or DID they merely change the model number?
we report, you decide....fair and balanced and unafraid.

I went to their website to see if I could place an order for that model -- could not...it would not bring it up.
<><

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp