Author Topic: OK Smoker Pros - Pulled Pork Questions  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

OK Smoker Pros - Pulled Pork Questions
« Reply #-1 on: May 16, 2014, 12:18:57 AM »
I have been cooking pork butts on my Weber Summit for a few years now but I just got a Blazin Grand Slam Pellet Grill. My son wants me to do pulled pork on the new smoker for his birthday dinner. On the Weber I could hardly get the temp lower than 275. Using indirect heat I would cook two 5 pounders for around 7 hours give or take. They always turned out great but not much smoke flavor as the wood chips in the smoker burner just don't work that great.

That leads me to my questions:
1)  should I set the grill at 165 'ish for an hour or so to get better smoke flavor or will it get all that flavor cooking at 225?

2)  how long does it generally take to cook butts at 225 if I want to get them up to 195 to pull? (I am going to cook four of them so I can send a bunch of leftovers with "The Kid" since he just moved out)

3)  I was thinking Apple wood pellets for the pork cook - any thoughts on best wood types for pork?

Any and all input is appreciated!

Thanks
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: OK Smoker Pros - Pulled Pork Questions
« on: May 16, 2014, 12:28:27 AM »
I was thinking Apple wood pellets for the pork cook - any thoughts on best wood types for pork?

Apple is a good choice so is hickory.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 04:09:19 AM »
Apple pellets are good with the pork.  On my pellet grill I will normally start at 185 for the first
2 hours then bump the temperature to 235 and cook until probe tender. I also use the Amazen tube
smoker for additional smoke. It isn't necessary but I like a little heavier smoke than what my Grid
Iron normally puts out. Time wise will depend on how big the butts are and how many you are
cooking. I never go by time, temperature only. The last butt I cooked on the Grid Iron was a 9 pounder
and it took about 11 hours to get to probe tender. Some butts will cook faster, some not, depends on the
cut since I haven't found any that are the same. That goes with all types of meat. Just my 2 cents, hope
it helps.

Mike
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

OK Smoker Pros - Pulled Pork Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »
Just start early. You can FTC for several hours until you eat.

I am pretty new to BBQ, but I learned quickly that the meat is done when it is done.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline KyNola

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 11:02:45 AM »
When doing pulled pork on my MAK I generally set the controller at 225 and let it go the entire time.  At 225 the MAK produces plenty of smoke.  I'm not familiar with your pellet grill so I can't comment on what you should do.  As for wood flavor, there is but one when it comes to pork and that is hickory but then again I'm from KY where hickory is king of the BBQ pits.

If you find yourself running short on time you can wrap the butts in foil after they pass the 140F degree mark and power your way right through the "stall".  Smoke is pretty much wasted once the meat reaches a temp of 140F anyhow.  It is not my preferred method of cooking a butt but is a handy thing to know if you do start running short on time.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »
I don't  have a pellet grill but I do have a smoker.  For nearly all my smoking I set it at 225* and let it go.  Be very, very careful not to over smoke which is something I have done and my meat tasted like creosote.  I also cook mine to IT of 200 so I can pull it.  Also, have found out that taking nearly all the fat cap off helps with smoke getting more into the meat.  When you have the fat cap up I have found it just runs off and not in the meat.  Of course, not all see/adhere to my wisdom on this point. ;)

Like others have indicated: start early and you can hold it by wrapping in a towel and putting in a cooler.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »
I don't  have a pellet grill but I do have a smoker.  For nearly all my smoking I set it at 225* and let it go.  Be very, very careful not to over smoke which is something I have done and my meat tasted like creosote.  I also cook mine to IT of 200 so I can pull it.  Also, have found out that taking nearly all the fat cap off helps with smoke getting more into the meat.  When you have the fat cap up I have found it just runs off and not in the meat.  Of course, not all see/adhere to my wisdom on this point. ;)

Like others have indicated: start early and you can hold it by wrapping in a towel and putting in a cooler.

Dee

I have followed your advice in the past, Dee. This has been great for me in my electric smoker.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »
David,  The MES-type smokers were made for lazy boys like me.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »
Apple pellets are good with the pork.  On my pellet grill I will normally start at 185 for the first
2 hours then bump the temperature to 235 and cook until probe tender. I also use the Amazen tube
smoker for additional smoke. It isn't necessary but I like a little heavier smoke than what my Grid
Iron normally puts out. Time wise will depend on how big the butts are and how many you are
cooking. I never go by time, temperature only. The last butt I cooked on the Grid Iron was a 9 pounder
and it took about 11 hours to get to probe tender. Some butts will cook faster, some not, depends on the
cut since I haven't found any that are the same. That goes with all types of meat. Just my 2 cents, hope
it helps.

Great advice.  Keep your temp low for the first few hours (more smoke is produced).  If you have to have heavy smoke flavor use an augmentation device like a tray, tube or outside burner but be very careful.  Just a little too much and you'll be wishing you had less.  Use a good injection to assure moist meat.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 11:48:58 AM »
Also to add to what has already been stated a good slather of mustard or even better molasses will create a great bark and the smoke will adhere to the slather for extra smoky flavor ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 01:40:45 PM »
THANKS everyone for the tips. I really appreciate it. I am going to put some ribs on today and do the butts tomorrow. Pics to come. Wish me luck!! 8)
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Vir

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 03:34:08 PM »
I read several excellent points. Now for my two cents (no refunds), lol. I like mesquite mixed with a fruit wood, mainly cherry but peach works well. I use my thermometer as a gauge to let me know when i should start probing the meat for tenderness. I use ( still new to it) the camp chef pellet on low smoke for an hour , high smoke for four hours then 225/250 for the rest of the cook. (225 if going over night 250 if in "a hurry"). You may try cross-hatch cutting the fat cap before you add your rub increasing both rub and smoke penetration a little.

one last trick I am still playing with for pellet grills. I use a clean tuna can filled with soaked wood chips placed on the burner cover under the drip plate.  I think using a bigger diameter can but about the same height would work better but I have not gotten that far yet. This idea is not new I just transferred it from my infra-red to the pellet smoker. It added the sweetness from maple chips to the meat but it was not heavy.