Author Topic: Rookie with rib smoking questions  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

Rookie with rib smoking questions
« Reply #-1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:29:15 PM »
I have been watching some BBQ shows like BBQ Pitmasters etc... (maybe a mistake, I have not decided just yet) and I have a couple of questions for the pros on this site:

1)  I noticed most of the dudes on there smoke a rack of ribs at 275 for about 4 hours - any thoughts on that?

2)  Many of them wrap the ribs for the last hour meat side down on a bed of different mixtures - it seems rather common to put it on brown sugar and honey - some use a little apple juice  - what are some thoughts on that?  I really like a smokier rib and not so sweet so I am wondering if anyone uses that method and how to cut down on the sweetness with different products during the foil wrap.

3)  I watched them cut up some ribs in a St. Louis style that looked outstanding - for those of you who like the St. Louis style over the Baby Backs - what is the reason for your preference? (I don't know that I have ever had St. Louis style ribs so I have nothing to compare - other than I prefer BB's to beef ribs)

Thanks for any input!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline hikerman

Re: Rookie with rib smoking questions
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »
Smoker, first off I'm no pro, just another student in class!  I'll try to answer some of your questions tho.
1  That is a personal preference you will have to experiment. I do a 150F for an hour or so, then up to 225 for the remainder sometimes if I sauce I my crank up to 325F for a few minutes to dry up a bit and make that glaze pretty.

2 You do not have to add sweet when you foil. That is a preference. The foiling finishes the ribs by steaming any moisture added. It could be sweet or not, YOU are THE BOSS.

3 I prefer St. Louis, more meat on the bones is my bottom line and they are cheaper than B.B. ribs.  Again personal preference. Nothing is right or wrong......unless you burn them!

Let your experimenting begin brother!  8)

Offline RAD

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »
......unless you burn them!

Then they belong to Kimmie  ;D ;D ;D

Hikerman is correct, no wrong or right way just the way you like them. Now, where is sparky
Love to cook and eat

Offline Pappymn

Rookie with rib smoking questions
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 06:46:28 PM »
Hikerman speaks the truth.

Best tool for me is a toothpick. Learned that from Sparky.....lord of the ribs. He is celebrated in song and dance around here. Women want him and men want to be him ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:52:41 PM »
Here is some more interesting reading on foiling,
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=9009.0

Little boy ribs is foiling, what you put into the foil makes them your ribs.

Big boy ribs is with out foil. I have not done this yet :(
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:26:44 PM »
1)  I noticed most of the dudes on there smoke a rack of ribs at 275 for about 4 hours - any thoughts on that?

I smoke my ribs at 260F on my pellet grill for about 4 1/2 hours when using St.Louis spares so that sounds about right for me. I do three hours unfoiled, one hour foiled, then 30 minutes unfoiled to finish.

2)  Many of them wrap the ribs for the last hour meat side down on a bed of different mixtures - it seems rather common to put it on brown sugar and honey - some use a little apple juice  - what are some thoughts on that?  I really like a smokier rib and not so sweet so I am wondering if anyone uses that method and how to cut down on the sweetness with different products during the foil wrap.

You don't have to use brown sugar or honey. You can just foil them with some butter or naked. The foiling is a process that helps tenderize the ribs. Think of steaming. Finding the right amount of time for you is the key. Too much and the ribs will be mushy and fall apart. Some people like that. I like mine tender but not fall apart tender. A nice tug and complete pull away from the bone.

3)  I watched them cut up some ribs in a St. Louis style that looked outstanding - for those of you who like the St. Louis style over the Baby Backs - what is the reason for your preference? (I don't know that I have ever had St. Louis style ribs so I have nothing to compare - other than I prefer BB's to beef ribs)

St.Louis are full size spares that have been trimmed. They are trimmed so that there is even cooking(no larger areas of meat) and have a uniform look. Baby backs are good but way more expensive than spares and have less meat so St.Louis spares are my preference.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:27:14 AM »
dude, your on a rib quest.  rib quest are the best.  i went on one awhile back.   ;D

1)  I noticed most of the dudes on there smoke a rack of ribs at 275 for about 4 hours.

1a) perfect.  that what i use.

2b)  when i wrap my ribs i use butter, brown sugar and honey.  love it.  if i didn't want it so sweet i would use butter, brown sugar and honey. 

3c)  i do love my babybacks but today i noticed that my babybacks were $4 lb and spares were $2.50.  looks like my new fav is spares.

Thanks for the input.

4u)  your welcome my friend.  ribs are fun.   1000 different ways to cook ribs.  is anyway right.  nope.  is anyway wrong.  nope.  ;)
[/quote]
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 12:33:42 AM »

Best tool for me is a toothpick. Learned that from Sparky.   Women want him.  ;D

could you tell my wife that plz?  ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 12:34:17 AM »
dude, your on a rib quest.  rib quest are the best.  i went on one awhile back.   ;D

1)  I noticed most of the dudes on there smoke a rack of ribs at 275 for about 4 hours.

1a) perfect.  that what i use.

2b)  when i wrap my ribs i use butter, brown sugar and honey.  love it.  if i didn't want it so sweet i would use butter, brown sugar and honey. 

3c)  i do love my babybacks but today i noticed that my babybacks were $4 lb and spares were $2.50.  looks like my new fav is spares.

Thanks for the input.

4u)  your welcome my friend.  ribs are fun.   1000 different ways to cook ribs.  is anyway right.  nope.  is anyway wrong.  nope.  ;)
[/quote]

Hey Sparky!!  Thanks for chiming in here - I understand you are known around here as "The Rib Whisperer"  ;D
My first rib cook was 8 hours (3 hours at 160 deg and the remainder at 250) I really liked how they turned out as far as tenderness and all but I liked what you had to say about the 4 hours at 275 so I want to try that this weekend.  I think Sunday is rib day
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »
My preference is St. Louis ribs, but I would not turn down a good rack of BB's either.  I like the extra meat of the St. Louis vs BB's but the tenderness of the BB's is nice too.  So I guess you can say that my preference for St. Louis is just a slight edge over BB's.  Lately when I do ribs I have been doing a rack of each, a few bones off of each and I'm in heaven.  ;)

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline KyNola

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »
I apologize for barging in but as I was reading this thread I noticed that many of you mentioned that St. Louis cut ribs have more meat than baby backs.  I used to use St. Louis cuts exclusively until I tried baby racks one time.  The baby backs I purchase at the local Kroger grocery have way more meat than the St. Louis cuts.  The baby backs are more expensive and because of the price will most likely force me back to the St. Louis cuts but it won't be because of the meat content.

I am including a pic of some baby backs that I smoked on Monday to show the amount of meat on them.

And just for fun, here is a pic of the rack that I sliced them from. :)

That's the beauty of smoking food.  No one correct way to do it!

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »
Hey KyNola - nice looking bones - great smoke ring.  I have always done BB's too and will be doing the BB's this weekend as that is what I have in the freezer and the prices at Costco seem to be OK or at least consistent.  My curiousity is has peeked a bit with the posts I have read on the site and from some of the BBQ Pitmasters I have been watching lately.

I never turn down a rib of any sort  :P 

Thanks for chiming in - I appreciate all the information - that is what I was fishing for!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »
I like baby backs but not the unevenness of the cut.  Love spares for how even.  I go back and forth.  love sweeter rubs with a touch of heat.  some sriracha as the glue  :P

Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 05:31:25 PM »
I like baby backs but not the unevenness of the cut.  Love spares for how even.  I go back and forth.  love sweeter rubs with a touch of heat.  some sriracha as the glue  :P

Dang - I like the sound of the Sriracha - love that stuff!!!  Thanks for the idea
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
I like 'em all!

Sometimes i like the leaner and more even thickness of St. Louis style ribs, and sometimes I like BB ribs. Tho - I have not gotten the inside track on ribs like Larry ( Ky Nola ) has there! WOW..those are purdy Larry!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401