Author Topic: What to do after this cook?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Jaxon

Re: What to do after this cook?
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 10:28:20 PM »
So, I'm sittin' at the kitchen table whilst Deb is workin' on another loaf of bread.  We were talking about our cookin' yesterday and I read her your gracious comments about her bread.
I told her how easy it was having the grill on the patio instead of out in the backyard on the pad with the smoker.

She asked me, "is there anything out there that would make it easier for you to cook?"

I had to struggle to stay calm and speak slowly without trembling.  I said, "well...there ARE a couple of grills I've been researching for awhile, but...I don't know..." 

I talked with L A on the phone this afternoon and my grillin' guru told me about his vast knowledge and experience with the Akorn.  He has smoked 4 butts at once with his.
He wisely answered all my questions and kindly gave me some of his sage advice...just get the AKORN, JACK!!!

Well...it IS affordable (I've been saving for several months) and it will be another learning experience for me and it has more capacity than anything else I have. 

We have a friend who is wanting a charcoal smoker that she won't have to "babysit" and she was askin' for advice.  Deb told me to "buy the Akorn and learn how to use it, then you can show Peggy how to use it."  "okay, okay, I'll get one..."  "I'll use the gift card I received after I retired."  "You're a good man", she said.

So...Looks like the decision was pretty much made FOR me and believe me, I appreciate your comments in support of the Akorn.
Mike - I may be going to "the pellet side" in another 6 - 8 months.  Right now, I have 10 bags of charcoal to burn and nowhere to store pellets.  B T W, L A sez that this grill uses very little charcoal so I should be set for a long time.  I used well over half a bag yesterday.  I'm still gonna use the kettle, so keep those posts coming.

Thanks y'all...I'm going to bed to get a good night's sleep.  I have to get to Lowes tomorrow.

<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 01:37:09 AM »
The bread looks fantastic.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 03:26:24 AM »
Jaxon, you really did good on that chuck roast and Deb, your bread is perfect. I might need to try some of that bread my next trip through. Wish I could help you with your decision on which grill to buy, but I will eat anything you cook on any grill. Just sayin'.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 11:06:34 AM »
Jack that Deb is one of a kind, but I'm sure you know that. That chuck and bread looks fantastic. Like you I am retired and I do like stepping out on the back porch to cook. I had the Performer before the big spring sale and I sometimes regret selling it. I wanted a Komado type grill for a while and had to make more room by selling off everything. I think the Akorn will hold temps a lot better than the Performer Therefore being more economical. I hope to get me one right shortly and I will probably get a pellet grill when LA does hee hee . ;D
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »
Looking forward to hearing about your Akorn, Jack. I can see some excellent cooks coming...  ;)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »
Jaxon:  I hope you did not buy that Akron grill yet.  After reading your posts, I researched ceramic grills even though I knew about the Green Egg and their higher cost.  I found out about Komodo Kamado grills at www.komodokamado.com.  You need to check out these grills, and be sure to go to the bottom of the home page at "click here" and read more about these grills with pictures, etc.  I asked my wife to get one for me on Father's Day;  I am glad my reflexes are still good and did not get hit by the flying frying pan!!