Recipes > Desserts

Who doesn't LOVE Pineapple Upsidedown Cake?

(1/7) > >>

teesquare:
Done in a cast iron skillet in my pellet grill  ;D

Trying to remember where this recipe came from. I have made it before, but I did some different things to it this time Here is the recipe and the "pour over sauce"  (
Save the juice from the canned pineapple and the maraschino cherries! )

1 cup of apple juice ( or pineapple juice and top off with apple juice )
3 lg eggs
1/3 - cup of butter
1/2 cup butter ( to be melted )
1-1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 jar maraschino cherries
1 cup of  crushed pecans
1 lg can of pineapple chunks ( save the juice!)
1- can of pineapple rings - or fresh cored -  - cut slices approx. 1/4'' to 3/8'' thick
1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist Butter Recipe Cake Mix  ( yep...that is the real name of it. )

You need a 12" deep side cast iron skillet - butter it a little, and get it warm - and set aside. Get another pan to melt the 1/2 cup of butter in it over low-medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir it around until it is melted in with the butter. Add pecans in- mix and remove from heat.

Now - place the pineapple rings in the cast-iron skillet, and the cherries as you like add 1/2 of the pecans, sprinkled around evenly int he gaps, etc...

Mix the cake mix per box directions - except that you want to add the heated butter and brown sugar you prepped above), and pineapple chunks ( drain all fluid into a cup or bowl for later use) , and pecans - and any leftover cherries ( again - save the juice!) as you like to the mixed batter and stir well. Slowly pour over the positioned pineapple rings in the cast iron skillet.

Bake in you grill ( or oven if you must... ;D )@ 350F for 50-75 minutes. You will need to test it for doneness sating at the 45 minute mark, and every 15 minutes thereafter.. Once it is done, allow cake to cool for 15 or more minutes, run a butter knife around the inside edge of the skillet, to assist with release.
I like to place a large platter over the skillet, then turn it over to insure I don't goof it up getting it out of the skillet...

Now...
Take the residual pineapple juice and maraschino cherry juice in an appropriate sized pot. Add your favorite - bourbon, or rum to taste ( I like a spiced rum called The Krakken )

And simmer until reduced so that it coats the back of a spoon fairly heavy - not molasses, more like a light syrup.

Then pour this all over the top of the cake and let it sink in......I know, I know....now - wipe the drool from your chin.....  :D 8)

muebe:
Dang that looks really good Tee!

sliding_billy:
You can bring me one of those the next time you swing through DFW.

Pam Gould:
Very nice in cast iron.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

hikerman:
Pineapple-upside-down cake is one of my favorites Tim and yours looks to-die-for buddy!   :P Very nice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version