Author Topic: More practice on the AKORN  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Jaxon

More practice on the AKORN
« Reply #-1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »
Yesterday I was was way over bogey golf...
I got the Akorn hot and could NOT get the temps down to a manageable range.  The little voices started in my head...

Then "Sunshine" called (y'all call him L A) and asked how it went.  When I told him, he calmed me down and told me "Don't panic.."
Then he commenced to tellin' me again how to set the vents when starting the fire and change 'em up as you get close to the target temp...THEN he sent pictures of the vents so I couldn't miss it.  This is one grasshopper that will listen to advice.

Well I went back to the kamado site and reviewed more videos and came up with a plan.

I played par golf today - maybe one stroke under par for the day.
I set up the Akorn for a fuse burn (you'll see the pics) and lit about 5 or 6 briquettes with a half piece of a Weber wax cube.  It took about 15 minutes for the fuse to light, but today I learned patience is the key to the kamado.  When I could see they were going to stay lit, I closed the dome and set my vents like LA told me to.  Then I had to wait and wait for the temp to begin to rise.
Short version is this - I let the temp s-l-o-w-l-y rise to today's target temp of 225* - I wasn't cookin' anything but a pan of water - but I had to see if I would be able to sustain a long cook at that temp.  As the temp got to 200*, I set the vents like LA told me to and "the little Akorn that could" just glided right on into that zone and stayed on 225 for 5 1/2 hours with no diddlin'.

At 5:30 I opened the vents to bring the heat up.  Then we grilled some chicken tenderloins and corn on the cob.

Again, a hat tip to L A for his advice.

[attachment deleted by admin]
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: More practice on the AKORN
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »
very good Jack,glad its coming along.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
very good Jack,glad its coming along.

X2 ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Vir

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:41:46 PM »
Jaxon if you get the chance try some lump coal. I have had good consistency with it in mine as long as I set the vents right. Almost closed on the bottom and 0.5 on the top got me in about the same 225-250 range depending on the wind. The lump coal seemed to burn longer and give more smoke flavor for me without having to add any chips or chunks

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 10:01:06 PM »
It is all about learning your new pit and you are well on your way  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 10:50:03 PM »
Good for you, Jack as you learn your new pit. Thanks to LA for his help, and thanks to YOU for such a good report - I am learning a lot just reading your posts. Thank you!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 03:30:47 AM »
Sounds like you are having fun.  That's what matters.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline RAD

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 06:17:00 AM »
everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 08:14:11 AM »
I had the same learning curve on my BGE, a little practice is all it takes.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »
Thanks for posting Jack. Keep posting what you learn....still looking at the Akorn Kamado.
I had good results on my Weber Performer...we called it the snake method or ring of fire. It does work on long cooks though.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
I question the accuracy of this post....specifically, I question the part about Jack being a near scratch golfer.  I don't think the boy knows what a golf club it.  Deb does---she refers to them as "husband adjustment tools".  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »
I question the accuracy of this post....specifically, I question the part about Jack being a near scratch golfer.  I don't think the boy knows what a golf club it.  Deb does---she refers to them as "husband adjustment tools".  Dee
;D ;D ;D
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 01:01:14 AM »
;D ;D ;D

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)