Author Topic: Smokey Joe not meeting expectations...  (Read 873 times)

Offline flbentrider

Smokey Joe not meeting expectations...
« Reply #-1 on: June 16, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
We've had a smokey joe - little kettle - for a year or so.

Bottom line - never gets hot enough.

I've tried natural charcoal in the chimney, match light kingsford - what looks about right, what looks like not enough, what looks like too much - vents open, closed, etc..

With the coals all white I can still hold my hand right over the grate for at least 5 seconds, maybe longer. It took 15 minutes to get 3 rib eyes to medium rare.

I'm guessing It's getting to 200F or so, I'd prefer 400F+...

Never any flare ups, though :)

I usually start with a pyramid of charcoal in the center and spread it out after they are ready. About the only thing I have not tried is to push it all to one side to start.

Maybe I just need the bigger Jumbo Joe. I really just want an American made portable grill that works... :)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:47:25 PM by flbentrider »

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Smokey Joe not meeting expectations...
« on: June 16, 2014, 01:25:21 PM »
I use a full chimney of charcoal in my WSJ, I know that's a heck of a lot of charcoal in a small grill, but it gets the job done when grilling.  I have a set of GrillGrates on mine and it heats up nicely.  Once I'm done grilling I close off all the vents and most of the charcoal is still usable for the next cook. I just add more fresh coals to fill up the chimney starter again on the next cook.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:30:48 PM by Las Vegan Cajun »
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »
Is it a Silver with the vent in the bottom or the Gold with the vents on the side?
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »
Silver - vent on the bottom, also one on the lid.

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 02:12:17 PM »
I believe the Silver is suppose to be the hotter of the two because of the bottom vents except for when they plug up with ash.  People use small inverted cans with holes in the side to cover the bottom vent and to prevent the ash from plugging the vent.  I believe with both it's recommended to get the coals going good in a chimney before cooking.  I have the Gold which does lack in heat because of the side vents, unless you play games with it and redirect the air flow. 
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 01:41:05 PM »
Does anyone have a Jumbo Joe?

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 05:16:53 PM »
Just fired up the WSJ, here are the temps I'm getting with a full chimney of coal.

This is right at the WSJ grill.

This is with the GrillGrates on top.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »
That looks like more charcoal that I have been using...

I need the space the WJJ provides anyway.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 07:24:26 PM »
Ralph,do you use the large chimney or the smaller one?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »
Ralph,do you use the large chimney or the smaller one?

I'm using the large one, it fills the WSJ up with coals to just under the grate. That would be too much if one were to cook on the original grates, but since I'm using GrillGrates it works out nicely.  Once done with whatever I'm grilling I put the lid on and shut off the vents to snuff out the charcoal.   Usually I have enough charcoal leftover to fill the large chimney starter 3/4 of the way full, I top off the chimney starter with fresh charcoal, light it up and do it again.
----------------------