Author Topic: Daniel Boone .... Where's The SMOKE ???  (Read 19124 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Daniel Boone .... Where's The SMOKE ???
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 03:44:36 AM »
bear mountain, bbq's delight and our own sponser cookingpellets are all very good pellets to use in your DB.

These are the brands I use to. Mostly BBQ Delight and Cookin Pellets. Green Mountain Gold is another good one. I have personally
found that the Perfect Mix from Cookin Pellets gives me the best smoke flavor, WITHOUT using my Amazen tube.  I do use the
tube when we want extra smoke flavor. If I want it real smokey then I use my WSM.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 07:06:10 AM »
I also use Cookin pellets perfect mix and really like them. Bear mountain also makes a good pellet ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 11:42:59 AM »
I've had my GMG D. Boone for about a year now and have not had any smoke issues. Like all new "tools" there is a learning curve to get through to learn how best to use your new "tool" to your personal satisfaction. In saying that,  the pellets I've used without issue are Lumberjack,  Perfect Mix by Cookin Pellets,  and GMG Pellets. All pellets are not created equal! I also use on occasion a 6" A-Maze-N tube for times when I need a lot more smoke flavor or when cold-smoking. I generally start at 150F for an hour before turning up the heat. Play around and in a short while you will find your sweet spot! Good luck Cat!

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »
OK, this is where I am with the GMG DB .... (hey Low n Slow, this may help you too !)

I never mentioned that I had the lid/door replaced due to a 1/2" gap, the new lid had only a 1/4" gap to begin with, now it's at about 1/2" again.

I've added the pellet tube smoker and a downdraft hood, which I figured I'd add anyway, and has added smoke, good mods .... still not enough though, too much smoke escapes through the gap, so now I see the final solution is closing that gap.

I'm considering buying fiberglass 1/8"x1" wide gasket with the addition of 1/4" or 3/8" rope to fill the gap.
http://www.stovegaskets.com/#!gaskets-by-the-foot

The other thought is to add a latch .... as always, I appreciate all input and suggestions !!!
GMG Daniel Boone
Southwest Discada 24" Rio Grande
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 09:47:08 PM »
I would suggest adding the gasket.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 09:53:15 PM »
OK, this is where I am with the GMG DB .... (hey Low n Slow, this may help you too !)

I never mentioned that I had the lid/door replaced due to a 1/2" gap, the new lid had only a 1/4" gap to begin with, now it's at about 1/2" again.

I've added the pellet tube smoker and a downdraft hood, which I figured I'd add anyway, and has added smoke, good mods .... still not enough though, too much smoke escapes through the gap, so now I see the final solution is closing that gap.

I'm considering buying fiberglass 1/8"x1" wide gasket with the addition of 1/4" or 3/8" rope to fill the gap.

The other thought is to add a latch .... as always, I appreciate all input and suggestions !!!

Cat, check this out.

www.amazon.com   search for Nomex gasket for smoker/grill

I have not used this product, (which comes in different sizes) but a few guys on here have with good results. I'm thinking of adding to mine. It certainly can't hurt. I have about a 1/4" gap at the bend, up towards the hinges.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:59:19 PM by hikerman »

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 10:50:19 PM »
Thanks guys, that's the direction I was going also. I can always tear it off and start over if I want.
GMG Daniel Boone
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 10:57:08 PM »
is it new? have you called them and told them you are having issues with the top not fitting?
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 04:26:11 AM »
I bought a nomex gasket from Ebay that works good. It is says it's for the Traeger, but it fits
good on my Grid Iron. No smoke leakage from the lid area.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline jtrainor56

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »
Check out bbqgaskets dot com, they carry the Nomex gasket material in a self stick and different thickness and width. I have it on my Yoder. I also have the AMNTS tube smokers in 6" and 12". I bought a half pallet of BBQ Delight Apple. When I did brisket I put hickory in the tube smoker, works out fine.
Yoder YS640, Weber Genesis E310, Thermapen, 2-Maverick ET732, Q-Mats, AMNTS 12" & 6"

Offline old sarge

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »
Not a smokering?  Killer looking ribs none the less.  How was the flavor?

On my old offset, I would get smoke only with fresh laid in wood over existing coals.  At least, visible smoke, and mostly very light.  My ribs turned out looking very much like those you have posted.  And that appearance is the one thing I miss with the electric.  But the flavor is good.  What has been said earlier about cleaner burning in a pellet cooker is certainly true. If I were getting good tender smokey ribs, but just did not see much if any smoke, I might be concerned as well.  But the end result is really what counts.

You might be able to place a foil packet of chips with a couple of holes  on a grate above the burner pot and see if you can produce smoke that way.  I am not familiar with the DB (and most pellet rigs) to be able to say that it will work or if there is even a place to place additional chips.

Let us know.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 03:31:54 PM »
I ordered an A-maze-n tube at the same time I ordered my Rec Tec.  I have used the tube for each smoke but the RT seems to put out a lot of smoke on its own between 180 and 230.  I would venture to say that smoke is a product of the pellets more than the smoker.  So far I have only used the Pellets supplied with the RT when I bought it
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 07:23:36 PM »

Cat, check this out.

www.amazon.com   search for Nomex gasket for smoker/grill

I have not used this product, (which comes in different sizes) but a few guys on here have with good results. I'm thinking of adding to mine. It certainly can't hurt. I have about a 1/4" gap at the bend, up towards the hinges.

Well, this is 1/8" Nomex self adhesive, this side was the worse, so I put 5 layers on this side .....

4 layers on this side .....

And one across the top laterally ...

Besides retaining more smoky goodness, I'm expecting it to also keep more heat in for such things as grilled mac n cheese that I plan on doing tomorrow  ;D

Thanks everyone, great input ! I'll keep you posted !!!
GMG Daniel Boone
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 07:41:49 PM »
Looks like the gaskets filled the gaps.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 07:43:40 PM »
Just wondering...Did you contact Green Mountain...and send the pics of your warped door? I would have thought they would replace it if the fit was that bad....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401