Author Topic: Daniel Boone .... Where's The SMOKE ???  (Read 19120 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Daniel Boone .... Where's The SMOKE ???
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
Just an observation on my part but isn't that lid so thin that it is bound to warp with high heat?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 07:56:42 PM »
 Careful muebe...This thread is going in the direction of one that got the Green Mountain Fan Boys Mafia ( otherwise known as Pelletheads.... :D) P.O.'ed at me for asking the same kind of questions - and without any slighting GMG in any way! :D :D :D :D They just did not want to hear anything that might be mis-construed as criticism of the "house brand" it think! ;D :D ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »
Just wondering...Did you contact Green Mountain...and send the pics of your warped door? I would have thought they would replace it if the fit was that bad....

Yes, and this is the replacement door. This new door once I replaced it, had only ~ 1/4" gap, and then after use it went back up to 1/2" + on the one side. The dealer is ~ 100 yards from our office, and did not hesitate ordering me a new door. I really don't understand why the problem, but this is a good & cheap fix. And now it has to cure, or I'd be using right now !
GMG Daniel Boone
Southwest Discada 24" Rio Grande
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
Just an observation on my part but isn't that lid so thin that it is bound to warp with high heat?

Well, yes, when I said I don't understand the problem ... that's my take, in a kind and gentle way of saying that it must be warping with the heat.
I have sent a link of this thread to the dealer ...
GMG Daniel Boone
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
Good!

GMG and their dealers support their product but this problem and the warping drip pans have been sort of an issue they have been trying to correct for some time. My guess is that they will help you out via a solution or replacement until it is right.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 08:46:18 PM »
For what it's worth, I've had a D. Boone for about a year. I had heard of warpage issues with grease pan and lid fit. I discussed with my dealer and I was assured ANY problem would be taken care of. Now I've been fortunate in that knock on wood I've been spared problems except out of the gate my low-pellet alarm failed and was replaced in 3 days. I have no warpage on grease pan, but I've always used the wind deflectors. My lid, yes it's thin, but it has not changed since it was new. There is maybe 1/4" gap at the hinges, but snug everywhere else. I've used this grill plenty at high heat, pulling out pizzas, bread , and the occasional steak seared on Grill Grates. The controller is exceptionally good and no issues there. So my two cents is the fact this grill is made in China, means it has Chinese-made steel. Which varies in quality on a daily basis, much like the stock market varies. I lucked out I guess, my steel was a good batch....maybe? :-\
If I had to do it all over, I'm not sure I'd rebuy this Boone, but I am happy with it's performance to date. No beefs there. But it was not built to last a lifetime, and it won't.

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »
I was dissappointed to see that it was made in China, and considered not buying it because of that.
GMG Daniel Boone
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 09:01:34 PM »
For what it's worth, I've had a D. Boone for about a year. I had heard of warpage issues with grease pan and lid fit. I discussed with my dealer and I was assured ANY problem would be taken care of. Now I've been fortunate in that knock on wood I've been spared problems except out of the gate my low-pellet alarm failed and was replaced in 3 days. I have no warpage on grease pan, but I've always used the wind deflectors. My lid, yes it's thin, but it has not changed since it was new. There is maybe 1/4" gap at the hinges, but snug everywhere else. I've used this grill plenty at high heat, pulling out pizzas, bread , and the occasional steak seared on Grill Grates. The controller is exceptionally good and no issues there. So my two cents is the fact this grill is made in China, means it has Chinese-made steel. Which varies in quality on a daily basis, much like the stock market varies. I lucked out I guess, my steel was a good batch....maybe? :-\
If I had to do it all over, I'm not sure I'd rebuy this Boone, but I am happy with it's performance to date. No beefs there. But it was not built to last a lifetime, and it won't.
Sounds like a fair assessment to me...Just like many of us have some Char-Broil products. And - we know that they are not the best built, heaviest made...but they are also feature rich for the money spent. It is a trade off. And - usually favors the consumer. GMG offers a lot of "bang for the buck" in features. But the trade off may be in gage of metal I suppose....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 09:06:52 PM »
Sounds like a fair assessment to me...Just like many of us have some Char-Broil products. And - we know that they are not the best built, heaviest made...but they are also feature rich for the money spent. It is a trade off. And - usually favors the consumer. GMG offers a lot of "bang for the buck" in features. But the trade off may be in gage of metal I suppose....

I'm already looking forward to a blanket to have "custom" sewn for winter cooking, and maybe even summer if I need to keep the wind from extracting heat. I know they sell one, I'd rather have my own made here in Colorado !
GMG Daniel Boone
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline hikerman

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2014, 09:18:30 PM »
Hey Cat check out welding blankets. Beware, not all of them are created equal as well. But a pretty good one is still pretty reasonable.

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2014, 09:45:17 PM »
You
Rock Hikerman, Harbor Freight is close by, are these acceptable ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=welding+blankets
GMG Daniel Boone
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline hikerman

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 10:05:23 PM »
Unfortunately Cat I've heard the fiberglass ones shed fiberglass dust.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 10:39:15 PM »
Careful muebe...This thread is going in the direction of one that got the Green Mountain Fan Boys Mafia ( otherwise known as Pelletheads.... :D) P.O.'ed at me for asking the same kind of questions - and without any slighting GMG in any way! :D :D :D :D They just did not want to hear anything that might be mis-construed as criticism of the "house brand" it think! ;D :D ;D

I had my own issues with Pelletheads as you know but there are some really good members there. Just very bad management.

When I left I posted a thread saying goodbye and it was just due to a difference of opinion. Nothing negative or bashing. Did not even post the details of what really transpired. Then all the management minions came into the thread to bash me and arguing with members who were also tired of the way they were treated. Really showed how split and disconnected that forum really is.

The owner is an extremely nice guy. He did contact me and asked me to stay. I told him that I would only come back if there was a change in forum administration. Still the same last time I checked ::)

Too bad because they really have a great group of members and are a hub for pellet grill owners. A lot of knowledge and great information.

Sorry to hijack the thread I just wanted to respond to Tee's comment.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 10:53:54 PM »

I had my own issues with Pelletheads as you know but there are some really good members there. Just very bad management.

When I left I posted a thread saying goodbye and it was just due to a difference of opinion. Nothing negative or bashing. Did not even post the details of what really transpired. Then all the management minions came into the thread to bash me and arguing with members who were also tired of the way they were treated. Really showed how split and disconnected that forum really is.

The owner is an extremely nice guy. He did contact me and asked me to stay. I told him that I would only come back if there was a change in forum administration. Still the same last time I checked ::)

Too bad because they really have a great group of members and are a hub for pellet grill owners. A lot of knowledge and great information.

Sorry to hijack the thread I just wanted to respond to Tee's comment.

Not a problem, I bailed recently from a Ferrari Formula one forum, same story, different day.
GMG Daniel Boone
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:12 PM »
Unfortunately Cat I've heard the fiberglass ones shed fiberglass dust.

No kidding, thanks, I didn't t h i n k of that  ;D
GMG Daniel Boone
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide