Author Topic: Seasoning my new Wok  (Read 12948 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Seasoning my new Wok
« Reply #-1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:26:16 AM »
Jun 24 2014

Years ago I was into stir fried Asian cooking and had a wok. Then I kind of got away from it and not sure what happened to the wok. Cooking out a stir fried dish is good with chicken or fish and I have done a lot just in a flat skillet. I decided to get another wok and do some stir frying outdoors on my gas burner.

Gas is a better heat source for using a wok than my electric stove and it will be much easier getting all done at the same time outdoors in the same area. It will save this old man from running back and forth or taking the meat inside to hold while doing a quick stir fry for a side dish.

The ideal wok is made from low carbon steel and requires seasoning just like a cast iron skillet. I needed a wok with no wood for handles to do my favorite 6 step seasoning in and oven at 490 deg. I found a 14 inch one with metal loop handles that came with a ring for $24.

My favorite seasoning method came from a post by Sheryl Canter. She used flax seed oil but I could not find it because it has a short shelf life and I found to order it was too expensive. To me the best alternative was grape seed oil. I have used it to redo two old cast iron skillets and it gives a nice deep black finish that lasts.

The seasoning process was to coat the wok with a thin coat of oil then using paper towels wipe it all off. It will still have a light coat. Place it in the oven and set to 490 deg. Leave it there for one hour, my oven takes about 15 minutes to get to 490 deg. so it is at that temp for 45 minutes. Turn the oven off and let cool before removing. Repeat this process six times and you will have a nice dark non-stick finish that will last.

Sheryl used 500 deg. for her temp; why don’t I? Not sure, I am old school and 500 deg. just sounds too hot, 490 sounds better! Now all I have to do is try to turn out some good food on my wok!

Washed and ready to season

After the first seasoning

After the third seasoning

Sixth coat done and ready to use

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Seasoning my new Wok
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:53:22 AM »
Great job on the seasoning, looking forward to seeing some stir fry.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 07:20:19 AM »
Been thinking about getting a wok that fits on the big easy. Thanks for posting the seasoning process Don.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:05:59 AM »
Nice looking wok. Great work!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:56 AM »
Nice Don!! Lets see that baby in action!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:45:14 AM »
That sucker looks like it is ready for action. Looks like nothing will stick to it now  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:04:49 AM »
Don,
Your wok is a thing of beauty in the last picture.  One of the things my wife likes is nicely sliced veggies and pork or beef or chicken cooked in our wok.  One of the best ways to get her to eat her veggies.  She is not a big veggie person.  I kid her that she needs to learn to "like" veggies for those times when the grandson visits.  You know, set the proper example!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
It looks great Don, and it will get even darker with use.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »
reading my mind,Im waiting on mine from amazon right now.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 10:47:06 AM »
That's the best seasoning job I've seen on a new wok, I'm looking at picking up a disk at the local farm and ranch supply to make my own wok so I will be using your seasoning method when it's done. How long did you wait between seasonings?

Offline spuds

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »
OK Don,took your advice and used the grape seed oil.

Mine has wood handle so could only go to 350F. I also oiled handle,and did about 90-120 minutes per cure.Got three on so far,will add more later,looking real good so far.

Mrs insisted it have a flat spot on bottom,she doesnt like rings unfortunately.Had to laugh at poor reviewers on amazon,did you know the metal will rust? LOL for sure! ::)

Have to yet teach Mrs wok means HOT cooking,get that pan HOT. ;D

Wish I could cook like I did as a teen,I worked in a Chinese restaurant.Chefs smoked non stop,and ashes in food is a flavor enhancer,LOL.Seriously,at one time I was a great wok cook,wish I remembered all the stuff I knew then.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
Saber,I let mine cool in oven to about 130 maybe,and toss on another coat.Just slightly hotter than hands can tolerate.Ideally they say let cool between cures.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 12:54:39 PM »
Saber I let mine cool at least 12 hours, not sure how long it should cool. I usually did a cure at noon and then when I got up my usual midnight. Spud will be looking for some pics and cooks from the both of you. I see Nepas got him a nice one too. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 01:21:36 PM »

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 12:30:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies, now I just need to find a good plow disk and get to work.