Author Topic: how the h#ll do you control the heat?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
how the h#ll do you control the heat?
« Reply #-1 on: June 25, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
Ok, don't laugh at the neebee.  I lite 2 small places in the lump.  Waited 3 minutes and put the place setter on and grate.  Shut het up.  Left top and bottom vents wide open.  Once it hit 250 I shut bottom vent to a 1/2".  Top closed it to just the daisy wheel.  When inside to make abt's.  Came out and we are at 385.  Crap.  Shut the bottom more.  1 hour later it is still 375.  Abt's are cooking well.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: how the h#ll do you control the heat?
« on: June 25, 2014, 05:42:01 PM »
I call that low and slow.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 07:05:21 PM »
Happened to me ONCE...second attempt it got away and shot to over 500*.

You can't leave 'em alone while you are starting up, especially with the vent open at all.

Remember, I am just a backyard jack, but I learned from LA and "experience" that the best way to start it is to raise that temp is very slowly for the first few cooks till you get a handle on it.

Somebody will jump in here to give some details.  Believe me, it'll be alright.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
A ceramic grill is delicate and likes to be talked to while getting her going :) I always opened her up fully and waited until the black smoke stopped. then I would close the bottom to a fingers width and the top to a 1/4" and let it go for twenty minutes to see where it was at temp wise. You have a Iq110  and that works wonders for a long cook. Just don't get to frustrated sparky as there is a learning curve but you have to figure that part out by trial and error, that's what I did. Good luck Mister :)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 12:59:53 AM »
what I learned is....
set the vents at the beginning, where they ended up when you got it to the temp you wanted it to run at
it will settle down a lot faster if the vents are set at their final setting from the beginning

i will try this tomorrow jack.  ty. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 08:07:57 AM »
I start mine wide open with the lid up until she's good and lit, then I put the place setter on.. close the bottom vent to 3/4 closed and I adjust the daisy wheel untill I get the temp I'm after. Seems to work for me.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 08:45:39 AM »
Ya ought to check out the forum for the BGE Sparky. Probably can lurk around and get some answers........my Boss has had an Egg his entire life. His Dad would buy them for 5.00 in Japan after World War 1  (that's right WW ONE) and bring em over here to the States...

One thing he tells me is when the heat rises those eggs really hold the heat in and it is impossible to get the heat back down to desired lo and slo settings.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32