Author Topic: Memorial Day Cook  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

Memorial Day Cook
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2016, 11:35:42 AM »
Normally I get my proteins at Rest Depot but being a holiday went to Walmart and got a nice 5.36 lb spare rib rack.  Even though the package says up to 8% extras added, at $1.84 a lb still a good deal. My previous PBC rib cooks were less than satisfactory so I adjusted the method.  Trimmed for St Louis style and kept the breast/brisket bone separate. You can see on the pic that it yielded a lot of food.  The brisket bone was hacked into rib ends.  I cooked in the 3-2-1 style.  First about 2.5 hours UN-wrapped but suspended with 2 hooks to keep up away from the flame. Then with foil (drizzled turnabando sugar and honey)for about 45 minutes and then sauced for another 45 minutes.  The bottom ribs were a little darker but it did not affect the taste.  I had about a half basket of left over Royal Oak briquettes and lit about a 1/4 chimney of fresh coals.  I was able to maintain an average pit temp of 250F.  This also proves again to me, that you don't have to light a lot of coals to get that low and slow temp.  I also added some beef back ribs, corn and a potato.  I shut the pit down (with foil in the rebar holes) after 6 hours and there was still plenty of juice left in the coals.  By the way all tasted really good without any funky smell.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline hikerman

Re: Memorial Day Cook
« on: May 31, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
They look very good! Glad you got your magic back!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 02:32:46 PM »
Those bones look real good.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Memorial Day Cook
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:09:30 PM »
Excellent looking ribs
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 11:01:56 AM »
Those are some great looking bones!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven