Author Topic: Sad Sunday loin back ribs  (Read 1231 times)

Offline JimmyV

Sad Sunday loin back ribs
« Reply #-1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:25:17 PM »
Well I'm a firm believer in sharing failures as well as successes. I wanted to give some loin back ribs a try on Sunday as I have only done spares up to this point. I started the coals off the same way as I always do using the lighter fluid method and giving them 11 minutes to burn before starting my cook. I was using the kingsford professional this time around. When I went out at 11 minutes to hang the ribs that were completely ashed over and too hot. I hung the ribs and shut off some of the air flow hoping to cool the temp down. I wasn't able to babysit it as we had errands to run and I had planned to hang and run coming back to check in 2-3 hours as ribs usually take me quite a while to get done. This is usually not a problem with the PBC. I got back and checked them at 2 hours and 20 minutes. The fire had stayed hot and most of the coal was already expended and the ribs were close to overdone three hours before I had planned to be having dinner. I went ahead and sauced them and put them back on to set the glaze for another 15-20 minutes. I went back out to pull them off and the smaller of the two racks had fallen from the hook into the coal basket and was burned beyond the help of even the intensive care unit. The other rack was okay and actually turned out to be my girlfriends favorite ribs that I've done so far. (she likes them over done) So needless to say my first loin back experience was less that favorable.

Offline muralboy

Re: Sad Sunday loin back ribs
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:27:30 PM »
Look on the bright side - sounds like the girlfriend was happy...that can't be a bad thing
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 03:11:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about that. This happens to everyone at some point.....a cook less than desirable. Learn from it and get back up on the horse! ;D  I would only say when experimenting (which is good) do not leave. When you change one thing from a proven, a lot can go wrong as you have found out.  I usually put the ribs on the grid after saucing. I have a feeling your next ribs are gonna be a homerun!

Oh is your girlfriend TMB / Tommy's sister? She likes things on the crisp side!  :P

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 03:47:40 PM »
Don't let it get you down. We all learn from experimenting, failures and successes!

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 04:13:11 PM »
That Kingsford professional most likely lights faster and burns a little hotter.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 04:36:55 PM »
The nice thing about posting failures is we ALL get to learn from it!

I'm glad your other rack turned out so great!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68