Author Topic: Opinions on glass dish in PBC  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Paul Hart

Opinions on glass dish in PBC
« Reply #-1 on: February 06, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
Hey guys I have a heavy glass anchor hocking oven safe bowl that I'm wanting to dump a large can of baked beans in and put on the grate in the PBC during the first part of this cook because I'm starting off with a couple of pecan chunks and would like to get some good smoke flavor into them. I don't really have anything else that will fit in there with the other stuff that's going in. Think it'll be ok?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Re: Opinions on glass dish in PBC
« on: February 06, 2015, 05:18:04 PM »
I'd put it in there.  I would expect anything labeled oven safe to be okay at PBC temperatures.  It'll get smokey but it cleans off. 
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 05:21:19 PM »
I agree..go for it......The PBC doesn't reach 400-500 like an oven will.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 05:28:45 PM »
It's on then! Thanks guys. I'm hoping that the addition of some Stubbs sauce and some smoke will bring some canned beans to life.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 05:45:09 PM »
Which Stubbs sauce ya using??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 05:52:34 PM »
Original. Only one I've tried so far. I like it ok. Peppery.
I just stirred them and when I cleaned the spoon the proper way it already has a nice smoke flavor. :)
Pecan is awesome.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »
I agree..go for it......The PBC doesn't reach 400-500 like an oven will.............

Yes it does, that's the initial temp range. I'd monitor the temp before placing the Glasses glass thingy in there.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »
Original. Only one I've tried so far. I like it ok. Peppery.
I just stirred them and when I cleaned the spoon the proper way it already has a nice smoke flavor. :)
Pecan is awesome.

Yup, the pecan tastes like more.... :P :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 06:38:52 AM »

Yes it does, that's the initial temp range. I'd monitor the temp before placing the Glasses glass thingy in there.

I'm not sure how you guys are going about lighting this thing, but I have never ever seen anything close to 400°. If you fill the basket up, pull 40 Coals back out and like them in a chimney, wait 15 minutes, dump them in the basket and place the food and put the lid straight on, it should ride right up to about 270 and hang out there for about four hours without any problem. If I crack the lid for a few minutes it will shoot up to about 325 to 335 but that's pretty much forcing it to. I could see it getting pretty hot if you lit the coals and dump them in there and waited another 15 minutes before putting the lid on. But that's essentially just burning all your coal up too fast for no reason.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:44:34 AM by Paul Hart »
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
That's what you're supposed to do, light the coals, dump them in the basket when they're nicely hot, wait before putting your lid on. 
skip those steps and you have dirty smoldering fire. Not good eats.
Technically, if you start with hot temps you shouldn't have to mess with cracking the lid open during the cook.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »
A strong bed of coals is important especially when cooking chicken. The juices are dripping onto the coal bed and creating a humid environment. So even at higher temps things don't dry out.

But the drippings will weaken the coal bed so if you start out with one that is not very strong then temps will be even lower.

Everyone has their own way and that is what is fun about cooking. As long as your results are up to your satisfaction and standards then that is all that really matters.

I can tell you that the short time that Bigg has been on here he has produced some simply amazing cooks from the PBC and other cookers. Even new to Sous Vide and amazing stuff.

His advice should be listened to especially when it is about the PBC.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 12:23:37 PM »
*Definitely* not trying to argue with you guys, you have more experience than I do with it for sure, but I just went back and watched the video. He specifically says pour the chimney in after its lit for 15 min, put the rods in, hang the food, put on the lid and go. That's how I've done it almost every time and it's worked perfectly and no weird smoke or anything. The times I haven't done it that way I was trying to use less coals for the light and it resulted in me having trouble getting up to temperature for the first 20 minutes or so and I needed to crack the lid to get it going well around 270. Like I said not tying to argue. But I'm pretty sure that lit is lit, 15 minutes either way using fluid or using the chimney. I'm *pretty* sure you don't want the basket all the way lit either because you want them to light up gradually to extend the cook.
*shrug*  works for me, so... :)   Nothing is written in stone I guess. I may have to Change my technique when it's not 9,000 below zero out.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 12:31:54 PM »
I've heard so much sous vide talk since coming on here. What exactly is the deal with it? My mom sent me a pic this morning from the newspaper here that was an article about GE (located here) starting up production of a sous vide here soon.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 12:36:51 PM »
I just read the article. GE will be asking $149 for it and it will be controllable via a phone app. Apparently that's cheaper than most. I guess I have some research to do.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2015/02/03/ge-launches-sous-vide-cooking-device/22802943/

Might toss this in general topics as well. Might interest other folks.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch