Author Topic: Lighting the Pit Barrel Cooker? Do I have to use lighter fluid?  (Read 14227 times)

Offline PatioDaddio

Re: Re: Lighting the Pit Barrel Cooker? Do I have to use lighter fluid?
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »
I've never tasted the lighter fluid in a couple dozen cooks. I'm sure not a supertaster, just an average guy. But, to me this works perfectly and the 20 minutes is spot on for the charcoal to be ready.

David

Roger all of that!

John

Offline RAD

Re: Lighting the Pit Barrel Cooker? Do I have to use lighter fluid?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »
When Smokey the Bear sees a fire he....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Love to cook and eat

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
I've never tasted the lighter fluid in a couple dozen cooks. I'm sure not a supertaster, just an average guy. But, to me this works perfectly and the 20 minutes is spot on for the charcoal to be ready.

David

Come to my house during the winter, yes we northerners still cook outside in the winter. 40 below sometimes even. Outside temps have a lot to do with how long your coals will be ready. Your 20 min. turned into 45 minutes for me the other night at -34 degrees. Elevation and outside temps have a lot to do with just how much heat your going to get out of these things. The hotter they burn the cleaner they will burn.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 08:31:25 PM »
Hey - you guys look over the Kingsford site - and their recommendations for using rolled up newspaper under the chimney....And tell me what you think. I have been usung that - but am open to other ideas.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 08:38:05 PM »
When I'm using charwood (I don't use briquettes), I start it in a chimney with a wad of newspaper under it...

Lighter fluid -- to me -- is just nasty and it gives an off flavor to the food.

You might as well start the charcoal with gasoline or napalm.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »

David

Come to my house during the winter, yes we northerners still cook outside in the winter. 40 below sometimes even. Outside temps have a lot to do with how long your coals will be ready. Your 20 min. turned into 45 minutes for me the other night at -34 degrees. Elevation and outside temps have a lot to do with just how much heat your going to get out of these things. The hotter they burn the cleaner they will burn.

I'm in Minnesota - gets a bit chilly here too...  ;) I cook outside all year, and yeah times do get a bit extended when temps drop below 0. But for the most part I have had pretty reliable success with my PBC (I do allow extra time if needed and agree with you re: hotter is cleaner.) Looking for a heat wave tomorrow - up to 19* - planning pulled pork and chicken halves in the PBC. Might wear shorts!

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
Take pictures.

Of your cooks that is not your shorts  ;) ;D

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »
Will do - have posted some here and many more on another forum. And no shorts shots!

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 09:39:54 PM »
A recent shot of some of my cookers on the deck (before shoveling a path to them...)

David

[attachment deleted by admin]
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 09:57:06 PM »
I have not had lighter fluid flavor issues with my PBC cooks ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Lighting the Pit Barrel Cooker? Do I have to use lighter fluid?
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 10:00:57 PM »
Will do - have posted some here and many more on another forum. And no shorts shots!

David

Their are other forums? ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 10:03:41 PM »

David

lol  ;D... ok I DO hang out on the Char Broil forum. I'm not a big forum / social media guy. For a long time it was only the CB forum. Then, T2 convinced me to come over here. I spend most of my time here, but still drop by the old place once in a while. Still some good folks that have not found their way over here...

Cheers,

David
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Lighting the Pit Barrel Cooker? Do I have to use lighter fluid?
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 10:14:12 PM »

David

lol  ;D... ok I DO hang out on the Char Broil forum. I'm not a big forum / social media guy. For a long time it was only the CB forum. Then, T2 convinced me to come over here. I spend most of my time here, but still drop by the old place once in a while. Still some good folks that have not found their way over here...

Cheers,

David

That T2 can be persistent. He plied me with money, rubs, and a player to be named later.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »

David

Cheers,

David

That T2 can be persistent. He plied me with money, rubs, and a player to be named later.

Money????  :o :o :o AND a player????  :o :o :o All I got was some dust....  :-[

Oh well - worked out for the best. Never would have found the PBC or met all of you if I didn't come over here...  ;)

David
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »
[color=blu
Money?  AND a player?  All I got was some dust.... 

Oh well - worked out for the best. Never would have found the PBC or met all of you if I didn't come over here... 

David
e][/color]

All good things come to those that recruit  more LTBBQ members David....... :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401