Author Topic: Wings In the PBC kinda  (Read 9031 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Wings In the PBC kinda
« Reply #-1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »

So I wanted wings and said lets do them in the PBC. Got it going and prepared my wings.

Wings getting ready

Not enought heat from the PBC so I had to finish them in The Big Easy.
Second time this PBC has not lived up to the big hooraaw everyone down south has given it.
Living up north this is not a cooker for cold weather, at least thats my opinion. Sorry I can only give a c+ so far.

Finished in the big easy and fed the kid

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:19:21 PM by smokendevo »

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Re: Wings In the PBC kinda
« on: January 28, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »
Wings look good Devo.  My works as advertised, but I am in south  Texas where yesterday we were wearing shorts outside with some flip flops  8)
I have a cooker at home that needed a few mods to keep up the temps even in the summer.  ;) 8)
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »
Well Mike I tried to get more heat going after I noticed the wings where not cooking after three hours in the PBC but by then it was to late. Getting more air in there was no use by then, most of the coals where almost done by then. Must have been the cold temps here I figure. Looking for answers as I don't like spending money on something that dont work like advertised  >:(

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:46:16 PM »
devo, wings look good. I can't speak to the PBC (cause I don't have one).

How did you cook the fires? I ask because you know you can cook them the your BE and they come out great.
Love to cook and eat

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:49:48 PM »
Well Mike I tried to get more heat going after I noticed the wings where not cooking after three hours in the PBC but by then it was to late. Getting more air in there was no use by then, most of the coals where almost done by then. Must have been the cold temps here I figure. Looking for answers as I don't like spending money on something that dont work like advertised  >:(

Have you contacted Pit Barrel Cooker?? They are outside of Denver I believe and it gets pretty cold there..give Noah and Amber a call.... :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »
No to contacking them as I am sure they check this site out almost every hour if they don't they should. I'm not totally disappointed in my cooker. I did make some really good pizza.
Hmmm almost three houndred dollars to my house delivered and I have really good pizza.

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:16:40 PM »
No to contacking them as I am sure they check this site out almost every hour if they don't they should. I'm not totally disappointed in my cooker. I did make some really good pizza.
Hmmm almost three houndred dollars to my house delivered and I have really good pizza.

Smokendevo- I do check this site daily, and we proudly stand behind our product and customer service. Please call us directly and we'll get this figured out. We work 24/7 and can be reached at 303-249-9069.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 07:22:23 PM »
smokendevo - I have a PBC and live in MN (got another 6" of snow yesterday and temps today are warm at 30*.) I can't speak to the wings as I have never found anything that beats my SRG for wings and have no reason to try. However, looking at your set-up, I suspect your wings are just too high in the cooker. I would have used the grill grate for the wings - get a bit closer to the coals. I've done probably a dozen chickens in my PBC, including after the snow started, and they are fantastic. Does take a bit longer as it got colder, but still some of the best chicken I've had. I probably have too many cookers, but I find that there are foods I prefer on different cookers (and sometimes changing them up for some different flavors...) So far, I give my PBC (at least for chicken, ribs and pulled pork) a solid A.

As for contacting Noah or Amber, if you are having problems, they are some of the nicest people you can talk with. I wouldn't wait and hope they find you - just give 'em a call - I bet you get the answers you need.

Good luck,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »
OK I have to say yes the wings where up a tad from the grill setting. This really should not matter if you add extra time to the cook. I did this and ran out of hot coals, my complaint....no heat to finish the cook. I did some ribs when I first got this cooker and never finished posting the final cook because they where not done to my satisfaction. I thought it was just me and at the time it was -35 below so I gave the cooker the benefit of the dult.
Not done with this thing to make it work here in below temperatures so stay tuned.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 07:46:45 PM »
Well said David, I have always felt that the "Sweet Spot" in the PBC is in the area where the grate sits.  Great call on the placement of the wings.

smokindevo, I sent Noah a message to get a hold of you and make you happy with your PBC!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »
Just to let you all know I just got harassed in a PM by the mod on this forum for having a complaint about the cooker....this just adds to my dis-appointment  >:(

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 08:49:42 PM »
Uh...I read the PM - and you were not harrased. You were asked to contact the manufacturer about any poduct issues BEFORE posting what feels like a complaint. That is only fair - and that is the way we are going to do it from now on.
Please don't make me be the bad-guy here. Anyone that does not bother to call a manufacturer first - but will get on a public forum and post a negative comment...just not fair.

In fact: here is the copy of EXACTLY what you received. If you are going to squeal "harassment" - then we will let all view it and decide:
Now, I am gonna put my Moderator hat on for a bit!!    Pit Barrel Cooker is one of our forum sponsors and we really are very happy we have these fine folks and their companies on board with us!
I can understand if someone is unhappy with a purchase and if that item is not working properly. In the case of Pit Barrel Cooker, Noah and Amber are about as nice a couple as you will ever meet and Noah darn near answers his phone around the clock. When I first got my PBC, I put a thermometer in it, freaked out and called him. Noah was willing to fly to California to personally show me how to use my PBC!!  I was being a complete moron!!

So I am asking everyone (and this goes for myself as well), if you want to tell us about your problems with your cooker that is fine. We might come with an idea to help you out. But please at least give the Manufacturer a chance to make it right!!

I can fully appreciate what you are going through. Especially when you shell out some bucks and you don't get the results we have all been ranting and raving about. Just give the Mfg a chance to make things right!!

So, let's change that attitude real quick, o.k.? We all value one another here. And - no one is perfect, tho sometimes we might think we are. ;D
This is THE warning.

Let's try to turn this positive - shall we?

"This really should not matter if you add extra time to the cook."

I have found there are various instances where time and temperature are not mutually exchangeable.  I would never jack the temp up too much on my boston butts too high to cook them faster -because they need enough time to allow the collagens and connective tissues to liquify and make the pork completely tender. I can get to the target temp faster...but without the amount of time needed...the pork will not pull well.

Likewise - a brisket cooked too low and slow - for too long will invariably not have the bark I want - and - again - may not reach temps needed for the needed tenderness.

My point is that Noah has designed this uber simple looking device - to have a designated cooking "zone" - where temp, and air volatility and other factors make for great results, and quite consistent. I think that if you had tried using the hooks to place your skewers a little lower...it may have worked better. Batter to ask Noah about that...

And - maybe you can try some lump charcoal during what most of think of as "Arctic Grilling Season" I *DO* admire your spunk! -( I would want fur lined underwear :D) to see if that does give you an increase in BTU for the time frame....Again - Noah.... ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:53:57 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »
teesquare
I am done with this site. Please remove me from it. Your post it is your site and not the sponsors is a load of bull poop. I had a complaint and just got hammered "with what are you talkin about." I don't want to belong to a site like this so please remove my posts and my nick name from your server.
Thank you
Smokendevo

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 09:00:17 PM »
T2 - Good reply and good caution to us all (especially late at night... if you know what I mean... ;)) But the best part might be the suggestion for using some lump charcoal when the temp really drops. Hadn't thought of that (and would like Noah's thoughts since this is a very well balanced system.) But, for sure I will try it in the 500X and Weber! Thanks!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:13:31 PM »
David - thank you.

I know that the lump charcoal burns hotter. And - that may help - or hurt depending on what one is trying to do - and under what conditions. There are and will always be environmental challenges that we must make adjustments for.
1. Wind - more so than temps in the range of temps we consider moderate/temperate - wind-chill can alter a cook dramatically.

2.Humidity and barometric pressure - ever wonder why sometimes - the meat you do EXACTLY the same way - can have more - or less of a smoke profile? Humidity can definitely play a hand in this.

3.Brand of fuel source - nuff said? Highly variable

4.time of day - radiant heat energy is not only FROM your pit. You can pick up significant "solar heat gain" if cooking on a bright sunny day - yes...even in winter.

5.meat temp when beginning cook - did you let it come to room temp?  If not...you will find it takes longer to cook.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401