Author Topic: Wings In the PBC kinda  (Read 9032 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Wings In the PBC kinda
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 07:13:45 PM »
That would be real neat if smokindevo comes back!! Maybe he never really went away in the first place!! If you are reading this smokindevo please come back home to Lets Talk BBQ!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »
Tried to PM him - not on the list. Tried a search - no luck. So, I have no email to send to. WOuld be happy to send if you can give me the email.

Thanks,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »
P.M. sent David
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
Kind of watching this and I really think these drum style cookers are more sensitive to wind than cold. More area exposed compared to a horizontal unit. If I was to attempt to cook in those conditions , I would set up some sort of windbreak or give it a wrap with a welding blanket making sure than the vent on the bottom was exposed. I would have also utilized my Big Easy basket  hung by whatever means to get it a further down closer to the fire. I don't have one yet, but I will as soon as I can swing it. Any cooker I have ever had has been affected by a cool wind, even here in Norcal where it does not get so cold. My Big Easy will not even cook some decent wings in a 15 mph wind in 60 degree weather. The only cooker I would bust out  in minus temps would be a Memphis insulated pit. I have seen some good reports on them in extreme temps. In my current state, anytime a windchill factor is involved, I'm back to the Crockpot and oven.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 09:51:19 PM »
Smokin Soon - Those are some really good observations. And I plan to build a "shelter" for my PBC this weekend! I have cooked on my 500X, G2G, SRG and Weber Performer through MN winters for years. I add time based on conditions and dive back inside to the crockpot when it is just silly to cook outside (even for me.) But your comments about wind are well taken. Thank you!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »
I think you bring up some good point Smokin!

And - I would like ot add that it is really hard to compare this type of pit to many others. it is just  different. But it is also less than $350.....
so it is hard of hard to expect it to be "all things to all people".

Having said that- a wind break helps no matter what kind of pit you are using. Just physics. ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
Smoke, you done good as Dee would say.  I found nothing in the PM you sent that would make me feel you "Got on to him" in anyway.  I don't own a PBC and I know Amber and Noah will help out anyway they can they just seem to be that kinda folks.

I will say this, those that have known me for awhile know I'll cook in just about any weather BUT -35 I'd draw the line and here is why.

Living in North Alabama we don't get temps like -35 but we do hit the teens and I have cooked in those temps and when I do I always use my SRG's or TBE why, because I know that will be the fastest way to cook in those temp and even then I add time to my cooks.  Example, 12 lb turkey that takes 2 hrs + or - a few mins will take almost 3 hrs, wings that take 35 to 45 mins will go 1 hr.    But there is temps that will just play havoc with your cookers and -35 is one of them.

I know my cookers inside and out,  it's possible that Devo had not learned all the in's and out's of this fine cooker and like Tee said he had a bad day to boot.

I for one feel right at home here and this is becoming my home site more and more.

Keep up the good work Smoke (& Smoochy ;) )

My 2 cents

Tommy       

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:47:33 PM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »
I asked for this thread to be deleted so we all can go on with whats important....smoking and cooking good food on a BBQ. I see its still here, OH by the way I still love you all

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »
I asked for this thread to be deleted so we all can go on with whats important....smoking and cooking good food on a BBQ. I see its still here, OH by the way I still love you all

Glad your back.   Lets get to cooking!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Wings In the PBC kinda
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 04:44:52 PM »

Hey Devo! You need to showcase some of that awesome looking bacon you made recently. MMMMMMMMM!! Notice its all caps ;D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 04:50:26 PM »
I thought about deleting it Devo...But, I think the value of this thread is that we ALL learned from this experience. In no way do we need to keep it going - and it need never be brought up again.

But, genuinely, this thread has helped LTBBQ fine tune some policies and how we handle things. And it has helped us all as members to know how we should handle certain circumstances.

Please remember LTBBQ is not much over 1 year old. And - me...I am a complete rookie at being a moderator. But I am not new at being a friend. And - THAT is the goal. Oh - and...there is BBQ as a bonus! :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:34:47 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 07:26:16 PM »

Welcome back buddy!  I was gonna send you another PM but it isn't there right now so I will go public:

I had no intentions in the world to pick on ya or chap your hide in anyway when I sent you that message. i would like to welcome you back to our growing family. Whether you are a new member or a grizzled vet or one of our Forum Sponsors...we got each others back. Like I told Tee one day "Someones gotta problem with you, they gotta problem with me"

So, come on in and stay a spell and Lets Talk BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!   sorry had to do some extra exclamation marks on that one  :D

Oh, and we got your back, welcome home.

Smoke
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:34:03 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 08:13:04 PM »
...OH by the way I still love you all

Whew!!!! I was beginning to think I might not get to see how that lamb leg Prosciutto would turn out!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Wings In the PBC kinda
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
Smokindevo.....glad you stayed. No finer people then this site.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »
Thanks for staying Devo! You are an asset to this forum and a friend.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven