Author Topic: Best budget smoker  (Read 16805 times)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
Best budget smoker
« Reply #-1 on: May 11, 2018, 08:44:27 AM »
Looking to compile a database of budget smokers that anyone can be successful with. Not just cheap. Along the lines of someone starting out in the smoke game looking to dip their toes, but not jump in. Or more likely someone with a young family, not a lot of disposable money but needs to make a quality decision so the wife doesn't view it as wasted money and stops future purchases.  I intended to use this to provide some information for my younger brother, but I can see this being useful for younger smoke newbies.

People like what they like. If you like an electric unit, vote for that and explain why. No bashing other forms as not being good enough.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: Best budget smoker
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »
I voted "other" as you seem to have left Blaz'n out of the mix  :D
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »
I voted "other" as you seem to have left Blaz'n out of the mix  :D

Those don't look budget. That Blaz'n 1 UDC looks very interesting. Like a PBC on steroids. I like the movability with the handle and wheels. Doesn't give the weight though.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 11:48:44 AM »
The best all out smoker would be the WSM.  Ppl gave been using them in competition and home use forever.  Easy to use.  But, a weber kettle can smoke too and very well at that.  Can I have two votes?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 12:58:50 PM »
The best all out smoker would be the WSM.  Ppl gave been using them in competition and home use forever.  Easy to use.  But, a weber kettle can smoke too and very well at that.  Can I have two votes?

I thought about allowing multiple votes, but decided against it with the mindset that if you had to save up 300 bucks and drop your hard earn money on only one cooker, what would it be.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline Kona

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 01:17:01 PM »
I'll say the PBC all day. It's a set it and forget it for someone just starting out. I've never monitored temps or attempted to get it to run a certain temp, it does it's thing. My first smoker was a Brinkman electric which immediately went in the garbage after the first cook on the PBC. You can smoke food as well as grill hot and fast on it and you can't beat Noah and his customer service  8)
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »
1.  Weber Kettle.  I know it's not a smoker per say but it will turn out excellent results with practice and let you do many many other things.
      Mine is the best little grill ever. It will teach you how to control fire as well.

2.  This is #1 if your just looking for smoke.   WSM,  How many times have you heard someone who has any common sense complain about one of these? They work and with a little practice can produce as good of results as a $10K trailer unit.

More importantly: Avoid the cheap gas units.  I have never seen a starter level gas smoker that consistently worked without being a pain sooner than later. 
 I've had a couple...The last time the one I had smutted over 4 roast I threw that *&^%@ almost to Tim's house!  ??? ::) ;D
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
Since you said "just dip the toe in" - My vote would be weber Kettle with an amazin smoke tube. There is a reason weber has been making the same style Kettle grill since 1952 - it just works! I still use mine all the time even though a own a pellet grill. Simple, quality, budget minded - and using the tube will introduce whomever to the wide world of pellet flavors / types so when they decide to drop some cash on a nice pellet grill, they will be ready!

BP

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 08:09:28 AM »
If you just want a smoker the PBC is the winner, hands down.

However, spend a bit more and get a 22" Weber Performer and you can also grill.

................and there is no shortage of real cool Weber add-ons. Weber and third partys have seen to that :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Kona

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »
If you just want a smoker the PBC is the winner, hands down.

However, spend a bit more and get a 22" Weber Performer and you can also grill.

................and there is no shortage of real cool Weber add-ons. Weber and third partys have seen to that :)

I grill on my PBC all the time  ;D
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »
If you're going charcoal, a Weber kettle, without a doubt.   They are a tried and true design that has been around for generations. You can absolutely do everything from low & slow smoking (indirect with coals off to one side), to grilling.  I've even done my fair share of cold smoking (during cool weather of course) on ours.

They are built to last, and have many, many third-party accessories such as rotisseries, pizza ovens, devices to aid with Low & Slow such as the Slow-N-Sear, etc.  You can even get a kit that converts it to a 22" WSM.

The ceramic enamel kettle has a ten-year warranty, and replacement parts are readily available.   It's hard to beat for the $$.

If you're looking for an entry level Pellet Grill I'd take a serious look at Rec Tec's new Bullseye (kettle style).   It has plenty of room for a typical family, and would get their feet wet in the pellet realm. 

The fact that you have to control the temperature manually does not bother me in the least.  That's exactly how my Stoven pellet grill attachment (for a Weber Kettle) works.  It's a nice mix of the ease of pellets with a little old-school hands-on control.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline rwalters

Best budget smoker
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 11:37:02 AM »
For me, after having bought/sold way to many smokers over the years, I’d recommend the 26.75 Weber kettle... and then as soon as you can swing it, add the XL Slow n Sear. I am in love with this “does all” setup :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »
My brother already has a duel fuel grill, so it looks like the PBC is winning (for now) the best budget smoker if someone already has a grill.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle