Author Topic: SRG Cast Iron Grill plate  (Read 4587 times)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
SRG Cast Iron Grill plate
« Reply #-1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »
I'm going to rent a cabin in may and the wife wanted to take the SRG. I purchased the cast iron Grill plate made for the SRG. It did not come with any instructions so I'm not sure if I would be wasting my time trying to season it. Anybody else have one of these grill plates and what did you do as far as seasoning the cast iron?

Aint no Unicorns in my Neighborhood ;)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: SRG Cast Iron Grill plate
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
Just in case..do some bacon, both sides. Or chciken..somethign greasy works well.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:43:30 AM »
Pam, would you suggest a coating of cooking spray on em while they are not in use??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
Pam, would you suggest a coating of cooking spray on em while they are not in use??
Smoke..I don't like that..if it dries it becomes sticky. It should say if it's preseasoned. I prefer bacon grease after seasoning. Never had a problem with that. Just wipe it good so you don't have clumps of grease...and if you do..just warm it then wipe it with a paper towel..it will be fine...do it just like you do cast iron..no soap and dry good. I always dry over fire so I know it's dry. Just wait with nothing else on it till your ready to season it. Looks like seasoned to me.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 12:06:43 PM »
I does look preseasoned but was made in china. I'll do the bacon thing, Thanks Pam.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 12:59:02 PM »
I've not seen one of those - guess I haven't been hanging out at CB enough lately. I'll be very interested to hear what yo think of it in use.

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 01:06:32 PM »
I've not seen one of those - guess I haven't been hanging out at CB enough lately. I'll be very interested to hear what yo think of it in use.

David
David, right off the bat I can tell you it is very heavy, even the shipping box from amazon had two heavy stickers on it. If you dropped it on your toe it would definitely break it.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 01:08:20 PM »
Key,

That sounds encouraging - well, not the toe breaking part...  ;) I've used a cast iron wok on my SRG and had great results, so I suspect you are in for a treat. Looking forward to the stories!

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
Decided to go to the charbroil website. Boy do I feel dumb, its porcelain coated :-[

•Also works well with any kettle grill or other outdoor cooktop

•Cook grilled cheese sandwiches, eggs, or pancakes on smooth side

•Cook meats, vegetables or other foods on ridged side for sear marks and to allow fats and oils to drain away from foods

•Durable porcelain-coated cast iron for superior heat distribution and retention requires no seasoning

•Measures 13.25" dia.
And it weighs 10 pounds

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 06:59:42 PM »
Key

No need to feel "dumb" - I didn't even go to the site after seeing your post...  ;)

I have to admit, my first thought was that the marketing folks at CB were trying to extend the SRG beyond it's range. It is an IR cooker - the advantage of the SRG / TBE is it cooks meat with fewer BTUs by using the IR waves to heat the protein as it hits vs. traditional convection heat. IR is much more efficient for many things and that is the advantage of TBE and SRG as well as other CB cookers. Adding cook tops means that the IR waves must strike the surface of the cook top and transfer to "normal" heat. At first blush this seems to defeat the goal of IR.

But, I have used a cast iron wok on the SRG and measuring temps with my IR therm - they are quite high - over 500*. So, it seems to work.

I have used my wok several times with great success. I have also used a Discada on the SRG with good success (did not check temp - will do that next time.) The point is, this little cooker seems to generate enough heat to cook at the surface even if it is not IR.

I look forward to hearing about your efforts.

David
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
Thanks David, Cant wait to use it :)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »
Would be great when camping for cooking bacon, eggs, and such.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline USAF - AMMO

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »
I NEEEEEED to order one of these for camping, the SRG just got better, my camping trip will now be complete. Smoking, grilling and now it does breakie! Happy Days.

The more i think about this, didnt someone else post on the other site an alternate griddle top that fit......

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 07:16:45 PM »
If you want a non coated cast iron griddle look at this one from Academy Sports. It will work on the SRG and even on TBE if you carefully line it up so as you don't block the vent holes in the top of the cooker. I have two of these and use them mostly on my CampChef gas range but they are good on an indoor gas cooktop, grill or whatever. Can't beat the price. Each time I use them I take them inside and clean them, then coat them with a very thin layer or grease and heat them back up, then wipe them down to store them. They are getting pretty well seasoned and slick now.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27889_-1__?N=395477678&Ntt=Keyword+or+Item+%23griddle&Ntk=All
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 08:03:15 PM »
I hope the porcelain coating on mine will withstand the expansion and contraction. Gonna test it out this weekend. I have wifi in my cabin they say so I'll feel right  at home this weekend :)