Author Topic: Pork Shoulder Question  (Read 5276 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Pork Shoulder Question
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »
I'm not sure what everybody said in the earlier replies (I'm easily confused) but I'm also not sure what all the fuss is.  Here's what I know (or at least think I know):

- There's no major difference between the meat in a picnic and in a butt since one is essentially an extension of the other (although the muscle in a picnic is better defined and many think it roasts a bit better) .
     - Either picnic or butt makes great pulled pork when smoked low and slow to about 200-205oF.  I don't use infrared for shoulders, butts, or picnics - Tommy (TMB) is the expert there.
     - Cooking any roast (beef, pork, whatever) with or without the bone is strictly a personal choice - there's no real evidence that the bone adds flavor and no real evidence that it doesn't.
     - If you're roasting a picnic for slicing or "chunking" you can leave the skin on and crisp it up a number of ways.  Easiest is probably to score the skin, roast at about 250oF until almost done, tent and rest for 30-60 minutes, then finish in a 500o oven for about five minutes till skin crisps. I'm guessing for infrared that's something like a LO setting for the roasting and HI for finishing.
     - If you're planning on making pulled pork from a picnic, you can remove the skin first and use it for chiccarones later.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline USAF - AMMO

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 04:33:10 PM »
Alright yall,
Remember i am in Italy, the butcher was going to trim the shoulder and remove the bone, this is what i got. It is 11lbs of goodness wrapped up and tied with twine. I planned on taking the twin off but he said to leave it on. So i am giong to use the normal rub i use for a boston butt and i am thinking about 6 hours? Remove the layer of skin before i shred it....

Please advise, cooking first thing in the morning and it is (1030 at night) Help me save the BBQ yall!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »
If it's the trimmed version of your original photo, it looks like he's boned and butterflied it.  If that's the case, I'd decide whether I wanted pulled or roasted as the final product. 

If pulled, I'd probably untie, remove the skin for later use, inject, rub, and reroll (no need to retie).  Then smoke for about 4-5 hours and finish to 200-205oF IT before FTC and pull.

If roasted, I'd untie, score the skin. season, retie, and smoke for 2-3 hours (I like less smoke on roasted pork), then finish to about 180oF IT before resting (foil tent) for 30-90 minutes and crisping the skin in a 500o oven.

Either way is good eats.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 06:03:28 PM »
Alright here is how I would cook it.   I'd go for pulled pork, so I would use CYM then rub with your rub (make sure low sugar) then if using wood chips or pellets get them going good on high first then once going drop the meat in and keep the temp set on high for 15 min's.

This will give you a good bark, after it has been in 15 mins then drop temp setting to low or atleast one notch above low drop the lid down and leave it for atleast 1 hr.  Now if you need to add chips do it when the old ones stop smoking.   Run the meat till you hit an IT of 200 to 205, remove wrap in foil (2 sheets HD foil) then wrap it with w towel then into a cooler or some sort of hold box that will keep it warm.

Wait about 2 hrs if you can then remove butt and pull it apart, just be careful that puppy is going to be HOT!   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »
Am I reading the "6 hours" comment right?  Gonna take a lot longer than that to cook 11 lbs.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »
Am I reading the "6 hours" comment right?  Gonna take a lot longer than that to cook 11 lbs.
I do 10 lb and 11 lb butts in 4 to 5.5 hrs.  During a backyard comp I was in I did six 10 to 10.5  (had 3 SRG's) all in 4 hrs and took 7th in pulled pork.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 02:26:46 AM »
... This will give you a good bark...

How you gonna get bark with the skin on?

Offline USAF - AMMO

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 05:56:10 AM »
Well something came up and the BBQ got pushed to another day, so i know have more time. I think i am giong to remove the skin, Not sure if this is an easy task or not, want to make sure i keep some fat on there for flavor. You mentioned to keep the skin for something else? Do tell what yuou had in mind.

Tommy, i am assuming that you were talking about removing the skin still right?

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 06:36:47 AM »
I do 10 lb and 11 lb butts in 4 to 5.5 hrs.  During a backyard comp I was in I did six 10 to 10.5  (had 3 SRG's) all in 4 hrs and took 7th in pulled pork.

I stand corrected.  I know the old ways ain't the only ways, but that is really quick.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 07:58:21 AM »
Well something came up and the BBQ got pushed to another day, so i know have more time. I think i am giong to remove the skin, Not sure if this is an easy task or not, want to make sure i keep some fat on there for flavor. You mentioned to keep the skin for something else? Do tell what yuou had in mind.

Tommy, i am assuming that you were talking about removing the skin still right?

The skin is good for Chicharrónes. You can cut the skin into strips and then deep fry to make them. One interesting way to make them is to dehydrate the strips first then fry them. They puff up in the deep fryer after about 10 seconds and are done. ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 08:58:27 AM »
If you don't like to deep fry chiccarones, you can make them in the oven...

• Cut the rinds into pieces about an inch and a half square.
   • Place in a pan of boiling water for 20-30 minutes
   • Drain and cool, then place in the fridge until the skins feel 'dry' approx 2 hours
   • Place the rinds on a baking sheet and season.
   • Cook in 225o oven (or smoker) for an hour, then in 400o oven for 45 minutes (until crisped).  You will probably need to drain the fat a couple of times.
   • Let them cool and add more seasoning, if needed.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 12:00:34 PM »
If you don't like to deep fry chiccarones, you can make them in the oven...

• Cut the rinds into pieces about an inch and a half square.
   • Place in a pan of boiling water for 20-30 minutes
   • Drain and cool, then place in the fridge until the skins feel 'dry' approx 2 hours
   • Place the rinds on a baking sheet and season.
   • Cook in 225o oven (or smoker) for an hour, then in 400o oven for 45 minutes (until crisped).  You will probably need to drain the fat a couple of times.
   • Let them cool and add more seasoning, if needed.

Great tip! Thank you, Ka Honu.

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 11:10:39 PM »
I would remove the skin off the shoulder that's if there is any on it.  I tried a shoulder a few months back with skin on and I will not do it again.   To much work to remove the meat from the skin
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker