Author Topic: Pork Shoulder Update  (Read 2599 times)

Offline USAF - AMMO

Pork Shoulder Update
« Reply #-1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:25:27 PM »
Well guys, i did it and it came out just ok, not nearly as good as the few Boston Butts I have done. As you can see in the pics the park was a little crispier than it should've been. It took about 5 hours to hit 195. Once i pulled it i used the FTC method for two hours as i usually do for a butt. I used the same Rub I use on my ribs and butts as well (never had an issue with the bark charring this bad). I untied the shoulder thinking i was going to be able to remove the skin. As i did this i realized it was tougher than i thought to remove the skin and keep some fat so i scored the skin. gave it a good rub down with CYM and my rub. Started the SRG on high, once my pellets started smoking I dropped it in, left on high for 15 minutes and placed on to low. After pulling all the meat it was kind of dry. the taste was good, just dry. The ribs saved the day!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline USAF - AMMO

Re: Pork Shoulder Update
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »
I forgot to say that i think it may have been dry because it was cut up when he deboned it.... this make sense?

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »
Looks great and nice bark!!

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 01:38:56 PM »
I have to ask what rub did ya' use?    If it has sugar in it then that would cause the heavy bark/burnt on the meat..

Also was there any fat on the meat or did they trim it off?   If you don't have a lot of fat then it can dry out the meat.

Let us know
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline USAF - AMMO

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
I have a hoade rub, no sugar at all, use it all the time with no issues. ribs turned out amazing as usual. The only fat was under the skin.....

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 03:08:49 PM »
I forgot to say that i think it may have been dry because it was cut up when he deboned it.... this make sense?

What do you mean by "cut up?"  As for the bark, I think it looks great.  Also, was all of the meat dry?  The picnic is a bit leaner than then butt.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline USAF - AMMO

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »
it was butterflied, so it was not just a solid piece of meat. it was held together with the string. It was not super dry, just not near as juicy as a butt.

I meant to say homemade rub.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 05:11:23 PM »
Shoot, pull that sucker apart add so apple juice let rest for a few and your ready  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 10:29:40 AM »
If you have a vacuum sealer... I have found that freezing with liquid/sauce and reheating (slightly) dry pork will bring it back to life a bit.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline USAF - AMMO

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:07 PM »
Thats it huh, some apple juice to the rescure? how long do you let it set... For next time of course, jus tin case i get a dry roast again, not that i plan on it LOL

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »
Thats it huh, some apple juice to the rescure? how long do you let it set... For next time of course, jus tin case i get a dry roast again, not that i plan on it LOL
I pull my butts and add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup apple juice then after it's mix well vacuum seal it then into the freezer works very well

1... 10 lb cooked I add up to 3/4 of a cup of apple juice
if the butt is less than 10 lbs I add 1/2 then see how it looks before sealing it up
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 02:36:06 PM »
I pull my butts and add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup apple juice then after it's mix well vacuum seal it then into the freezer works very well

1... 10 lb cooked I add up to 3/4 of a cup of apple juice
if the butt is less than 10 lbs I add 1/2 then see how it looks before sealing it up

+1