Author Topic: BOSTON BUTT!!  (Read 2949 times)

Offline USAF - AMMO

BOSTON BUTT!!
« Reply #-1 on: May 16, 2013, 01:58:24 PM »
Since I feel so cheated from this weekend's shoulder experiment, I will be doing a boston butt this weekend. Back to the original issue, I can only get them about 2 - 4 pounds. Since I have yet to do one this big (or should i say small), how long would you all say it will take to get it to about 180, so i can FTC for an hour and then slice the juicy thang?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: BOSTON BUTT!!
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:29:49 PM »
Since I feel so cheated from this weekend's shoulder experiment, I will be doing a boston butt this weekend. Back to the original issue, I can only get them about 2 - 4 pounds. Since I have yet to do one this big (or should i say small), how long would you all say it will take to get it to about 180, so i can FTC for an hour and then slice the juicy thang?
You would slice it between 160 and 180.  If you foil then waited and hr you would have pulled pork by that time

If 2 to 4 lbs is the size your only looking at 3 hrs cooking time or even less to reach 180
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:37:54 PM »
Yeah, small ones can get done real quick (and I don't even want to say it because of your last experience) and go dry especially at slicing temps.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline USAF - AMMO

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »
If i want to slice it should i not FTC it? I thought FTC was a must to let it rest and keep it JUICY

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »
A full FTC is more (IMO) about holding at proper temp for an extended period.  You can rest for a shorter period without the whole process (tight foil for a half an hour will do fine for slicing).  Definitely should still rest a bit for slicing, but unless you need to hold it very long you shouldn't need to FTC.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »
I can't say I have ever seen a 2 lb butt. 6-8 is average in my town. Usually closer to 8

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »
There are several reasons to FTC...

Letting the meat slowly cool in foil gives time for the juices to retract back into the meat. As the meat cools this will happen. The juices will thicken as they cool down and stay in the meat. Even if not being sliced/pulled that day the FTC is still an important step before refrigeration IMHO.

And by cutting or pulling a hot piece of meat you are allowing juices to be released onto the cutting board and moisture into the air via steam. FTC gives the meat time to cool internally.

And of course it us useful for holding meat until ready to be served.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:47:10 PM by muebe »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline USAF - AMMO

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:37:26 AM »
Well here are the results of the tiny Boston Butt....

It came out...alright, not near as juicy as in the past. i noticed the cut had very little fat on it. the flavor was good, end the sections that did have fat was delish. I am going to try and order an 8 pounder with the bone in (what i am used to) and see if that works any better. we shall see what comes in!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 08:01:27 AM »
It looks very good.  Sometimes you can get a butt that will be drier than another.  Did you inject?  I always inject my butts.  Did you marinade?  Savannah Smoker has an excellent recipe for marinading pork.  I always take my butts to 200* as I prefer pulled pork but some folks love it sliced.  I don't think this was a problem caused by the cooking method as much as it was the particular hunk of meat.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 08:02:55 AM »
You sure that was a butt and not just the crack?  :D ???

Offline Pappymn

BOSTON BUTT!!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 09:43:21 AM »
I'd be interested in that marinade. Doing a butt this weekend
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline USAF - AMMO

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 12:54:08 AM »
I am very interested in the marinade, and how long do you usually marinade? Also what do you use to inject? I usually in=ject my turkeys, never really thought about injecting pork....

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 09:14:21 AM »
Here is Savannah Smoker's Special Pork Brine. It comes from Barry "CB'' Martin's excellent cookbook, "America Grills"

2  gallons water
2  cups dark brown sugar
2  cups coarse salt
1/4 cup ground ginger
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup ground cumin
4 large sprigs rosemary
1/2 cup black pepper, coarsely ground
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons Tabasco sauce
2 medium-size lemons chopped, squeezed, and smashed

Fill a large pot with the water.  Then add the remainder of the ingredients and stir.  Brine meat overnight or 24 hours.

As to the injection I use a Garlic Butter mixture from the Cajun Injector folks.  Hopefully, some folks here will come along and give you some of the homemade injection recipes.  If you want two excellent cookbooks dedicated to outdoor cooking, go to Amazon and order CB's "Everybody Grills" and "America Grills".  I've read that Mike's, aka bbqchef, book is excellent also.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline USAF - AMMO

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:36 AM »
Thanks Dee! I am looking forwardto trying to brince a butt.