Author Topic: I got a box yesterday  (Read 2342 times)

Offline MoHuka

I got a box yesterday
« Reply #-1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »
You may recall me asking the forum a couple weeks ago for some guidance on another cooker that would give good results for poultry.  As the responses came in it seemed that the SRG was winning out..I checked Amazon and they were $244...so I waited a few days until responses stopped coming in and it was definitely in favor of the SRG so back to Amazon and there it was for $168 and free shipping for a PRIME member.
The box arrived on my porch at 3:30pm and we were eating that Missouri Deer Loin at 6:30 having assembled, seasoned, loaded with some Pecan pellets and all...I love this thing

The Box

The Loin getting ready

The Loin finished

Its new home between the Bradley and the Genesis...BTW the Bradley is rolling smoke on the 2nd 10-lb batch of jerky from the same Missouri Whitetail
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: I got a box yesterday
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:07:27 PM »
Very nice!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

I got a box yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »
Nice. Like your grillin room
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
Nice. looks just like mine.
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »
Excellent smoking and grilling facilities

Thanks for posting; just a couple of days ago I found the same machine and put it on my wish list pending a bit more research on how it works.  I love the idea of fried turkey, but due to cardiovascular issues, my wife severely limits my fried food intake.  This machine sounds like it does quite a bit.

I love outdoor cooking

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »
That's Awesome Greg and happy birthday!! I think you will enjoy your SRG :)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:04:48 PM »
Nice score!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 08:07:52 PM »
Your gonna love that SRG!

Looks like it belongs out there ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 11:08:28 PM »
Good deal!  That is one cooker your going to wonder how you got along without it  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:29:45 AM »
just a couple of days ago I found the same machine and put it on my wish list pending a bit more research on how it works.  I love the idea of fried turkey, but due to cardiovascular issues, my wife severely limits my fried food intake.  This machine sounds like it does quite a bit.

I love outdoor cooking
PZ, two things to share here; The SRG is so much more than a turkey fryer, In fact, you'll find that to be a small part of it's many great cooking attributes. And, I too, have become a big Amazon fan over the past few years, and $168 is an awesome price. Amazon is doing some strange things lately price wise... lately, if you see something you want and they have a hot deal on it, you might want to pull the trigger quickly as the price seems to go back up within 24 hours (or less). I've missed a great deal on a Vacuum sealer and a few other things this past month while I was trying to decide. By the time I went back and looked at the Vac Sealer (1 day later) it had gone back up $30.00  :-\
Also, many people forget that Amazon WILL price protect prime members if the price goes down (I think it's 15 days), so I always keep checking the price after I have ordered something to see if the deal got even hotter.  I have found Amazon to be my 'go to' site for cooking equipment and accessories. I don't mean to sound like a high-pressure salesman, I'm just sharing an observation. One of the other great things I love about this forum is the 'heads up' we get from the members on hot deals, ranging from deals on steaks at Publix to a new toycooker at a home improvement store. Keep your propane tank full, we're all in this together.  8) ;) :D
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:41:49 AM »
Thanks BigDon.  I think I waited just a bit too long as the price is back up to $203 as of 15 minutes ago.  After what I have read on the forum, and your experience (and great photos), my mind was made up, but alas, only a short while too late.  Now I'll have to wait until I get a good price again.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 04:27:03 AM »
Boxes are ALWAYS good.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 07:43:49 AM »
Thanks BigDon.  I think I waited just a bit too long as the price is back up to $203 as of 15 minutes ago.  After what I have read on the forum, and your experience (and great photos), my mind was made up, but alas, only a short while too late.  Now I'll have to wait until I get a good price again.
$169.00 at the HOME DEPOT with free shipping. That's where I purchased mine.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 11:16:46 AM »
Here is a post I did about my Big Easy conversion to run on Natural Gas...

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=67.0

There is no factory kit to convert it and it will void your warranty but this will also work on the SRG. You would just need to drill out the orifice slightly larger due to the SRG burner is about 3,000 BTU's more than the Big Easy burner.

If you have a natural gas line available at your house then this mod is great because you don't need to worry about running out of gas or lugging a tank around town to get it exchanged or filled. Also natural gas is much cheaper than propane.

The downside is you will lose the portability aspect of the cooker. That is why I have a second one I use for camping and traveling ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
Dang, Keymaster, I wish I would have checked Home Depot online - I went to their local store and they had no idea what I was talking about.  However, I did manage to get the $169 deal with super saver free shipping at Amazon.

You got a fantastic deal CaptJack - I wonder why I'm such a sad sack never to find those when I need them!

muebe, I'd love to be able to tap into natural gas, but being out in the country, I'm on propane.  However, I only have a gas kitchen stove on it, and even the 400lp tank lasts me 3-4 years before refill - I'd like to tap into the line and run my outdoor BBQ appliances from it rather than the little propane tanks.  Is this something that a professional gas installer should do?  I'd hate to have a leak and blow up my house.