Author Topic: Camping Grub  (Read 11979 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Camping Grub
« Reply #-1 on: June 15, 2020, 07:45:35 PM »
I haven't posted in a little bit, life's been crazy!  I recently bought a vintage camper for Stephanie and we took our maiden trip with it to Elijah Clark State Park, about an hour and 45 minute drive, not too bad at all. We got there Saturday and came home today (Monday). One of the things Stephanie wanted to take was her little Cuisinart flat top and I have to say, she was a genius for thinking of that! We ate very well, she cooked some great meals on it for her and I and our son. My daughter was supposed to go but one of her cats had some health issues arrive at the last minute so she stayed behind to tend to that.

Some of y'all are Facebook friends of mine and this will be nothing new for you to see.

Just arrived with her "Glamper" and getting things set up for our stay

First night's dinner - Smash Burgers and Campfire Dogs

I was really impressed with the Hebrew Nationals cooked over the fire. Tasty indeed!

Breakfast Sunday Morning - Buttermilk Pancakes from scratch with sausage patties and real maple syrup

We were going to have brisket quesadillas for lunch but we forgot to bring the brisket, lol! Lesson learned - make a checklist when packing for your trip, we'll do better next time :) We ended going into town and grabbing some BBQ to go. I would've rather had our scheduled lunch but oh well.

Sunday's dinner - Marinated chicken breasts, red potatoes and onions, corn on the cob and garlic bread

Leaving out this morning, she had one more meal left in her on her trusty flat top :)

Monday morning breakfast - Eggs over medium, toast, grits and spicy Conecuh sausage (love that stuff!)

It was a successful first outing, great food and just sitting around relaxing. I mean I literally just sat in a chair and listened to the wind blowing through the trees, water slapping the shoreline. I did hook a TV up outside and watched it while drinking Redd's Apple Ale. It was nice to just feel the breeze and chill. I honestly could've stayed longer but we had to get back, I have work to do and my son had to get back as well. We plan on going again soon and will use this as a barometer for what works and what didn't.

One thing is for sure, Stephanie is an AWESOME cook. She's just AWESOME in general though. I love that woman to death :)

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Camping Grub
« on: June 15, 2020, 07:52:12 PM »
Now THAT'S camping, or should I say eating!!  It is nice to relax and unwind.  My wife wouldn't even consider camping, outside of a Holiday Inn Express!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 07:58:33 PM »
Now THAT'S camping, or should I say eating!!  It is nice to relax and unwind.  My wife wouldn't even consider camping, outside of a Holiday Inn Express!

Art

Art, I am not a "camping" type of camper. I like cabins but THIS was very enjoyable. It's been totally redone inside, hence the term "Glamper". It has a woman's touch, not manly in the slightest, lol. It's comfortable. It's little, but has what's needed. It has a full bathroom, with a shower. It has a sink, a stove that we will never use, lol. A nice fridge and freezer as well. It's got solar power, A/C and other nice touches. It was just what she was looking for. We could've gotten a bigger one but this was priced right. Maybe your wife would enjoy it if you got something similar? 

I didn't want a pop up style camper nor did I want to be bothered with a tent. So far, this seems like a nice way to go.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Walleyewacker

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 08:34:29 PM »
Mighty sweet grub for camping.

Offline Lines

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 08:41:55 PM »
Hey RG, the next trip you go on, I have a request. Take me along PLEASE, all of that food looks awesome. Most of my favorites.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 10:30:48 PM »
Dang. That entire menu looks killer. Got an extra spot for Pappy to sleep?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 11:12:16 PM »
Great looking food Stephanie!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 07:22:43 AM »

Fantastic looking eats 'm sure if you ere home you Would've eaten just as well  but there's something about open air cooking close to nature that makes it much more enjoyable.
Great cooks Steph!!!
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 10:43:03 AM »
Good looking eats.  Camping food always taste good.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Oneof11

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 10:49:33 AM »
Man that looks fun. I haven't camped in a long time. All the food looks great. What an awesome cooker. I am jealous!! Is that a possible fishing spot I see in the background?
Go Chiefs!!!!

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 04:16:23 PM »
Looks like a lit fun, RG, and definitely some Great Grub ! ! !

If I were doing it, though, it would have to be something more like this:

With room for my toy in the back:

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 04:58:03 PM »
Rg that looks as good as it gets. I love the camper. Do you have any inside pictures.  I could not think of a better weekend
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 06:50:18 PM »
Looks like a lit fun, RG, and definitely some Great Grub ! ! !

If I were doing it, though, it would have to be something more like this:

With room for my toy in the back:

BD

I would LOVE to have that setup. The issue is my bank account says NO! LOL

Offline RG

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 06:51:39 PM »
Man that looks fun. I haven't camped in a long time. All the food looks great. What an awesome cooker. I am jealous!! Is that a possible fishing spot I see in the background?

Indeed it is, it's a damn huge lake! Second biggest east of the Mississippi according to Stephanie. I took a pole, didn't even wet a hook, lol!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 09:00:48 PM by RG »

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 07:07:38 PM »
Rg that looks as good as it gets. I love the camper. Do you have any inside pictures.  I could not think of a better weekend

I have some inside pics, we have made the dinette area back into a twin bed but it's easily switched back for when it's just Stephanie and myself using it.

She's going to make some curtains for it and add a back splash, probably change the bed clothes and take down that tension rod with the white sheer thingamajigs. It's very female-centric but it's her thing. She can do with it as she pleases. It's basically her rolling she shed, lol