Author Topic: My OONI  (Read 5389 times)

Offline old sarge

My OONI
« Reply #-1 on: February 04, 2023, 11:28:11 PM »
The topic of homemade pizza in my house occurred once, maybe 20 odd years ago. I bought a Chef BoyRDee pizza kit. I ate it. Not too bad but never again.  Knowing how much I detest eating in restaurants and ordering take-out, my son gave me an Ooni Karu 12 for Christmas and his future wife gave me the gas burner attachment.  Remembering my fight with dough sticking to my fingers and hand, I figured my foray into pizza with the Ooni would be a shortcut using Papa Murphy's take and bake. Did a small personal pizza with a white sauce for my wife and it turned out really well.  I got their 12 inch with extra pepperoni. Now I did not have a peel; only a spatula and tongs. The personal size for my wife looked like a pizza when it left the oven (no pictures).  Mine, being larger, was a near disaster.  First problem was getting the raw pizza off the oven proof baking pan that comes with the pizza - super sticky.   Then getting it into the oven on the stone and periodically rotating it for the next minute or two till finished and then extracting it in one piece.   Sorry about no out of the oven photo but you can see the poor creature in the oven.  It was good and using the Ooni was a hoot. I plan on getting the proper tools and making my own dough for the future.  This oven is a keeper.  My son is a gem.  He even provided the beer:  Chimay!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 12:42:32 AM by old sarge »
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: My OONI
« on: February 05, 2023, 09:26:25 AM »
You are going to have lots of fun with your new OONI.

Great minds think alike, Wendy and I have started doing our own pizzas, so much better than take-out.

We have a Papa Murphys in a neighboring town and we grab one whenever we drive by.

Have fun Sarge!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Lines

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 11:27:31 AM »
Nice oven old sarge. My wife has been wanting one of those for awhile now. Thanks for reviewing yours. We may look into one now.

Offline old sarge

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 07:50:45 PM »
It is nice.  I have not used it with wood yet.  Going to wait till the weather warms up. With the gas, I had the flame cranked up to the point that it was periodically leaving the oven.  I turned it down.  Also, I was concerned about how sooty the smoke was, sort of like having the wick on an oil lamp adjusted too high.  According to OONI, flame was too big and I did not use the chimney.  I sent photos of the instructions (for the stove and the one that came with the gas attachment).  The instructions conflicted with each other.  The chimney is used at all times. As I said, there was a conflict with the two sets of instructions.  Also, the soot never settled on the pizza.  The 12 may is small compared to the larger 16 inch.  But as fast as you can cook a pizza, average 2 minutes, the 12 is great.  Just keep making and cooking.  And the 12 is about 1/2 the price of the larger Karu. Ooni also has a forum and all the questions I sent to Ooni seem to come from forum members, not Ooni corporate.  Pretty sweet.  Looking forward to warmer weather and lots of pizza.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline Lines

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 09:10:15 PM »
Awesome! Thanks again for the information.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 10:06:24 PM »
looks great...enjoy
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 08:39:40 AM »
Congrats on the oven...I have the original Unni form about 2010-11. At the Gathering in Augusta Ga. Brad made pizza dough and we practiced making pizzas. They were fabulous. We made bunches of them.
I have a really good pizza dough recipe that can be made in a bread machine...20 minutes or in a food processor or mixer I will share if you would like. Just send me a message.
I see that you need a pizza peel. I got one from Amazon or ebay, eBay is cheaper... pic enclose. It is about 2 ft long with a wooden handle and a metal peel.  Fits perfectly in a Uuni or Ooni. Just throw some cornmeal on it and put pizza and iti will not stick. Then just slide it into the unit and lift a little and pull back...Pizza in the oven.  Once the crust gets hot, just a few seconds, then put peel back in and twirl, you will get the hang of it.
Pizza dough recipe is great. I make bunches of it. it's better if it is used overnight but can be used immediately. I make pizza on the grill...15 the last time i made them on the grill. I made the dough and everyone made their own pizzas.
Last pic is a garbage pizza, everything but the sink. It took me 4 weekends to learn how to do it on the grill, but they are better than any store bought or made.
Email me for the recipe if your interested.
Pam
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 12:47:51 PM »
Congrats on the oven...I have the original Unni form about 2010-11. At the Gathering in Augusta Ga. Brad made pizza dough and we practiced making pizzas. They were fabulous. We made bunches of them.
I have a really good pizza dough recipe that can be made in a bread machine...20 minutes or in a food processor or mixer I will share if you would like. Just send me a message.
I see that you need a pizza peel. I got one from Amazon or ebay, eBay is cheaper... pic enclose. It is about 2 ft long with a wooden handle and a metal peel.  Fits perfectly in a Uuni or Ooni. Just throw some cornmeal on it and put pizza and iti will not stick. Then just slide it into the unit and lift a little and pull back...Pizza in the oven.  Once the crust gets hot, just a few seconds, then put peel back in and twirl, you will get the hang of it.
Pizza dough recipe is great. I make bunches of it. it's better if it is used overnight but can be used immediately. I make pizza on the grill...15 the last time i made them on the grill. I made the dough and everyone made their own pizzas.
Last pic is a garbage pizza, everything but the sink. It took me 4 weekends to learn how to do it on the grill, but they are better than any store bought or made.
Email me for the recipe if your interested.
Pam

That Pizza looks amazing Pam
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 04:18:01 PM »
I remember that August trip. We had pizza coming out of our ears.  ;D But it was so delicious! Pam I sent you an email. I am just getting into doing pizza on my grill. I bought the GMG Pizza insert for my Recteq. It works great! First ones we made were with a store bought pizza dough. It was okay, but nothing to write home about. We are looking for a great dough recipe.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline old sarge

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 08:16:42 PM »
Thanks Pam.  Your garbage pizza looks terrific. Thanks for the tip on the peel.  Will look into it.  Your offer of the dough recipe will be accepted.  Quick question:  Can the dough be made in batches then frozen for later use? I am a real rookie at this. Thanks again.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 11:33:55 AM »
Thanks Pam.  Your garbage pizza looks terrific. Thanks for the tip on the peel.  Will look into it.  Your offer of the dough recipe will be accepted.  Quick question:  Can the dough be made in batches then frozen for later use? I am a real rookie at this. Thanks again.
YES. It can sit in frig for a few days also, it will ferment, but that's fine, extra taste. It's so fast to make don't know why you would freeze it.  Enjoy.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 04:12:28 PM »
One of my neighbors has a 16 inch gas only. He loves it, but was telling me about the learning curve. He uses a laser temp, and said that 900 degrees was way too hot, and everything burned. He turned it down to 550 degrees, and said even though the cooking time was now 4 minutes, it was much more controllable and the taste was better.

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 06:47:59 PM »
He uses a laser temp, and said that 900 degrees was way too hot, and everything burned. He turned it down to 550 degrees, and said even though the cooking time was now 4 minutes, it was much more controllable and the taste was better.

I confess that I've never made my own pizza crust dough but I've read time and again to always bake pre-made crusts at the temperature the maker recommends because the water content affects the rate it cooks at.  I think I can resurrect detail information on this subject if anyone is interested.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2023, 09:47:31 AM »
One of my neighbors has a 16 inch gas only. He loves it, but was telling me about the learning curve. He uses a laser temp, and said that 900 degrees was way too hot, and everything burned. He turned it down to 550 degrees, and said even though the cooking time was now 4 minutes, it was much more controllable and the taste was better.

I found that using a 14" cast iron pizza pan works well if you have something under it, like another pan or cookie sheet, turned upside down as an insulator in case it get too hot. I have also used the ceramic pizza pans or stones.  Preheat well and go for it. I cook them in the oven at 450º also. Can you tell we  like pizzas?
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 09:57:58 AM »
Congrats! We love ours and the I use the gas in the winter time because I was burning through wood trying to keep it hot.  My sweet spot is 750-800 for temp, and less is more for toppings.  When you do do the wood, I make a hot bed of lump charcoal to get it started then add wood throughout the cook.  I usually add a bunch of wood right when I am about to make the pizza that way the big flames die down a bit and doesn't burn the pizza.  Quick learning curve but once you get a good rhythm it's easy to work.  I never use the chimney with gas, and I don't think you should either, as the gas only models don't have a chimney, just can't use the front door with no chimney.

Dough is a back and forth for me.  I mix mine 2 days in advance, let it sit out for an hour or 2 after mixing in a mixer, then fridge until I go to bed the night before I plan on making the pizza.  The morning of pizza day I ball up the dough first thing in the morning.  270g-290g is the target for the ball size.  Flour, water, yeast, salt is all I use, maybe some sourdough starter if its ready.  https://www.stadlermade.com/pizza-calculator/ is what I use for my dough calculator, neapolitan.

Enjoy!

Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759