Author Topic: First cook on my PCB  (Read 9484 times)

Offline Eplfan2011

First cook on my PCB
« Reply #-1 on: April 03, 2022, 07:57:41 PM »
Well my new PBC arrived Friday and I was impressed with he packaging, no dings or dents and everything present and accounted for including the two packs of rub.
 Defrosted a 8lb pork butt and prepared it for the pit, filled the charcoal basket and removed the recommended number of briquettes to the chimney and lit them. they were added into the barrel and meat hung and the lid placed on.
 lots of smoke as expected but the temp quickly rose to the 390s. i gave it some time as I've read they settle down after a while but soon realized it wasn't going to, i closed the intake vent down and then when the temp didn't decrease i put some foil over a couple of the rod ends.
 it was then i noticed smoke coming from around the lid and if i was to push on it, it rocked a Little and I'm assuming its a little warped. i babied the cook along and wrapped early and managed to save the cook ( Actually it turned out pretty good moist and tasty)
 Unfortunately i bought it from a third party vendor and the PCB site states only barrels from there will be warrantied so I'm going to see if a bead of high temp gasket will do the trick. I really hope it does cause beside the problems i enjoyed cooking on it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 08:12:52 PM by Eplfan2011 »
PBC classic
GMG Danial Boone
GMG Davy Crockett
Pit Boss V3
Jenn Air Gasser
Blackstone Flat Top

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: First cook on my PCB
« on: April 06, 2022, 05:59:01 AM »
The bottom vent does little to control the temps.  I've used wine corks in the rod holes to some success.  Hopefully the more you use the PBC you'll get a nice smoked seal instead of add the bead of hi temp caulk.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Eplfan2011

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 01:22:31 PM »
Thanks, several others have told me to just cook on it and it will seal itself, so that's what I'll do!
PBC classic
GMG Danial Boone
GMG Davy Crockett
Pit Boss V3
Jenn Air Gasser
Blackstone Flat Top

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 08:17:42 AM »
Go Spurs!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red