Author Topic: Pork chops  (Read 3111 times)

Offline ollie6a

Pork chops
« Reply #-1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:32:36 AM »
 I don't recall seeing any posts on pork chops so here goes at what I did. I have always done chops on a gas grill, high heat turn often, but yesterday I said why not in my Pit Barrel. I filled the basket 3/4 full and use the fluid method to start the charcoal. I have used both methods and find the fluid to work best for me. The secret for me is to let it burn a good 20 minutes or until you see some red glow in the coals and white smoke.
 Anyway back to the chops. They were 1/2 to 3/4 in thick and we seasoned them with Vegeta,a seasoning from Croatia, and a little home made rub. I first thought about putting them on the grate, but decided to hang them which I did and then went in the house where it was warm. I use a remote thermometer for all cooks and when they reached 150*, which took about 20 min I removed them. The average barrel temp was about 375*.
 Well The final result is the family said they were the best pork chops they ever had and I must concur and so from now on all chops will be done on my Pit Barrel Cooker.
   Sorry, forgot to take pictures.
Ollie

Ollie

Offline Bacala

Re: Pork chops
« on: December 26, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »
Sounds very tasty. I'd been wondering how chops would work in the PBC and after reading this I will cook some this weekend. Works out well since other than ribs and ham, my family doesn't like pork, and they are heading out for several days leaving me home alone to eat all the things they won't. I was already planning a chicken cook to restock our freezer, so I'll do the chops on the same fire.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
Ollie
That sounds like a fine meal! The PBC is a great cooking tool - and you have broadened it's horizons for me wight eh idea of pork chops.

And...I think you get my vote for the most original avatar..... :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 04:11:36 PM »
Greetings from Las Vegas and welcome to LTBBQ.

Sounds great, would like to see some pictures.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 08:31:49 PM »
I have never seen Unicorn chops done on the PBC or any other cooker now that I come to think of it  ;) ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32