Author Topic: Pit Barrel Question  (Read 8156 times)

Offline Jtone

Pit Barrel Question
« Reply #-1 on: December 14, 2020, 03:23:02 PM »
I am having an issue with my Pit Barrel running way too hot. I was using Kingsford original briquettes but the grill was running as high as 575 it was too hot to cook on. I am at sea level and have the vent adjusted to a quarter or maybe less. I changed to lump charcoal and it ran cooler (450) but the coals only lasted 4 hours.

I really can’t think of anything that I might be doing wrong and I’m very disappointed with this cooker but maybe I’m missing something. I am starting the coals as directed by Pit barrel

Anybody out there have an idea of what I might be doing wrong. All my friends are trying to steer me towards a pellet cooker and I don’t want to do that

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Pit Barrel Question
« on: December 15, 2020, 03:03:07 AM »
Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is making sure there is a good seal with the lid.  A lot of members here crack the lid at the end of cooking chicken to crisp up the skin.  I have noticed with mine that there are times where I need to really press down on the lid to make sure there is a good seal.

If that isn't the issue, I would call Pit Barrel, although I never had any issues, they are always available and willing to help.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Jtone

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 06:10:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I did order some gasket material for the lid because there was some smoke coming out of it. I also called Pit Barrel and discussed it with them. Went through everything I did and I seem to be doing everything right. They did say they are having some complaints about Kingston lately so that may be the issue. I am going to experiment and somehow fix this issue but it really shouldn’t have to do with a brand new unit

Offline Bacala

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
With the four rebar holes directly under the lid, I don't think you should ever see smoke leaking around the rim. I've never had that happen in more than six years of regular use. Check the lid and top roll very carefully for defects or warpage that might be letting air get through.

Offline Jtone

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 02:19:25 PM »
I found my answer. I just had a test cook with magnets covering the openings and vent as closed as it can be and the smoke was pouring out of the top of the lid. Pit Barrel Junior went up to about 350 and held a pretty good starting to come back down now. The cover is not rattling at all and I thought it was a pretty good fit but evidently not. Shouldn’t have to do these types of adjustments with anything. Might be time to start thinking about taking the manufacturing back from China and charging more if necessary.

Offline Lines

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 03:16:03 PM »
I found my answer. I just had a test cook with magnets covering the openings and vent as closed as it can be and the smoke was pouring out of the top of the lid. Pit Barrel Junior went up to about 350 and held a pretty good starting to come back down now. The cover is not rattling at all and I thought it was a pretty good fit but evidently not. Shouldn’t have to do these types of adjustments with anything. Might be time to start thinking about taking the manufacturing back from China and charging more if necessary.
Agreed!