Author Topic: The Big Easy converted to Natural Gas  (Read 19629 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
The Big Easy converted to Natural Gas
« Reply #-1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:18:31 PM »
I have Char-Broil's The Big Easy and there are some Bradley members who also have one. My TBE is converted to run on natural gas. There is no conversion kit and this is a custom modification. I had posted this on the Sizzle forum a while ago but wanted to share with the Bradley forum members in case they wanted to do this. So I took some pictures and will explain the process to do the conversion. But first a couple of disclaimers.

*This will void your warranty from char-broil
*Modifications to a gas appliance can be dangerous if done improperly so do it at your own risk
*This will make your Big Easy less portable so if you take it somewhere there better be a natural gas quick-connect tee wherever you are going.
*Char-broil nor this site or it's owners will be responsible for any damages or loss of life due to these modifications

This is a picture what you will need to remove to convert the Big Easy. This is the burner valve assembly removed(housing of the burner knob and igniter knob). There are four sheet metal screws that attach the housing to the Big Easy. The peizo igniter wire will also need to be disconnected.

The Big Easy comes with a orfice size of #56 and is 16,990 BTUs on LP gas(rated at 16,000 by Char-Broil) and you will need a size #52 orfice drill and that will put you at 17,450 BTUs at 8 inches W.C. natural gas houseline pressure. Now be aware that natural gas houseline pressure can be from 7 inches W.C. to 9 inches W.C. and so if you house has 7 inches W.C. that will put you at 16,300 BTUs and 9 inches W.C. will put you at 18,400 BTUs. If you wish to have your gas houseline pressure adjusted/checked that it is around 8 inches W.C. give your local gas utility a call. The adjustments if necessary will be made on the gas regulator that is owned by the utility. The pressure is tested with a special gauge called a manometer and the house pressure is 1/3 of a pound so a standard pressure gauge will not work.

The picture on the left is of the gas valve and at the tip is the orfice. The picture on the right is of the orfice removed. You will need to use a 7mm socket or wrench to remove the orfice. You may want to secure the burner valve into a vice if the orfice is difficult for you to remove. Turn it left to loosen and remove the orfice.

Now place the orfice into a vice and secure it snug. Do not overtighten the vice because the orfice is brass and can be damaged easily. Then use the orfice drill bit with drill handle and slowly turn the drill by hand into the orfice hole as level as possible. Take your time because the bit is very small and fragile. Once the hole has been drilled to proper size verify that it is correct by using the smooth end of the drill into the hole. Should slide into the hole all the way through and tightly. Make sure the hole you drilled is straight because this can effect the pressure into the burner venturri. Sorry I did not get a picture of the drill or the orfice being drilled. And then re-install the orfice. You can apply a very slight amount of thread sealent to the orfice threads but do not use any PTFE tape.

You will then need to remove the LP regulator from the gas line. Right picture is the valve removed. This connection will be very tight and use a vice to hold the regulator in place while loosening the connector nut.

You will need to get a natural gas bbq quick connect hose and some additional fittings to adapt the two hoses together. The fittings are shown in the close up picture. All the parts can be obtained from Lowe's or Home Depot(except the orfice drill)

And finally a gas line to connect to. This is my gas "Tree" and I can connect several gas appliances at one time. I even have a propane radiant heater that I converted to natural gas for those cold nights of outdoor cooking. The quick connect coupling that attaches to the houseline will come with the bbq natural gas connection hose. The coupling does auto close when disconnected but a gas shut off valve should also be installed on the gas houseline.

Well that about does it. If you have any questions let me know. Be careful and make sure you soap all the fittings for any gas leaks ;D
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: The Big Easy converted to Natural Gas
« on: December 02, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »
Good info Muebe, wish I had gas at the house.    This would save me $$$$$$ if I did 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Thermo22

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:55:23 PM »
Excited to find this thread and it made up my mind to go buy a Big Easy.  Except sometime in the 7 years later, evidently, CharBroil changed the design of the hose couplings and the unit is not convertible.  I bought model 17102065 at Lowes.  The entire hose assembly is one molded piece - there is no way to couple a natural gas hookup to the valve because there are no threaded pieces.  Not sure if this was a way for CharBroil to save cost, or some liability attorney thought non-modifiable hose couplings would be a good idea.  The nut looking assembly where the hose mates with the valve looks like it might be threaded, but on closer inspection shows it may have been pressed fit and sealed with some sort of glue.  I tried to turn it in a vise, but was afraid to put much force for fear it would snap.  Another consequence of this design is that if the hose ever gets damaged, you are hosed (pun intended).  See pics.

Offline Thermo22

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:56:56 PM »
Regulator End of molded assembly

Offline wlynch4

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 03:32:00 PM »
I used this post to convert my Big Easy (Model 14101480) and it worked like a charm.  As stated you will need a couple of fittings to adapt your natural gas supply hose.  A flare coupling (3/8 in FL x 3/8 in FIP) to go into the gas supply hose and a hex bushing (3/8 in MIP x 1/8 in FIP) to go into the Big Easy gas valve.  These fitting I bought at Home Depot for $10 and the natural gas supply hose from Amazon for $20.  The #52 drill bit was also from Amazon for $2.50.  I did not use the propane hose that came with the Big Easy because it was too difficult to get the fittings off.  I attached a photo of the nice blue flame after the conversion.  Thanks again for the post!!!