Author Topic: Lid question  (Read 1375 times)

Offline dms269

Lid question
« Reply #-1 on: July 13, 2014, 12:51:04 AM »
Apparently I am a bit violent when I open the lid, as some of the screws and nuts have came loose. And by come loose I mean came undone and fallen to their death either inside the unit or outside in the grass, never to be found again.

So right now the lid is on by two screws (one in each of the hinges).

I can take a nut and a screw to the hardware store and ask for a new one. Is there any materials I might want to avoid?

For the washer, that is a different scenario. The ones that came with it don't seem to be that high of quality. I have noticed they have started to crumble. Would a plain metal one work or does it need to be made of something special?

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Lid question
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:21:21 AM »
In my non expert opinion I like stainless steel.Dont rust out,can stand up to battery acid.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 09:24:21 AM »
Stainless is your best option. It is not an absolute guarantee that they will not rust tho - because unless you can find 316 grade stainless - the lower grades of stainless are normally used for "hardware store" stainless nuts, bolts and screws. As well - be sure to use lock washer to prevent loosening. The effects of the heating/cooling on metals ( fasteners in particular) is something we all often overlook the importance of.....until we have to fix something.... ;) ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:40:25 AM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
Stainless is your best option. It is not an absolute guarantee that they will not rust tho - because unless you can find 316 grade stainless - the lower grades of stainless are normally used for "hardware store" stainless nuts, bolts and screws. As well - be sure to use lock washer to prevent loosening. The effects of the heating/cooling on metals ( fasteners in particular) is something we all often overlook the importance of.....until we have to fix something.... ;) ;D

Well put, couldn't have said it any better.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »
Tim,you really know fasteners,are you in that business?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »
A marine supply store should have good stainless. If you live away from the coast there are several on line.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 10:58:25 PM »
Your not alone this happens to a lot of SRG and BEESR's.  I found the use of lock washers on both sides does the trick.

I am not using stainless bolts or nuts at this time
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION