Author Topic: Big Easy Electric SR - questions from a new user  (Read 1142 times)

Offline tintucan

Big Easy Electric SR - questions from a new user
« Reply #-1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
I just got my Big Easy Electric SR and used it for the first time this weekend.  I need a bit of helpful advice in using it.  I have no experience with the Big Easy and will not claim all that much experience in either cooking or grilling.

I noticed on another post that someone indicated that you need to allow the BEESR to warm up.  The instruction book said no preheating was necessary unless using wood chips or pellets for smoking.  Is it better to do some preheating?

The first things I did were some chicken wings & three thighs & legs.  It took a lot longer than I anticipated in cooking.  I think I had the power level set at either 11 or 12.  I used three levels of surface and the chicken was a bit crowded to fit everything in.  I had the thighs on the lowest level.  After about 1 1/2 hour I was able to take up some on the wings pieces on the top level and then spread out the top and middle level a bit.  I took up the rest of the wings over the next 30 minutes because we were starving.  It was a total of three hours before the thighs were done.

I was basing the power level on the temp. that I cooked wings in the oven which only took just over an hour.  Did I have too much in the BEESR and too close together?

The next day I did a pork roast at power level 13 and it only took about 1 1/2 hour but it was the only thing in the BEESR.  I used the thermometer thing this time though I'm not confident in it's accuracy.  When the targeted temperature was reached and I took the roast out I rechecked the temp. with a regular meat thermometer.  I didn't get the same reading as the BEESR thermometer so I put the roast back in and maybe I shouldn't have done that.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.  Especially in determining what power level to use for different meats.  I'd like to get the kinks worked out so I can do a turkey during the holidays.  Thanks.  I have a lot more questions but I'll try to spread them out more next time.
Granny:  "I don't own the house in town anymore do I?
Me:  "No ma'am."
Granny:  "I guess I should sell it."
Me:  "I guess so.  Let me know how that works out."

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Big Easy Electric SR - questions from a new user
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:36:14 PM »
Hi Tin, I would start on a High - 15 and I always preheat a lil bit before I throw in the meat or add smoke. I use a Thermapen (pricey but worth it) for accuracy, don't trust the BEESR thermometer. CB sux at thermometers. I rotate meat after checking it for about 45 - 50 minutes. taking the done off and moving the rest up. I also use a Tommy ring, a springform pan under the rack to lift up off the dead zone on the bottom. but start on high then turn the temp down according to how you want your finished product to look. Get it the color you want then lower temp. Hope this helps some. Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »
Although I do not have a BEESR I do have a comment before our resident BEESR expert TMB responds.

If you are using an extension cord make sure it is large gauge and rated for the electrical demand of the BEESR. Using an undersized cord will cause lower temps and the cord will get hot. Might catch fire.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tintucan

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »
Thanks Pam for all the tips.  I can use every single one of them and more.  I'll definitely look into the Thermapen.  I'm always worried about under-cooked meat.  I would have never thought of using a spring form ring.

Thanks muebe.  My dad had that concern too.  So he put in an electrical plug for me to use where I have the BEESR.  (He's a retired electrician.)

Looking forward to more tips and advice.
Granny:  "I don't own the house in town anymore do I?
Me:  "No ma'am."
Granny:  "I guess I should sell it."
Me:  "I guess so.  Let me know how that works out."