Author Topic: Bacon wrapped jalapeños  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Butchtx

Bacon wrapped jalapeños
« Reply #-1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:59:43 AM »
Thinking about doing some bacon wrapped jalapeños or atomic buffalo turds on my SRG this weekend. My question is, would it be better to put them on the grill grate or put them down in the basket?

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Bacon wrapped jalapeños
« on: February 12, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
I don't have an SRG but I do have a BEESR and I've had great results with ABT's done in the basket.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »
Use the basket not the grate...   Reason is this, in the chamber you will cook 360 degrees around the peppers on the grate you will not.

On the grate easier to burn in the chamber not as easy.  If you have a pepper holder and it will fit in the basket use it, this way the peppers will stand strait but they can be laid on their sides either way it works great
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline MrCheck

• Plain English Cooking
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:23:49 AM »
I've only tried ABTs once and that was on my regular gas grill with grill grates.  Tasty around the char, but a minor catastrophe otherwise.  ;D  It's taken me a while to get used to the extra heat those things add.

I'm quite interested in the idea of trying them in the BEESR though.  What's a good setting and for how long? 
Master Forge 5 Burner Gas Grill
Big Easy Electric Smoker & Roaster
<a href="http://plainenglishcooking.com">PlainEnglishCooking.com</a>

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:51:52 AM »
I've only tried ABTs once and that was on my regular gas grill with grill grates.  Tasty around the char, but a minor catastrophe otherwise.  ;D  It's taken me a while to get used to the extra heat those things add.

I'm quite interested in the idea of trying them in the BEESR though.  What's a good setting and for how long?
I roast them on low #10 til they start to brown (I use thick cut bacon) then set it to 15 til nice and crunchy  (BEESR)

As for the SRG, I set to med-high and cook the entire time till done
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Butchtx

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:38:17 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone, can't wait to try them.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone, can't wait to try them.
Let us know how it does
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 12:48:57 PM »

I roast them on low #10 til they start to brown (I use thick cut bacon) then set it to 15 til nice and crunchy  (BEESR)

Tommy's advice is spot on, also keep in mind that if you're doing ABT'S on two levels in the basket, the lower level is going to cook much slower than the ones on the upper levels.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »

Tommy's advice is spot on, also keep in mind that if you're doing ABT'S on two levels in the basket, the lower level is going to cook much slower than the ones on the upper levels.

Got so use to people knowing this I forget to tell the newer users   ;)   Thanks
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker