Author Topic: next up...fish. Could use some input  (Read 1486 times)

Offline tenorGJ

next up...fish. Could use some input
« Reply #-1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »
Thanks to all who've chimed in thus far. My rib-fest last weekend was a hit. My next plan is to throw some fish onto the grill of the SRG.

Anyone have any advice? My plan is to grill a firm flesh fish, such as halibut or salmon on an oiled grate. I was contemplating a temp setting in the middle, top down, for roughly ten minutes per inch (prob five minutes I side, I reckon).  I'll keep the smoke to a minimum, if at all, so as to not over power the flavor.

This forum seems to be all abort the pork, but anyone have an sure-fire approaches to fish?

TIA...

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: next up...fish. Could use some input
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:25:22 AM »
Oil he fish not the grate, oil will jus burn off the grate.  Next, how do you like it burnt like my better half?  Or cooked just so with flavor?  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 09:58:47 AM »
Although I don't have an SRG yet, I have done salmon on a cedar plank many times on other grills I have and it's always a hit at my house.  And like Tommy said, oil the fish not the grates.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline tenorGJ

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:13:37 AM »
Thanks, guys. I'll oil the fish and not the grate. As for doneness, I'm a medium rare kind of guy.... ;D

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:55:21 AM »
Thanks, guys. I'll oil the fish and not the grate. As for doneness, I'm a medium rare kind of guy.... ;D
Good, I am also but Kimmie loves burnt food ???  Even tofu she likes burnt  ??? ??? ???

Now if you want a slight crust, use butter to hold seasoning on
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »
 Salmon can be done skin down. it will stick at first but by time time its done it should come up easily. Especially if you oil the skin first. the white oils will start appearing on top of the flesh. At this point your about done. With all fish that I know of  the meat will separate with a fork all the way down once its done.
 Salmon is great this way. Be careful not to over cook it though because it will dry out. You really want it at just done.
 We have flounder here which is basically a small version of a Halibut I think. Looks the same anyway. You can follow the same guidelines with it.
If the fish doesn't have skin you can still cook it right on the grate but practice REALLY helps.  Not moving it until it forms a nice crust on the grate will help it hold together.
 Many times when cooking fresh caught fish like flounder, red fish, specks, red snapper or grouper I don't remove the scales, I just put the scales down and they seems to add a little flavor and a nice cooking surface. Or , I just gut out the fish then cook it whole. It can even be injected this way.
 Did you look through the seafood section? Should be other ideas there as well.

When I went back to look for pics I remembered that I sometimes put the salmon or other on foil. The skin will stick to the foil and you can just pick a size of flesh and push it right off onto a plate. This is a great way to start off if your nervous about directly placing it on the grid.
 Hope this is some help...

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tenorGJ

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 01:54:42 PM »
Great post and great pics, too!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 02:21:53 PM »
Terry is he go o guy for fish and scrimp  ;) ;) ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker