Author Topic: SRG Spatula?  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Buck Run BBQ

SRG Spatula?
« Reply #-1 on: March 16, 2015, 10:42:09 AM »
Hello, everyone - new to the forum today and trying to get my head full of knowledge regarding the SRG.
I have one being delivered this weekend and want to try and have an idea of what's what and all that...

I searched here to see if there was a slotted or notched spatula which would work with the SRG, but did not find any hits.
In my mind, I'm thinking of something along the lines of the GrillGrates spatula (maybe that one would fit the SRG grooves?)

Any direction you can provide is greatly appreciated!!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: SRG Spatula?
« on: March 16, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »
Hello, everyone - new to the forum today and trying to get my head full of knowledge regarding the SRG.
I have one being delivered this weekend and want to try and have an idea of what's what and all that...

I searched here to see if there was a slotted or notched spatula which would work with the SRG, but did not find any hits.
In my mind, I'm thinking of something along the lines of the GrillGrates spatula (maybe that one would fit the SRG grooves?)

Any direction you can provide is greatly appreciated!!
Hi and welcome to the forum!   There is no spatula made for the SRG as of now but if you oil the meat and let it sear then it should just lift right off.   If you oil the grate the oil will just burn off so oiling the meat before grilling is very important
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:33:07 PM »
Welcome from SE Georgia!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »
I've tried the Grill Grates spatula - didn't work for me on the SRG. But Tommy is correct - oil the meat and let it release naturally. Most of the time it sticks because we try to lift it too soon.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:00:11 PM »
Welcome from Nebraska.

Those two guys are right.  Lightly oil the meat and wait until a flat spatula easily lifts it off of the hot grates.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Buck Run BBQ

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 03:51:47 PM »
Thank you all very much!  I think burgers are the only thing that will concern me, but I'll leave on for a good sear before flipping.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »
Thank you all very much!  I think burgers are the only thing that will concern me, but I'll leave on for a good sear before flipping.
Burgers are fickle but you will be ok.  Just give the meat time, rush and  you tear the burger up  ???  So use your spatula and start to lift the meat it will release when ready 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 02:00:13 PM »
I stick my burgers in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes before I throw them on the SRG, seems to slow the cooking down just enough to keep them from tearing up when it's finally time to flip them.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 02:31:25 PM »
I stick my burgers in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes before I throw them on the SRG, seems to slow the cooking down just enough to keep them from tearing up when it's finally time to flip them.

Good tip!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #