Author Topic: Pork Butt SRG Question for TMB  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Saber 4

Pork Butt SRG Question for TMB
« Reply #-1 on: April 06, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »
Tommy, I've got a hankering for some good pulled pork and all I have available is the trusty stock model SRG. What's your most current method of doing butts on the SRG these days? You being the Jedi Warrior of the SRG.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Pork Butt SRG Question for TMB
« on: April 07, 2015, 08:33:46 AM »
Well, here is how I do a butt and or butts in the SRG.

I preheat the SRG on HIGH setting with pellets around the Tommy Ring for 15 mins to get the smoke rolling. 

Then I trim the fat cap down a little then score it like a ham the rub with mustard then my rub (low sugar rub) then I place it in basket after I spray the basket with Pam cooking spray. Set your half racks to the middle if your only doing one butt.. Place the basket into the chamber (setting still on HIGH) let it run for about 15 more mins to start a good bark then turn to low and let it ride the INFRARED highway  ;)

Depends on the size of the butt, but they will go 4 to 6 hrs with a average 30 to 45 min stall.  Start looking at IT      around the 3 hr mark and pull at 205 (trust me it's better at 205 then 200)  :D   FTC for an hr or so then your ready to eat

Call me if you have questions, you have my digits  ;) 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 11:02:26 PM »
Thanks Tommy, I have everything i need for that with me so I can try it this weekend and enjoy it for lunch next week. If i do two does it change the time any and do I need to switch them at any time or are they good to leave on the same rack the whole time. I only have one probe thermometer and my thermapen to check final temps.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 08:38:50 AM »
Thanks Tommy, I have everything i need for that with me so I can try it this weekend and enjoy it for lunch next week. If i do two does it change the time any and do I need to switch them at any time or are they good to leave on the same rack the whole time. I only have one probe thermometer and my thermapen to check final temps.
If your cooking two at on time lower the half rack enough to place the first but in the basket but not enough to touch the lower butt.  The top but will finish first, so measure the IT in the top butt then move the probe to the lower butt when the top one hits it's IT of 205 (I prefer 205 over 195 to 200)  The lower butt will take another 20 to 30 mins to finish so keep an eye on it.

Don't forget to FTC for at least one hr after you pull them :)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 11:00:53 PM »
Thanks Tommy, I'll let you know how it turns out when I do it.