Author Topic: Improve Smoke -  (Read 3531 times)

Offline mdnuts

Improve Smoke -
« Reply #-1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:47:32 AM »
Recently I had gotten some pellets and put in a tommy ring and happily shoved a bunch of pellets around the ring right up to the top of it.  Kicked it on high, let the smoke start - smokin and confidently shoved in the Turkey.

And the smoke went out.

I had read about the air jets and cutting a 4 inch hole at the top which I can probably get away with air jets but my wife has given me the evil eye when I casually mentioned cutting a hole in it.  What else can I do?  I get I probably stacked the pellets to high and it's all about airflow - is there anything else I can try like mounds of pellets with spacing something else - would the air jets alone be enough?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Improve Smoke -
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
Recently I had gotten some pellets and put in a tommy ring and happily shoved a bunch of pellets around the ring right up to the top of it.  Kicked it on high, let the smoke start - smokin and confidently shoved in the Turkey.

And the smoke went out.

I had read about the air jets and cutting a 4 inch hole at the top which I can probably get away with air jets but my wife has given me the evil eye when I casually mentioned cutting a hole in it.  What else can I do?  I get I probably stacked the pellets to high and it's all about airflow - is there anything else I can try like mounds of pellets with spacing something else - would the air jets alone be enough?
Yes, there is a few things you can do to help the smoke roll.   I have tried lots of ways and found mods to be the best for me BUT with a little effort you can get some good smoke without cutting the unit up

1.  With the Tommy Ring installed make sure the pellets start there run at the 5 O'clock position.  This is where the hottest spot in the chamber will be and the pellets will start the fastest and stay lit.

2.  If having a hard time pre-warm the pellets by turning the unit on and let it run for 5 to 10 mins then turn it off. let them sit a few before relighting for the cook.  This does work because dry pellets burn so much better then ones with moister in them.  Remember this is not a pellet pooper so you don't have the air flow of a fan to keep them going.

3.  Drill holes in your Tommy Ring. Air flow is everything and a solid ring wil have no air flow other than the top because it's open.
The Smoking Tommy Ring I made with Todd @ A-MAZE-N smokers is perforated all the way around just like the smoker tubes so air flow is not as big a deal.  Just not available at this time for sale :(

4. Since you don't want to mod the unit, just leave the lid cracked 1 to 2 inches.  Make a small block out of metal for the lid to sit on when in the closed position, this will help a lot with air flow.

5.  Or just tell the better half to call me and I will change her mind about mods  ;) ;) ;)
Just have her read my post on the subject :) :) :) :)       

Remember, the SRG was not designed to be a real smoker your just adding flavor of smoke. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:09:42 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:35:59 PM »
When is the Smokin Tommy ring gonna be availabe? or is it gonna be available? I like that idea.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »
When is the Smokin Tommy ring gonna be availabe? or is it gonna be available? I like that idea.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
At this time it's not gonna happen due to cost.  Hope one day to bring it to market
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:45:30 PM »
At this time it's not gonna happen due to cost.  Hope one day to bring it to market
What are you making them out of?
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »
What are you making them out of?
same metal just to must waste and that cost money.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline mdnuts

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 01:46:41 PM »
thank you.

When you say start the run at 5'oclock - how full do you do the pellets - i had mine to the top of the ring solid all the way around.  I like the idea of the holes in the ring - I just didn't think of it for some reason.  I could probably hole the heck out of it.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »
If I need a quick smoke only. Few inches but if doing butt I go half way around the ring   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline mdnuts

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 08:27:57 AM »
oh no kidding? guess I over did that....

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 08:58:58 AM »

Well, let your tastebuds will help you decide how much smoke you like. It is a personal preference thing. But chances are - as you get more comfortable with this...you may find a little less smoke is fine. Too much smoke can be overpowering, and possibly hide the flavors of the food that you are cooking.
Tommy has committed a miracle in figuring out a lot about the Big Easy and SRG products. And - has made them do things that the manufacturer originally said they could not do - or could not do in a practical sense. But, Tommy made it work.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline mdnuts

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »
would you say you generally use a measuring cup worth of pellets spread around?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »
would you say you generally use a measuring cup worth of pellets spread around?
hard to say,  to be honest I've done this for so many cooks I just do it by feel.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 05:49:58 PM »

Well, let your tastebuds will help you decide how much smoke you like. It is a personal preference thing. But chances are - as you get more comfortable with this...you may find a little less smoke is fine. Too much smoke can be overpowering, and possibly hide the flavors of the food that you are cooking.
Tommy has committed a miracle in figuring out a lot about the Big Easy and SRG products. And - has made them do things that the manufacturer originally said they could not do - or could not do in a practical sense. But, Tommy made it work.Thanks Tee,  :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker