Author Topic: Beef ribs in TBE?  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Ben Cartwright SASS

Beef ribs in TBE?
« Reply #-1 on: January 16, 2016, 10:49:27 AM »
I have done turkey, chicken, wings, legs, and a beef roast but was thinking of doing some beef ribs. Walmart has them, racks of 4-6 ribs in cryovac  [sp]

I was thinking of getting to racks and then standing them up, somehow, and let them go.  Has anyone done them in the TBE?

also as a side note, I know it is infrared but just was wondering what temp does the cooking chamber get up to?  I was wondering if I could rig a grill like the SRG has.  I just laid a grill over it last night but the temp at the grill was only about 400 degrees.

I did ok with a roast the time I did it.

22.5 WSM
14.5 WSM
mini-WSM
TBE
Weber Silver B (bought new 2000)
Weber OTG 22.5

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Beef ribs in TBE?
« on: January 16, 2016, 11:10:07 AM »
On HIGH the SRG can go well over 400, it depends on how well seasoned the chamber is, the weather (is it cold and windy? ) and if you were to cook with the grill grate on with food in the chamber ( I highly recommend you don't) the temp wil go WAY high and burn food very fast because it sends all the infrared back down on the food  ??? ??? ??? bad very bad, unless you my better half then burnt food is good  :D :D :D ???

As for beef ribs only way I know how to cook them in a TBE would be to start them naked till the get a crust started then season and wrap in foil til done then maybe place back in for a few mins to tighten up the crust.   Because foild meat will steam you will lose some bark when finished so placing them back in will help you 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »
The Big Easy can grill just like the SRG but you need a grill design like the SRG to do it. Grill grates for example will work or you can buy a SRG replacement grill from char-broil and use it on your Big Easy. That is what I did with mine.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 01:33:58 PM »
It looks good to me . But if you don't like it ,i  will take it off your hands .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Ben Cartwright SASS

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 08:26:17 PM »
The Big Easy can grill just like the SRG but you need a grill design like the SRG to do it. Grill grates for example will work or you can buy a SRG replacement grill from char-broil and use it on your Big Easy. That is what I did with mine.

I don't care about the smoking feature on the SRG, so the grill mod may well give me a pseudo SRG without the added cost
22.5 WSM
14.5 WSM
mini-WSM
TBE
Weber Silver B (bought new 2000)
Weber OTG 22.5