Author Topic: Trouble keeping SRG lit during winter?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Gavelwrench

Trouble keeping SRG lit during winter?
« Reply #-1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
I've had an SRG since this summer, and I've been having a blast with it cooking almost every weekend.  Since we've started getting some nasty winter weather over the last few weeks though, I've been having trouble keeping the flames going in the SRG.

The past two weekends it's been in the 20s while snowing with a lot of wind.  Both times I've tried cooking, after an hour of so I'll check the SRG and the flames have gone out.  Seems like there's still gas flowing since I can hear it, but I have to start it back up.  Today it's done it to me twice, I'll walk away for a bit, and when I come back the flames are out again and the temp is ice cold.

Has anyone else had any issues like this?  I did notice my drip tray was askew in the bottom, and I'm wondering if gusts of wind are sweeping in through there and putting out the flames, but I'm really not sure.  Seems like the propane is flowing fine as far as I can tell.  I've been cooking on low both times, not sure if that has anything to do with it (like if it doesn't do well in cold/windy weather on low for some reason).

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!  Really don't want to let the bad weather stop me from cooking in it!

Offline aliengriller

Re: Trouble keeping SRG lit during winter?
« on: January 17, 2016, 02:49:30 PM »
Think all of us have had this problem.   My take it is the wind, breeze, hurricane, tornado, whatever you call it.    That flame is not a large one and my solution is to build a "windbreak" of some sort--IF the wind isn't too bad, something small like a small table on it's side or even a propped up piece of wood.    Around here--the Texas Panhandle, the wind blows all the time, often more of a gale than wind.    Just don't use the SRG then--try an alternative.   You just need to figure out a way to keep the wind from affecting the flame.   You also might check your regulator--maybe it needs an adjustment or cleaning. 

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:45:43 PM »
Take a look at the bottom of this post http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=8505.msg113133;topicseen#msg113133
TMB/Tommy has come up with all of the great mods for the SRG and this one is a necessity if you live in a high wind area. I turn mine to put the back to the wind, start it on high with the lid up. I have found that leaving the lid up for a couple of minutes lets things warm up and keeps things lit, you should then be able to set the flame where you want it.

Tommy or others may have other suggestions as well, this one has solved my problems.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 05:57:38 PM »
You definately need a  windblock to get out of the wind..that is yoru worst enemy now..I bought a new range cover a few years ago but it really blocks the wind from almost 3 sides, I do it in front of a garage. so I'm covered by 3 sides.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 05:59:06 PM »
Moisture in the regulator vent might cause this problem. The vent hole is very tiny and if blocked the gas flow will stop or reduce greatly. Make sure housing is try and free from frost or ice. Moisture can make it's way into the regulator housing or form on the inside.

Temperatures changing from cold to warm can cause condensation to form. For example SRG is stored in the house and regulator housing is room temperature then you bring it outside into 20F weather. Or regulator housing get's condensation formation due to low dew point levels...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 07:58:45 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.   The SRG is a great cooker (as you know) but wind and some bad weather can cause issues.

Saber4  posted skirt I did a few years back and it does work well.  BUT another few things will help you out in cold weather  cooking

1.  If possibe try to keep your SRG or TBE in doors like a garage or tool shed.   The regulator does not like being real cold and the burner feels the same way.  If at all possible try to keep them above 40 to 45 degrees. they will work much better

2. Add the skirt or block all wind if possible, this will help alot and cost very little to nothing if you have some house flashing.

3. IMHO, try to keep the tank indoors as well, cold fuel running through a cold regulator & burner = ice and that's a bad thing ??? ???

If you can't keep it indoors try this...  Fire up the SRG and let it run 10 mins or so then turn it off & cover it with a welding blanket (Harbor freight has them cheap)  this will pre-warm the SRG prior to cooking and it does work 

This issue was brought up a few years back on the CharBroil forum and was tossed around for a few months with all kind of ideas.
The ones here IMHO work best, but I do not know where you live nor conditions it's being used.

So hope this helps   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 08:14:20 PM »
Tommy's response reminded me of another extreme cold tip that I have used on propane heaters that would probably help in this situation. If you place your propane bottle about half way up in a tub of water it will keep the gas above freezing and flowing/burning better.

Offline Gavelwrench

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 10:04:56 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone!  I made a windbreak from a cardboard box yesterday and that made a difference, but not a great long-term solution.  The shield seems like a great idea, looks like I have a project for next weekend.  In the meantime it's off to the tool shed to get it out of the snow.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »
Also, watch out for leftover gas when you restart it after it goes out. Make sure you let it clear before you start it again.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill