Author Topic: First and second cook in new SRG  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Roget

First and second cook in new SRG
« Reply #-1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:06:02 AM »
First cook was just some brats and hot dogs on the grate.
Second cook (last night) was a couple of chicken thighs and legs inside the chamber.
I brined them for about 2 hours, then applied rub. (I used way yonder too much rub)
Started them on high with the lid closed, then turned the heat down to low.
I flipped them over at 40 minutes and browned the other side.
They took almost exactly an hour. I probably cooked them longer than I needed to but I wanted to err on the side of caution. They read at 170-180 before I pulled them.

They were very good. The extra time and temp did not dry them out at all.
Next time I will just sprinkle the rub, so as not to get so much.

Any other tips on how to improve the cook will always be welcome.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:31:28 AM by Roget »
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: First and second cook in new SRG
« on: May 23, 2016, 11:25:15 AM »
Tip one..   Make sure the skin om chicken is dry before cooking this way you will get crispy skin
Tip number two... I cook my chicken till almost done then open the lid for the last few mins this lets the moister out of the chamber and you will promote better skin and color of the meat in IMHO   ;)

If cooking in the chamber the need to flip food wont really do much since there is infrared all the way around the food,  also I carry my IT's of chicken well into the 170's because infrared will not dry food like an oven or other cookers.  Heck I take turkey breast to 180 sometimes just to make sure the dark meat ie in the 160's

if you need help posting pictures let me know I'll get you going
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Roget

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:49:02 AM »
I finally figured out how to attach a picture.
This is about halfway through the cook (maybe 30 miuntes)

First time adding a picture from my phone. (and Photobucket keeps changing.)

Thanks for the tips, Tommy.
Your right, the skin probably was not completely dry. I wasn't sure about flipping. I did it because the top was beginning to char. I may have had the heat up to high. I thought maybe the lid worked somewhat like the top does for the TBE.
I'm still working on how high to turn the heat.

YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:06:50 PM »
I finally figured out how to attach a picture.
This is about halfway through the cook (maybe 30 miuntes)

First time adding a picture from my phone. (and Photobucket keeps changing.)

Thanks for the tips, Tommy.
Your right, the skin probably was not completely dry. I wasn't sure about flipping. I did it because the top was beginning to char. I may have had the heat up to high. I thought maybe the lid worked somewhat like the top does for the TBE.
I'm still working on how high to turn the heat.
This may have been due to the rub you used.  High sugar rubs will burn easy in infrared so be careful
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Roget

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 02:44:13 PM »
Yes, You may be right about too much sugar in the rub.
It didn't have much, but when I was mixing the rub up I tasted it, & didn't like what I tasted. Something tasted bitter to me. So I started playing with it & probably added too much sugar.
Will it brown faster (more) with the lid down than it will with the lid open or does it do about the same either way?
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
Yes, You may be right about too much sugar in the rub.
It didn't have much, but when I was mixing the rub up I tasted it, & didn't like what I tasted. Something tasted bitter to me. So I started playing with it & probably added too much sugar.
Will it brown faster (more) with the lid down than it will with the lid open or does it do about the same either way?
What I find in my cooking is the lid down the meat does not brown as much nor as equal  than if the lid is up.    When I cook turkeys and or chickens I cook lid down till IT is close then I open the lid to finish the cook.  I find better results this way, but other tell me they cook lid down entire cook where others cook lid up all times. 

So it's really up to you to see what works best

Now butts in the SRG are cooked lid down right til the end then I pull them.   But pork ain't chicken so crisping skin ain't a problem with a butt :D   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Elzic

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 06:54:31 AM »
You're gonna love this thing!

Not needing to flip is one of the things that has spoiled me using the SRG. 

When grilling, if I can't see the bottom side as I go I have been known to flip to often or too soon.  But knowing that what I can't see in the SRG is pretty much the same as what I can see...remedies that for me. 

Mind you, if you're using two racks the top rack might cook a bit faster than the bottom, but the bottom sides should still pretty well match the visible tops....sometimes you just have to pull the top rack first.
Elzic
Norfolk, VA
Novice Producer, Experienced Consumer.
Big Easy SRG

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 08:33:24 AM »

When grilling, if I can't see the bottom side as I go I have been known to flip to often or too soon.  But knowing that what I can't see in the SRG is pretty much the same as what I can see...remedies that for me. 

Mind you, if you're using two racks the top rack might cook a bit faster than the bottom, but the bottom sides should still pretty well match the visible tops....sometimes you just have to pull the top rack first.
Reason I made this mod to the basket so I could pull lower pieces of chicken without having to remove the top rack
 http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=39.msg182#msg182
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 10:17:19 AM »
The SRG is a fantastic chicken cooker. Give some wings a try. With the racks you can load the basket up!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Roget

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 10:50:51 AM »
That mod looks like it would definitely help when you are cooking several layers.
Does cutting the wires compromise the stability of the basket?

I mentioned doing that to my basket & my wifey said "are you crazy". I said well, yes but what's you point?

I too, have been looking for some baskets or racks that will fit the SRG. I would especially like to have a basket similar to the one that fits the TBE. It appears the half racks are the only thing Charbroil  offers for the SRG. I have checked everywhere I can think of and can't find anything that will fit.

Muebe, I just cooked wings in the TBE a week of so ago, (they were great) but haven't tried them in the SRG yet. Wifey told me she is ready for some pork.
Our Granddaughter lived with us up until last week and would not eat pork, so for the last ten years we have eaten a lot of chicken. I think I will try a butt in the SRG some night this week and then try the wings this weekend. I could eat wings every week. Wings & beer just can't be beat.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 11:03:36 AM »
That mod looks like it would definitely help when you are cooking several layers.
Does cutting the wires compromise the stability of the basket?

I mentioned doing that to my basket & my wifey said "are you crazy". I said well, yes but what's you point?

I too, have been looking for some baskets or racks that will fit the SRG. I would especially like to have a basket similar to the one that fits the TBE. It appears the half racks are the only thing Charbroil  offers for the SRG. I have checked everywhere I can think of and can't find anything that will fit.

Muebe, I just cooked wings in the TBE a week of so ago, (they were great) but haven't tried them in the SRG yet. Wifey told me she is ready for some pork.
Our Granddaughter lived with us up until last week and would not eat pork, so for the last ten years we have eaten a lot of chicken. I think I will try a butt in the SRG some night this week and then try the wings this weekend. I could eat wings every week. Wings & beer just can't be beat.
I'll look to see what size mine are for TBE and the SRG.    I know they can still be found on line.  I bought 12 sets so I would never run out  ;)   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Elzic

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 09:40:33 PM »

Reason I made this mod to the basket so I could pull lower pieces of chicken without having to remove the top rack
 http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=39.msg182#msg182

That is a pretty great idea, sir!   (...and i think i already have a couple of those cooling racks)
Elzic
Norfolk, VA
Novice Producer, Experienced Consumer.
Big Easy SRG