Author Topic: While chicken and red potatoes on SRG.  (Read 2653 times)

Offline CMartinEnt

While chicken and red potatoes on SRG.
« Reply #-1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:16:58 PM »
I am getting ready to put a whole chicken and some red potatoes in the SRG. I am going to use a lemon pepper rub, but had a quick question. I have read to brush the bird with oil halfway through to get a crispy skin. How will it turn out if I use peanut oil on it before I rub?  I don't want to burn the skin, and this is my first time trying to use he SRG as a rotisserie.
Thanks!

Offline hikerman

Re: While chicken and red potatoes on SRG.
« on: July 10, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »
I am getting ready to put a whole chicken and some red potatoes in the SRG. I am going to use a lemon pepper rub, but had a quick question. I have read to brush the bird with oil halfway through to get a crispy skin. How will it turn out if I use peanut oil on it before I rub?  I don't want to burn the skin, and this is my first time trying to use he SRG as a rotisserie.
Thanks!

CME, I don't have an SRG but, if you are spinning this, maybe wait on the oil and see how it goes. If you are  using a rottiserie it should be easy to oil it as it moves!

Offline CMartinEnt

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 07:00:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply, but the SRG is not a typical rotisserie. It's an ifared cooker. It's a new version of Charbroils The Big Easy. I'm about to rub now so I'm just going to go without the oil and see how it goes!

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:04:47 PM »
Oh I misunderstood you. I thought you somehow rigged up a rotisserie to your SRG!
Good luck!

Offline CMartinEnt

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 08:13:54 PM »
Thank you!  Hopefully tomorrow I can get a post up.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:27:06 PM »
I have the old TBE and I always oil to get a crispy skin.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 10:46:26 PM »
Tho you don't have time for this one...try this the next time you want to cook a chicken: clean it out, and wash it, pat dry. Place it uncovered on a cookie cooling rack above a pan. Stick it in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. I have left chicken thighs like this in the fridge for 5 days and it was a little too long - but still good. When you pull the chicken out to cook it, allow it 30-45 minutes to warm a bit. Then wipe it down again with paper towels. Spray a very very light amount of oil ( Pam works well for this ) then apply whatever rub you like. Fire up the cooker - and place the chicken - and cook.

What happens is that the refrigerator will remove a lot of the water from the chicken's skin. It will not dry out the chicken. At all. But the skin will be great. It is the best way I have found. The skin will rival fried chicken for crispness if you do this.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 01:06:17 AM »
Dry-brining a whole bird in the fridge works better for me than just leaving it in there to "air out." Also consider adding an equal amount of baking powder to the salt for extra crisping - may not be necessary in an SRG but good in grills and ovens (and a great way to make crispy wings without frying).

TMS&ISTI.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 08:36:59 AM »
For my cooks I clean the birds inside and out, pat dry inject butter/rub mix  (if no time to brine) then cook in the SRG.

Butter on the skin really crisp well and I never had a bad one since I learned to remove the moister from the skin before cooking.   

If you want to use oil use oil it will work as well.  Just remember you need to remove as much moister as you can before adding thee oil to the skin
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Roget

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »
Dry-brining a whole bird in the fridge works better for me than just leaving it in there to "air out." Also consider adding an equal amount of baking powder to the salt for extra crisping - may not be necessary in an SRG but good in grills and ovens (and a great way to make crispy wings without frying).

TMS&ISTI.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does the baking powder help with the crisping of the skin?
Do you just mix the salt, baking powder, & any other ingredients together & dry brine?
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline stalag

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 01:11:30 PM »

TMS&ISTI.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does the baking powder help with the crisping of the skin?
Do you just mix the salt, baking powder, & any other ingredients together & dry brine?

The baking powder on the skin surface helps to remove the water in the skin making it extra crispy in the process.  This is by the reaction between the baking soda and the acid in baking powder.  Water is required for the reaction and when baking powder is rubbed on the skin surface of a chicken, the source of the water is the skin.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline Roget

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »
Thanks Stalag.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:08:13 PM by Roget »
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker