Author Topic: Question about injecting meat  (Read 4358 times)

Offline junep

Question about injecting meat
« Reply #-1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
My new Charbroil just finished the 45 minute seasoning, and I have my shopping list ready to head to the store with me; but I bought one of those injectors I've seen people using on you tube and BBQ shows, but what do you inject with and how much do you know how to use????

Normally I just roast a chicken seasoned with salt and pepper in and out, and  stuffed with some garlic, orange, apple and onion wedges, and sit it on top of more of those with some celery, carrots, etc. and pour over more orange juice and pale dry sherry. So all those flavor permeate the meat and make a lovely, natural sauce; but since I read that you don't stuff a chicken when cooking in the big easy, I figure the only way to get flavor must be to inject it and use some kind of a rub; but I have no idea what to use or how much to use. I could probably find some recipes on line for what to inject, but have no idea how much to use for a 3 lb chicken! Thanks for any help.
Conformity is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Question about injecting meat
« on: August 30, 2016, 04:15:41 PM »
I usually brine my birds, but yours is small..go for a stick of butter, I add gahhlick and whatever else flavor I like.    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Pappymn

Question about injecting meat
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:57:32 PM »
Brining works great. But as Pam said, butter with some herbs is really good too. One stick should be enough for a small chicken
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:17:22 PM »
I like  chicken with S & p some garlic powder & just that.  The big easy cooks it so good as is. I think some people put butter under the skin......
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline junep

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 09:25:23 PM »
I usually brine my birds, but yours is small..go for a stick of butter, I add gahhlick and whatever else flavor I like.    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Thanks. I couldn't find a 3 lb chicken on sale. I had to settle for a 5 lb; but I'll just roast that one in the oven if friends want to come for dinner Friday or Saturday. I had to go to a second store where I found a 4 lb one. So I'll probably cook that one for myself and eat a lot of leftovers. 

Offline junep

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 09:27:10 PM »
Brining works great. But as Pam said, butter with some herbs is really good too. One stick should be enough for a small chicken
I think I'll do just that. Thanks for your suggestion.

Offline junep

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 09:31:14 PM »
I like  chicken with S & p some garlic powder & just that.  The big easy cooks it so good as is. I think some people put butter under the skin......
Thanks, I'll salt and pepper in an out, and rub it with some butter that I've melted with some crushed garlic, since I try to use fresh garlic whenever possible (I grow my own, and have just harvested several bulbs). I too, like a bit of garlic flavor in my roast chicken and usually put a couple of cloves in the cavity when roasting.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 09:45:25 PM »
BUTTER!!!  I love to add spices to butter and inject then coat the skin with the leftover injection
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 09:57:46 PM »
And...as much as I hate to offer this advise as a healthy alternative... :D ;D ;D ;D I have used chicken broth with seasoning that have been steeped or simmered in it.

And - if you can - allow some time to let the seasoning method of choice some time to permeate the meat and spread itself around a in the muscle tissues. Bear in mind - it is best to chill any injection material to 40F or lower  - and keep the chicken cold as you can too. Food safety announcement over now.... :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline junep

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 01:13:18 AM »
Butter should be it's own food group. I'll have to try that - just better and spices? I'm thinking I could melt the butter with some sliced fresh garlic and and a few fresh sage leave, salt and maybe a touch of cayenne, and use that. I have a recipe for rock cornish hens that calls for putting a few fresh sage leaves under the skin and it's a delicious recipe, so maybe seasoning the butter with the sage, garlic, butter and maybe a touch of lemon might be a nice marinade to inject and use on the outside as well. I'll just use a quarter of a lb of butter as one member suggested, and take a chance. Thanks!

BUTTER!!!  I love to add spices to butter and inject then coat the skin with the leftover injection

Offline junep

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 01:17:13 AM »
Good advice. I think I could probably use a herb, spice, garlic, lemon juice infused butter on the exterior, then use chicken broth with the butter mix as the injection marinade. I do like food experimenting. Now I just have to figure when I'll be able to try this!

And...as much as I hate to offer this advise as a healthy alternative... :D ;D ;D ;D I have used chicken broth with seasoning that have been steeped or simmered in it.

And - if you can - allow some time to let the seasoning method of choice some time to permeate the meat and spread itself around a in the muscle tissues. Bear in mind - it is best to chill any injection material to 40F or lower  - and keep the chicken cold as you can too. Food safety announcement over now.... :D :D :D

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 01:41:07 AM »
Butter should be it's own food group. I'll have to try that - just better and spices? I'm thinking I could melt the butter with some sliced fresh garlic and and a few fresh sage leave, salt and maybe a touch of cayenne, and use that. I have a recipe for rock cornish hens that calls for putting a few fresh sage leaves under the skin and it's a delicious recipe, so maybe seasoning the butter with the sage, garlic, butter and maybe a touch of lemon might be a nice marinade to inject and use on the outside as well. I'll just use a quarter of a lb of butter as one member suggested, and take a chance. Thanks!

a small suggestion..watch if you put herbs on the outside of the chicken..they will burn in the big easy...put under the skin or in your marinade.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Hub

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 08:13:15 AM »
My favorite injection for chicken is EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) infused with garlic.  Mash and mince five or six garlic cloves until they are very fine textured and mix in the olive oil without making any blockage for the injection needle.  Use about 2/3 of your injection (half a cup for a 4-5 lb. bird) in the breasts -- injecting both deep and shallow, lots of small injections to distribute evenly.  The remaining 1/3 goes in the meaty portions of the legs, same method.  Thighs don't really need the injection as much due to their excellent natural fat/lean balance but you can add a little if you want.

Injections in meats that tend to be dry (e.g. chicken breast meat and brisket) can make a huge difference in juiciness and contribute a little extra flavor to bland meats, too.  As several suggest, you can use butter for extra richness.  I like the EVOO because it doesn't overpower the chicken meat flavor quite as much.

Here's a "Basics" article on marinades, injections, and brines:  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=17977.0

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 08:23:37 AM »

a small suggestion..watch if you put herbs on the outside of the chicken..they will burn in the big easy...put under the skin or in your marinade.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

What did the chicken say to Pam????

You are getting under my skin ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D

I have never done that but it sounds great......I got to try that without pulling the skin apart
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
TG..just put 1 finger under the skin and start going across chicken skin sideways..it will separate easily for ya to do what ya gotta do..good luck..it's easier than you think.. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron